Last week I started a contest to give away my copy of The Maui Millionaires by David Finkel and Diane Kennedy. I didn’t exactly give the book a glowing review, but there might be some value for someone else. (Plus, it’s free!) There were 40 entries, and the only requirement was to name someone whose company or conversation is worth $30,000, though I allowed quite a bit of freedom for those who wouldn’t pay that kind of money for anyone’s companionship. There were some great answers:
* “I’d like to sit down with Albert Einstein to discuss his thoughts on String Theory. I would not pay $30k to do it though.” (Jeremy)
* “I’d really like to meet someone like Jon Stewart.” (Matt #1)
* “I’d pay 30k to meet YOU, flexo!” (Teresa)
* “Shakespeare. The guy’s genius is unmatched, except perhaps by Cervantes or Jesus.” (Leo Babauta)
* “I think youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢d pretty much have to go with one of the Big Guys. So, I’d probably go with Jesus.” (Chris)
* “I would love to meet Jesus so he can heal me. I’ve been sitting in this chair way to long.” (Michael Monaco)
* “Hmm if I had 30k, I’d probably wanna kick it with Jesus for a day.” (Jay)
* “Have dinner with Jesus and bring DaVinci along to paint the portrait of the entire dinner party…” (Yo–Yo Mama)
I did detect a theme, here. Personally, I was pulling for Teresa. The Fates had other plans, however. I used random.org to generate a random number between 1 and 40, and the number picked was 36, corresponding to a comment by Matt (#2):
I think I would pay 30K to hang out with Larry David for a day.
Now the very strange thing is I happened to be watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, a television show produced, written by, and starring Larry David when preparing this post. What a coincidence! Congratulations, Matt. The Maui Millionaires, plus a bonus book, will be on the way this weekend. I hope you enjoy it and manage to get more out of it than I did.
By the way, the attached image should be proof the number was randomly selected.
Updated February 10, 2011 and originally published January 31, 2007.