Welcome to Consumerism Commentary! This website was one of the first blogs to focus on money from a personal finance perspective, and Luke Landes was the first blogger to share monthly financial updates, such as his net worth statement, with no restrictions. Consumerism Commentary is now a premier personal finance blog offering daily articles stemming from current events and events in the author’s own life.
Vision, Mission, and Purposes
The Vision of Consumerism Commentary shall be to exist in a world where people live fulfilling and financially stable lives.
The Mission of Consumerism Commentary shall be to develop financially literate, capable, and successful human beings by sharing educational, entertaining, and engaging writing.
The Original Purpose of Consumerism Commentary shall be to hold myself accountable for my finances and my decisions.
The Five Purposes of Consumerism Commentary shall be
- to encourage consumers to step back from the automatic and think about their choices;
- to develop in readers a desire to improve their finances;
- to support financially sound practices for the home and workplace;
- to foster independent, secure, and free financial lives; and
- to instill in all people a drive for excellence.
Consumerism Commentary is a personal finance blog. The writers are not necessarily financial professionals, so readers should not make any important decisions based on the information published here alone. If you want specific, personalized financial advice, seek a trained financial adviser.
A brief history
Luke Landes created Consumerism Commentary in 2003 in order to hold himself accountable for the state and progress of his own finances. “Although I had a rocky experience with my money following my undergraduate studies, by the time I started this blog I was on the path to being in decent financial shape. In order to take the next step, I believed starting a blog would help. My plan was to regularly publish my account balances and spending information so I could publicly track them over time and perhaps gain support from readers.”
Today, Luke is back on his feet financially and his blog is one of the leaders of the now burgeoning financial blog community. Consumerism Commentary offers tips and reviews of financial products such as the best savings accounts and credit cards. Above all, it provides a community for individuals interested in improving their own finances.
Luke’s commentary on personal finance is often cited in major publications and columnists and authors frequently seek his opinions.
Mainstream media and other popular online publications have featured stories about Consumerism Commentary. Notable mentions include the Wall Street Journal twice, Yahoo’s Ten Money Blogs Everyone Should Read, Money Magazine’s Best Web Sites, in addition to a number of others. Consumerism Commentary was featured in BusinessWeek Online and was named in Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine as a Must-Read Blog.
You can now subscribe to and read Consumerism Commentary on the Amazon Kindle.
In my own words
Here is a short list of interviews in which Consumerism Commentary participated (to the best of my memory). Before I publicized my name, I was known as “Flexo.”
- Personal Finance Hour: Interview With Flexo From Consumerism Commentary
- Money Quantum Private Beta Begins Today: An Interview With Flexo From Consumerism Commentary
- MoneyBloggerPodcast: Interview With Flexo From Consumerism Commentary
- 10 Questions: 10 Questions With Flexo
- HelpYourMoney.com: Interview With Flexo of Consumerism Commentary Blog
- Moolanomy: Interview with Flexo of Consumerism Commentary
- Money Crashers: An Interview With Flexo from Consumerism Commentary
- An Interview With Flexo From Consumerism Commentary
- More to be found in Consumerism Commentary in the Press
Updated July 18, 2014 and originally published October 1, 2011. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.