Didn’t Receive Your Economic Stimulus Payment Yet?

Welcome to Consumerism Commentary. If you are new here, consider subscribing to our RSS feed (more info here). Consumerism Commentary always has the latest information about the economic stimulus payment.

Several disappointed people contacted me today. They expected to receive their economic stimulus payment deposited into their bank account today but they have not seen the deposit posted online yet. According to the payment schedule, individuals whose Social Security numbers end with two digits between 00 and 20 and who have direct deposit banking information on file with the IRS should have received their deposit by today.

If you’re looking for your money, check the schedule first to ensure you’re not jumping the gun. Keep in mind that this schedule is only “accurate” for those who filed their taxes by the usual deadline.

After you’ve verified that the government expected you to receive your payment already, you can fill in a form online to ask the IRS about the status of your payment. This form will apparently only work for those who filed their tax returns over 6 weeks ago, so it sounds like the government may be late with some payments depending on when you filed.

Don’t confuse the “where’s my stimulus payment?” form with the “where’s my refund?” form.

Important clarification! It’s important to consider that if you filed your taxes through a third party like H&R Block or Turbotax, you may have opted for an accelerated refund in the form of a refund anticipation check, refund anticipation loan, or similar product. If you received an accelerated refund, you will receive your stimulus rebate (if you qualify) via paper check, not direct deposit. Also, if your tax preparer deducted any fees from your tax refund, your stimulus payment will arrive via paper check, not direct deposit. Furthermore, if you filed through a third party and owed taxes, the IRS will not have your direct deposit information, so if you qualify for a stimulus payment you will receive it via paper check.

TurboTax is Easy, Free Edition, Fast Refund

Updated September 17, 2011 and originally published May 2, 2008. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.

avatar nickel

Also, some banks don’t post these sorts of transactions immediately. I bet a lot of them will show up overnight tonight.

avatar Sasha

I don’t get one. Not a dime. =(

avatar Eric

I got mine on schedule. It’s sitting in my ING Direct savings account right now.

Nanny nanny boo boo!

Direct deposit on file, SSN last 2 in the 00 – 20 range. Filed back in late February.

avatar Jeremiah

There are apparently a lot of people whom did not get their check on time. I happen to be one of them. I have called the IRS and also spoke to my bank. What i got from the IRS is a number to call to see if your check is going to be offset. Basically what that means is if you have unpaid student loans, balances owed to the IRS and a few other types of debts, your check will go towards that balance. If you call the IRS you can also get this number. Also, if you go to irs.gov, you will eventually find a link to track your stimulus check. My social ends in 05 and i filed mine through turbotaxonline.com very early this year. According to the schedule, I should have gotten mine yesterday. I have yet to see this deposit. Using the tracker, I found mine is actually set to be deposited on May 9th. So try using the tracker from the IRS website, and call them for the offset number.

avatar Liz

My stimulus payment showed up in my accounts on May 2nd, which was my expected date, since I have a SSN in the 0-10 range. I e-filed my taxes in February.

avatar Ron

We were supposed to get our rebate by Friday 5/2/08 and have not received it yet….we filed out taxes thru H&R Block and I’ve been reading if you filed thru H&R Block and your had your check directly debited into your bank account that it would be sent in paper form.

avatar jodi

Those who filed with Turbo Tax, H&R, TaxAct…..and had either a refund anticipation loan or paid for the tax preparing service by having the money taken directly from their refund…will receive paper checks.

Your refund was actually deposited into your bank account from a third party. If you opted to pay by credit or debit card or used a program like Turbo Tax’s free edition your stimulus will be direct deposited.

You can check online with your bank or on your bank statement and check who exactly sent you your income tax refund. If it wasn’t the IRS, you will have to wait.

avatar relindat

Mine was schedualed for may 2nd,website for irs said it would be deposited then.Direct deposit, and efile,no RAL.But still no rebate. SS ends in 11, filed early. Did everything correct,however did not recieve.

avatar Samantha

I read the comment about filing online and paying the tax prep out of your refund. I checked my account and saw that I received my taxes Direct Deposit TAX REFUND PER RALDEPT. Is this considered a deposit that ends up in a paper check instead of direct deposit for the stimulus? Thanks in advance!

Samantha: It sounds like you opted for a refund anticipation loan. You’ll receive a paper check for your stimulus payment.

avatar thomas

I hate the fact that I ended up paying taxes this year, and I’m not getting my money till the end. I also don’t know if it will be DD’d. I’m assuming it will be a check since there was no refund for me this year. Just sucks that I think those who owed might need the money the most.

avatar datbboot

I filed first week that filing could start on efile.com, got my refund direct deposited on Jan 25, last 2 digits of ss is 17 and i did not get a stimulus payment yet!!!!!! why not???

avatar shoes23

So, my ’08 refund was deposited by direct deposit by “US TREASURY 220″. Is this the IRS? Will I get my stimulus payment direct deposited as well? My last two of my SSN are in the low 30s. Since deposits for the stimulus payments began early any guesses when I might get mine? I know the original payment schedule said by the 9th…..

avatar DCS

AAARRRRGGGGGHH!!!!
Last two: 08
Filed late in January, direct deposit through TurboTax online.

Yet I too have not received my dang stimulus payment Some stimulus In anticipation of it being deposited I paid our mortgage, which sent our bank acct. into the negative because the economic “joke’s on you” stimulus refund never showed up. Looks like they fooled me again!
Govt.-23
Me-0

avatar broke in Michigan

Found out through this website and now through the IRS site “where’s my stimulus payment” service that even though we filed early and are in the first 00-20 group that we won’t receive our payment by direct deposit but by paper check sent out May 16th.
AARRGH! Took two days off this week to “stimulate” the economy and complete a project with this money. Because we allowed Turbo Tax to take our fees right from our refund we don’t qualify for the deposit. You’d think the IRS could take 5 minutes to add this information to their website and clarify who will qualify for the direct deposits and who won’t! Now we have lost two vacation days and we will be banking instead of spending. Oops guess that plan didn’t work! Now the only thing being stimulated with this at our house is my blood pressure!

avatar Sandra

I filed using turbotax and received my federal refund on 4/2 directly deposited to my checking account. I have not received a payment yet. My SS# ends in 01. I went to the IRS’ website and filled out the “Where’s my stimulus payment?” form. It said “We are sorry. Specific information about your Stimulus payment is not available.” I don’t understand why this would be since I filed my ’07 taxes at least 6 weeks ago and received my refund via direct deposit. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

avatar romy

i e-filed on March 29th on the H&R free file website and owed $225.00 which i paid direct from my bank account on April 2nd. I was supposed to get my stimulus payment as well on May 2nd (I checked the stimulus payment calender), but of course I didn’t. I am also pretty angry about this. Why bother posting a bogus calendar online if they’re not going to follow it? It’s so irritating. I tried to track my payment online and also by calling the IRS but got the “We’re sorry, no information is available” message too. They stink. :(

avatar Moese

Similar challenges here. Original refund was direct deposit. Amended refund was sent paper check. Rebate “locator” says check being sent on May 16th…

avatar Paul

I got the same answer after trying both the phone # and the website form. Mine should have been here the 2nd and after thorough checking on the website, I meet all of the required criteria. I can’t seem to even get a live person to talk to on the phone to find out what’s what. Frustrating as hell!

avatar Paul

There is a phone number that you can call to obtain information regarding your payment. 1-866-234-2942. Press 1, then when you are prompted to press either 1 or 2, DO NOT. You will then be transferred to a live IRS employee who can pull your account and tell you the status of your payment, but be prepared for a long wait. It is worth the wait though just to know what the status is.

avatar twin7901

I don’t recall hearing all the info about tax prep fees taken from refund (turbo tax) until I already paid bills according to the deposit dates either. The local news went on and on about it but NEVER pointed out that filing fees played a part. Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!
Sister gets her direct deposit 5/7 original date was to be 5/16 so 9 days ahead for no filing fees out of tax refund.
On Turbo Tax you gave auth for Santa Barbara Bank and Trust to handle your refund so how is the IRS saying we had the fees taken from the refund. The full payment was given to SBBT IRS had nothing to do with the filing fee did they?

avatar Playing the waiting game

What some people do not understand is that if you used a 3rd party such as H&R block or turbo tax, jackson hewitt etc. And paid for the filing out of your refund then this is what happens.
You file your taxes. The 3rd party sends them into the IRS with their account information. They set up a temporary account for you social security number through there bank. The IRS recieves your returns and then sends a payment to the 3rd party’s account.The 3rd party then takes there money out and Direct deposits the rest into your personal account based on your name and social. Note here only the 3rd party has your account info. The IRS never recived it so how are they supposed to direct deposit money into your account if they don’t have the account number.

This is why your Original refund must say US TREASURY on your bank statement. That tells you that the IRS dierctly deposited it into your account and not a 3rd party.If the IRS does this then they obviously have your account number which means they will send your stimulus to that account. If the account is closed it will bounce back thus initiating a paper check.

avatar twin7901

thank you for clearing that up, now I understand

avatar priyanavneet

Hi,
I filed returns in mid feb, but later I found that I made a mistake. then I filed the correction form f1040x, and got the corret benifit and tax returns. But now when I checked the status for Stimulus returns, it says,
“You did not qualify for the Stimulus payment because you were claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer.

Helpful Information:
The 2008 tax instructions will include a worksheet to help those who did not qualify for a payment or those who received a reduced amount determine if they can obtain a benefit when they file their 2008 tax returns next year.”

But I do qualify for stimulus returns. Please suggest me what shall I do now.

Thanks

avatar MB

I am in the same situation as Moese,

My original refund was direct deposit (from the US TREASURY). I ammended my return and was sent a refund check, *which is the only way ammended return refunds are currently issued.*

My ssn ends in 44, and I am supposed to have a check issued on May 16th according to the payment locator. This is strange because ssn’s ending in 39 through 51 are supposed to be mailed no later than June 13 according to the schedule.

I can only assume those who ammended their returns get a check along with the first batch scheduled to receive checks.

I wonder if this issue is worth a call to the IRS? I see no mention of ammended returns on the stimulus pages.

avatar dazed

We are in the same boat. SSN ending in the range that should have deposited as of May 2nd. Filed VERY Early in February, received our rebate months ago electronically. Used our accountant (not HR Block or anything like that) and efiled. Waiting for a big Stimulus payment, and as of the days close today (May 5th) Still no payment. Checked with the bank and they say “according to the IRS It should be here already” and so- we wait. What a pain. I am certainly pleased to be receiving it but as of right now I am still telling myself I will believe it when I see it.

avatar kayla

My husband and I filed married filing jointly. We have three kids who qualify. When I enter my info in the “where is my stimulus payment” field, It says it cannot find information about my payment. does this mean I won’t get one? We filed through eztaxreturn.com and there was a fee with that. does that mean we get a paper check? I’m so confused!

avatar mt

Hi, I amended my return as well, but I have not received a check yet for my amended return. My original was direct deposit and my last two SSN are in the second bracket…. how long did it take for you to receive your amended return??? Has anyone in the second bracket gotten their rebate yet????/

avatar Angel

The reason you have no information online may be due to your refund being more than a week away . I was reading that they only information you can get is in the week before your refund is sent to you . Kinda dumb I know …. that’s the government for you though .

Angel

avatar Paul

I contacted H&R Block this morning. They told me that my check will be comming in the mail because I got the rapid refund when filing my taxes via TaxCut. They said that with the rapid refund, they loaned me the money and were paid back when the actuall check came in. Thus, the IRS never got my account information, and everything was gone through H&R Block. Hope this helps. It didn’t help my financial situation, I can tell you that.

avatar kayla

does anyone have the # you can call to speak to someone about this?

avatar kayla

I found the hotline for the stimulus payment if anyone needs it. 1-866-234-2942

From what I’m hearing, If yo e-filed at all & were charged a fee you will be mailed a check. sucks.

avatar BF

avatar Sandra

If there are so many people in this situation then why didn’t the IRS just add a paragraph explaining this on their site? It would have taken no additional effort on their part. It’s a shame when one has to go to so many different sources to get correct information when it could have easily been provided in the first place. The mere fact that the IRS managed to pull of distribution of any of the stimulus funds is nothing short of a miracle. Although, I’m grateful for the money it’s a huge mistake to “stimulate” the economy in this way. Just imagine the amount of money spent by the government to implement this process.

avatar Chad

I fell into the same trap as everyone else. I was bakning on my check for a vacation that is already booked. However, after looking on the IRS website it does tell us that 3rd parties will be a paper check. Look here: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=181665,00.html. Read the second paragraph. I feel like a complete idiot now! I wish they gave the option to give them your account number so they can direct deposit this.

The second paragraph states:

If filing or preparation fees were deducted from your 2007 Refund or you received a rapid refund, you will be receiving a check instead of a direct deposit.

That does *not* include people who received a *regular* refund (not a rapid refund) and paid their filing or preparations *separately* (rather than having them deducted from the refund amount). *Most* people who file online choose to reduce their refund by the filing fee amount, so these people will receive a paper check. Many people receive refund anticipation loans or prepaid credit cards, and these people will receive a paper check. Anyone who owed taxes rather than received a refund will receive a paper check.

Only those left after the above eliminations will receive a direct deposit (if they qualify in the first place) — and only if the Treasury Department has legitimate banking information on file from your 2007 return.

avatar Darla

I am supposedly going to be getting a nice stimulus check – I have 8 qualifying children, but come on, this is the US Government and I won’t believe it until I see it in my account. No matter what their website or anyone else says. I feel sorry for those that ‘banked’ on their stimulus check and didn’t receive it yet, but aside from my paycheck I NEVER ‘bank’ on money that’s supposed to be coming from anywhere! The IRS says I will have mine DD’d by May 9th, but like I said, until my bank says it’s posted, I won’t even get happy! Hang in there everyone!

avatar Andrea

Yes, I did and this is ridiculus, why they didn’t explain that only who received direct deposit from &^%$#@ IRS will have direct deposit. Now we think we will have the money when we don’t tus we did had a direct deposit for the return, but was from a third party, like on my case when I used Turbo Tax and let them deduct from my refund.

avatar Hamakua808

Thanks for the number! I am trying it right now. My last 2 digits ends with 13 and still never got a dang penny! All well, thats life I guess!!

avatar steph

Whats is so crazy is they know is is getting what and who qualifies for what this is just a kjoke to hols up people money because they had there fee taken out they know this has been the way peopl file there returns for years they need to just send the checks like I said they know who will get them if they are really trying to boost the ecnomy I know pwoplw that are trying to keeptheir homes out of forclosures and they have a schedule of when u can spend your money

Here’s another tip. If the *tax refund* you received via direct deposit has “RALDEPT” in the transaction description at the bank (check your account online or your statement when you receive it) then you will receive a rebate (if you qualify) *via paper check.*

If your direct deposit of your tax refund has a description like “AUTOMATED CREDIT US TREASURY 220 TAX REFUND” then you will receive your rebate (if you qualify and if your bank account is still active) *via direct deposit.*

avatar twin7901

A lot of people banked on having these funds by the dates listed on irs.gov , the newspaper , the news stations, and prop tons of web sites. The Irs didn’t add the section about “direct deposit and fees” until 5/1. It says so right on their web site. We have been hearing about this wonderful stimulation to our economy for months on the above mention avenues. I did not give it a second thought until I heard you could check the date of your DD because they were coming early. We are not crazy that info was JUST ADDED 5/1. I am grateful for the money in my pocket but depressed when I discovered it would be over a month from when I thought I would get it. I know several people spending it right now.

avatar lisa

I filed married filing seperately and claimed my 2 year old son on my original return and later filed an amended return to include my husband and his 6 year old son. My husband never filed his own return. His return was filed on my amended return. I was wondering if we are going to recieve a stimulus check for him and his son. All the information I have been receiving indicates that the stimulus payment will be based on the original return. Will I first receive a payment based on my original return and then later receive an additional payment for the amended return?

avatar jasperj

Both my sister and mother have SS#s that end in the 70s and they both received their refunds on Tuesday. My SS# ends in the 20s. I called the number provided above, since my money was still a no show in my account, I found out my refund won’t be deposited until Friday. That sucks. I guess it doesn’t pay to have lower numbers.

avatar MB

Just a follow-up,

I called the IRS yesterday and, according to the lady I spoke with, if you ammended your return you will receive a paper check. This will happen even if you had direct deposit initially.

-MB

avatar SD

I am amazed that so many of you have either spent the money already, or are angry/surprised you haven’t gotten this money yet.

Grow up! This is the US government we’re talking about. Since when does anyone trust them to handle communication and finances reliably? Gimme a break! I’ll believe it when I see it.

avatar Lori

Did you find anything out? Sounds like our families and situations are the same. My husband filed ours by himself with complete tax and there are fees with that also? But there are fees with them all, so who will get electronic deposit?

avatar lysi78

Here is the link I used to track mine. They said it will be deposited May 9th (my last two ss digits are 72) https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof/IRServlet?app=IRACTC

avatar SD

BTW, the afore mentioned “schedule” of pmts has ours coming to us May 9th. When I called the phone # offered above, they gave me a date of June 18th.

When I use the link lysi78 offered (above post) it tells me, “We are sorry. Specific information about your Stimulus payment is not available.”

Like I said before, I’ll believe it when I see it.

avatar Pob08

My question is, has anyone received a paper check before dates posted? Some people said others have but im not sure thats true. If so does that push the dates up again?

avatar Star

So, I did my taxes online in the begining of Feb. I did them online for free through taxact.com and had my refund direct deposit, last two in SS is in the 20′s so I thought I would get it Friday 9th, right? NO, just got off the phone with IRS…Taxact sent their bank info to IRS and deposited my money to their account and then transfered it to mine…So I’ll get a paper check too. I’m mad!!

avatar Rich

“Comment #33 by BF (reply)
May 6th, 2008 at 10:38 am
Please note that if you e-filed and owed taxes, you will receive the stimulus check in the mail. No direct deposit. This is true even if you had your bank account debited by the IRS.”

does this also apply if i owed state tax? i didnt owe federal, but i owe state.

avatar Ann

“Comment #33 by BF (reply)
May 6th, 2008 at 10:38 am

Are you sure this is true? I did file and pay my taxes through TurboTax. However, there was a question/form at the end that specifically asked me if I wanted my stimulus payment direct deposited. I marked yes and gave them my bank information so I assumed I’d be getting mine already. Still no information about it. Why would they even have bothered asking if I wanted it DD if they were just going to send a check anyway? That really ticks me off.

avatar Lila

So, I’m looking at my 2007 Tax Forms and on the Form 1040A on line 44-it states that if you want direct deposit to fill out lines 44b, 44c, and 44d. I have them filled out with my direct deposit info, but used turbo tax and had my fees taken from my refund.. So I don’t understand why the IRS is wanting to send out paper check for those who used turbo tax, H&R block, ect. If the bank info is on the forms??

Lila: In your case, the IRS does not have your banking information. You provided it to H&R Block, but they did not transmit it to the IRS. The IRS sent your refund to H&R Block’s bank account, H&R Block deducted your filing fees, and then sent the remainder to your bank account. Since your banking information is not on file with the IRS, you will receive a paper check for your rebate.

avatar Lila

Flexo, I understand the whole thing with using Turbo Tax and all those other tax preparation sites, and it sucks!! I talked to an IRS agent and I guess the line 44 on the 1040A form is for DD, but Turbo Tax is the one that uses it and not the IRS. Anyone who used Turbo Tax and had their fees deducted from their refund had a code placed on their file-so that the system will automatically place them for paper checks. I did see on a website the “new” stimulus payment schedule-it’s only like a week faster than the one the IRS has posted!! Luckily, I wasn’t counting on the stimulus check, but it sure sucks that Turbo Tax is not doing something about this “error” on their part. There are some people who really put themselves in a tough spot counting on those funds.

avatar ERIC

HELLO REGUARDING THE STIMULUS REBATE. I WAS UNDER THE UNDERSTANDING THAT ANYONE THAT FILED A 2007 TAX RETURN WOULD RECIEVE SOME SORT OF A REBATE. MYSELF I AM MARRIED WITH THREE CHILDREN. I MADE JUST UNDER 40000 THIS YEAR. WHEN I CHECKED THE STIMULUS CALCULATOR I WAS TOLD I QUALIFIED FOR 2100 DOLLARS. HOWEVER I SHOULD HAVE RECIEVED MY REBATE AND HAVENT. SO I CALLED THE IRS AND SPOKE TO A MS. GLOVENS. FIRST SHE TOLD ME IF YOU USED H N R BLOCKS TAX CUT AND HAD THE E FILE CHARGE TAKEN OUT OF YOUR RETURN IT COULD DELAY YOUR REBATE BECAUSE THE IRS DIDNT LIKE ANYONE TO CHOOSE THAT OPTION. THEN I WAS TOLD I WOULDNT RECIEVE A REBATE AT ALL BECAUSE MY CHILD TAX CREDIT MADE IT SO I DIDNT PAY ANY TAXES THIS YEAR. THIS DIDNT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME I DIDNT RECIEVE A VERY LARGE RETURN THIS YEAR. IT JUST SEEMS TO ME IF I DIDNT GET ONE. THAT MORE THAN HALF OF THE COUNTRY WOULD BE EXCLUDED ALSO. MY INCOME AND RETURN WAS CLOSE TO AVERAGE.

avatar grace

After extensive research, I found out I would be getting a paper check stimulus payment because I e-filed and had the fees taken out of my refund. What I’m wanting to know is: Should I expect my check to be mailed by June 6 (as the IRS site says for people in my number range) or will it be delayed further?

avatar Nancy

I to just realized the whole “If you paid a filing or preparation fee you get yours by mail”

That information would have been nice like yesterday!!!
I really wish the media would point this out to everyone
how many people DID NOT see this and are waiting for there check..
I am not at all surprised..after all it is the US GOV we are talking about.

I just need mine to buy a crappy used $1500 car!!!
Now we have to wait till June 13th

This SUCK’S!!!

OH well another month of not being able to go anywhere
and having to relie on friend’s to take my daughter to & from school…

avatar ERIC

THAT IS PRETTY MESSED UP BUT I DONT THINK YOU READ MY WHOLE COMMENT. THE IRS TOLD ME I WONT GET A REBATE AT ALL BECAUSE I RECIEVED A CHILD TAX CREDIT ON MY FEDERAL TAX RETURN WHICH MENT I PAID IN THE SAME AMOUNT AS MY RETURN. IT SEEMS ANYONE WHO DIDNT PAY IN MORE THAN THEIR TAX RETURN. WILL NOT GET A REBATE AT ALL

avatar Becky

I’m in the same boat as you! My last 2 SSN is 17. I filed electronically in February, and received my refund via DD two weeks after. I owe no taxes to the IRS. My DD due date was May 2, but it is now May 7 and still no trace of my stimulus payment. If you find anything out, please post!

avatar Becky

You said you spoke with an IRS agent? Can you let me know how to go about contacting the IRS? The only numbers I can locate lead me to recordings and no live assistance. I should have received my payment on May 2, but am still waiting.

avatar Sherri

Eric,
I personally think your IRS agent doesn’t know what she’s even talking about. The reason you get the additional child tax credit it to reduce your tax in the first place. If you did the calculator and it said you qualify for a rebate, as long as you have no offset with child suppost, student loans or backed taxes, you’ll get a rebate. When checking the irs website for where’s my stimulus check, it has to be the week of your expected payment before it can give you information of when you’ll receive it and how much your getting. Now, it don’t always come up. It seems at peek internet use it says “oops you made a mistake”. Try it early. I got my info about noon, and just for kicks tried later in the day and it said no information is available. I’m suppose to get it on may 9th. You may be getting a paper check, so don’t get discouraged.

avatar Tamra

The where’s my stimulus payment tool on the IRS website did not work for me all week. We are in the May 9 group for DD. I was starting to really worry that we would not get ours on time because every time I checked on the website, it said that no info was available for our payment. Well, today I called the rebate hotline number and put my info in, and FINALLY got an answer. It said ours is scheduled for Friday the 9th and now finally tonight our info also finally came up on the IRS website.
For those of you who are not getting any answers from the website, and you know that you should be getting your DD soon I would definitely recommend you call the hotline and check on there. The number is 1-866-234-2942 and you will need the same info that you enter on the IRS website. SS#, filing status and # of exemptions.

avatar Terodar

Shandra,

I had this problem i had entered 0 under exepmtions or whatever that part of it was called. When i changed it to 1 it worked. I’d suggest double checking to make sure you entered the right number there.

avatar Donna

Eric,

From my understanding, if you did not have a tax liability you will receive no rebate.

A tax liability and tax payments are two different things. Perhaps your credits wiped out your liability.

avatar ERIC

YEAH THATS EXACTLY WHAT IM SAYING. THE FACT IS MOST LOWER INCOME HAS NO TAX LIABILITY THEREFOR MOST LOWER INCOME FAMILYS WITH CHILDREN WONT RECIEVE A REBATE AT ALL. EVEN THOUGH THE REBATE CALCULATER FROM THE IRS SITE TELLS YOU YOU WILL.

avatar ERIC

YOU CAN GET LIVE ASSISTANCE FROM JUST ABOUT ANY NUMBER. EVEN IF IT ONLY OFFERS A AUTOMATED RESPONSE COMPUTER BY NOT PRESSING ANY BUTTONS YOU WILL BE TRANSFERED TO AN AGENT. IT WAS ABOUT A 15 MINUTE WAIT FOR ME.

avatar Tamra

Eric,
I may be wrong, but from what I’ve read on the IRS website and what I understand is that even people who don’t have a tax liability due to low income usually will still qualify for the minimum rebate of $300 for single or $600 for married couples plus the $300 for each qualifying child. As long as you made at least $3000.00
My husband and I are getting the minimum of $900.00 for us and our daughter, because we didn’t make much (25,000). Our tax liability was wiped out by the child tax credit too, but we’re still getting the rebate. I think you should still be getting one. Maybe you should call and talk to a different IRS representative. It just doesn’t make sense that you wouldn’t get one.

*edited*
-I just got this straight from the IRS website rebate FAQ’s section. It says that even if you have No tax liability, you should qualify. I’d definitely call them back.-

Some people with no tax liability also will qualify. This includes Social Security and Railroad Retirement beneficiaries, recipients of certain veterans’ payments, low-income workers with earned income and/or benefits of at least $3,000 and individuals who have combined income of at least $3,000 from any combination of these sources.

avatar Stepane

The part about the child tax credit is not true. I don’t know who told you that but I would call again.

avatar Sherri

I have to agree with Stephane. If you get child tax credit, that reduces your tax liability. You do still qualify for the rebate. The tax liablilty before the credit is what they base your stimulus on, then add your kids in at $300 each. I honestly don’t think anyone with IRS or H&R block know what they are doing half the time, from the postings I’ve been reading. I only read information from irs.gov to get my answers, seems to be the most accurate information out.

avatar Barb

I just called about mine, and this may be of use to some of you: if you filed by mail, the schedule doesn’t apply. Nice, since, if you file on-line, it’s usually through a 3rd party, so not sure who actually gets DD by that schedule. Anyway, I filed by mail, last 2 of SS would have had me scheduled to receive DD tomorrow, but my tax return has just been processed, so it will be 2 more weeks.

There seem to be so many exceptions to the rule that I recommend just calling.

avatar Rey

I feel sorry for that person who posted about the Stimulus check tracker… According to the IRS website it warns people from entering in any information about your identity to any website. They also stated that there’s no such thing as a stimulus check tracker…. This might be the reason why she/he hasn’t received their check. =)

Heads up everyone!

Rey: The IRS warns against scammers, but the rebate/payment check tracker form *hosted on the IRS website* and linked to in the post above is legitimate. The IRS created the form and it’s hosted on their own secure server.

Additionally, the information you enter on the form at the IRS website is encrypted before it is sent to their server.

But if someone calls you and asks for your info, or if you are not sure that you are actually on the IRS secured website, you should certainly refrain from supplying any personal information.

avatar Rey

real smart lol, writing a check while knowing the funds are not available is a crime… and stupid.

avatar Sue Kesselring

For all of us who had our e-filing fees deducted from any tax refund when we filed our 2007 taxes…we get to wait for the snail-mail to send us a check!

No one told us about that, now did they? Of course not.
What a pain in the you-know-where.

And, when you call the 1-800 number listed on the IRS site, requesting status of your rebate, it clearly states that we need to hold onto the notices about our anticipated rebates for next years tax return.

What the heck is that all about?

avatar Jim

So let me get this straight. I used TurboTax to file. I owed the IRS money (measly $10) which I had automatically debited from my account. TurboTax asked me my account info for my stimulus to be Direct Deposited. If Im reading this right, I will have to wait for my stimulus via paper check? Why would TurboTax ask me for my bank info after I had filled out my taxes if I was not eligible for Direct Deposit?

avatar Sean

H&R Block shammed everyone (seems like turbotax and a bunch of others did as well).

I personally chose the refund anticipation check with direct deposit in order to pay my hefty H&R block fees out of my refund, as my returns are a bit more complex than others. They even went out of thier way during the final calculations to tell us that we’d get a Economic Stimulus payment. (thier computer system calculates it for you)

Our friend works as a preparer for H&R block and they are pushed to always attempt to get you to get a Refund anticipation loan. If they can’t sell that, they’ll shoot for getting you to agree to a refund anticipation check. They make more money per-return on the fees from the RAC / RAL.

They KNEW that anyone who filed either a RAL or RAC has no way of getting thier Economic Stimulus payments direct-deposited, but completely withheld that information. Our H&R preparer friend was told to only use the phrase “you’ll get your Economic Stimulus payment automatically”.

There are going to be legions of people waiting for money in the coming days and they’ll have to wait another month (some maybe more).

H&R Block (and the rest of the preparers) had the obligation to tell us that if we chose RAC or RAL, even if we used direct deposit, they we would get paper checks for Economic Stimulus payments.

The American public fucked again :)

avatar LowIronMom

I filed through H&R Block, had direct deposit for my tax refund, have a ss# last 2 of 38 and was suppose to receive my stimulus on 05/09 however it was direct deposited and ready to use on 05/06/08 – Go Figure. I am a happy girl. Just wanted to stop the rumor that H&R block is causing paper checks.

avatar Terri

Well as far as I’m concerned the ONLY thing being stimulated is anger, frustration and blood pressure with regard to this payment schedule.

I’m disabled and AM grateful for the money, buuuut…
I mailed my 1040 on March 22 (from PA – going to KS) and was told they just received it on MAY 3 !!!!!

I’ve had things going to or coming from the west coast and it took on average 6 days, so needless to say I’m a little more than frustrated.

The woman I spoke to said I mailed it early enough, but now I have to wait an additional 4-6 weeks for my payment. She also told to call back every week to check the status of payment. I’m glad I didn’t schedule any payments for today, that would have added insult to injury with overdrafts.

Thanks for chance to vent.

avatar MB

Wow, I bet it only took about 2 days to get to KS through the postal service, and the rest of the delay was the IRS. Sorry to hear they are so slow!

Hopefully it wont be 6 weeks for your stimulus payment!

avatar Deb

NO DIRECT DEPOSIT FOR MOST USING COMMERCIAL TAX PREPARERS – Jackson Hewitt, HR Block or other commercial companies for this reason:

Unbeknownst to us – when you chose to have the tax prep fees taken out of your “directly deposited” refund YOU WILL GET PAPER CHECK adding another month to the wait – because your return was not deposited into your account by the IRS. It has gone through the company’s banking system and then deposited by them.

If you have not received your stimulus deposit – you may have inadvertently “chosen” an RAC or RAL.

Just an FYI:
A “refund anticipation check” (RAC) is the non-loan bank product that many commercial tax preparers and their bank partners offer in addition to refund anticipation loans (RALs). They are sometimes called “refund transfers” or “accelerated check refunds.”
RACs are also commonly provided to taxpayers who do not have the up-front cash to pay for tax preparation. In these cases, the preparer deducts the tax preparation fee from the consumer’s refund when it hits the dummy account, prior to cutting the RAC check to the consumer.
Tax preparers and their bank partners have sold a significant number of RACs. In 2002, about 1.75 million H&R Block customers were sold this product. The main bank partner for Jackson Hewitt, Santa Barbara Bank & Trust, sold approximately 3 million RACs in 2003 and has stated that RACs are actually their most popular tax refund product.

avatar priyanavneet

Hi,

I talked to IRS person. and they said u ll not get Stimulus return if your original filing shows that u ve calimed dependent by someone else. even if you filed 1040x form later to change the filing status.

He said this is computer generated, and it reads only original return and can not be changed (what a stupid logic).

Please suggest me solution. I am going to loose $600 due to this silly mistake I did. Can I cunsalt any IRS layer or someone like those to resolve this issue , or I am really not eligible due to mistake made in original return file.

Thanks

avatar JennBunney

So my tax payment check bounced on April 17th. I have had the money in the account since (no blame, I was stupid and didn’t get the money in on time)

How will this affect my stimulus check? The IRS has not tried to run the check again, and I have received no notice regarding my bounced payment.

FYI I filed thru my accountant and selected to have my check DD. I should be paid 5/9

avatar Joe

I received my check this morning. My last 2 SSN was 52 so I was expecting it by today. It was in my bank account this morning. I used TurboTax software, but didn’t have any fees taken out of my refund. My refund was direct deposited back in March. I checked the IRS website the other day. I entered in my SSN, how I filed, and the no. of exemptions we had. It said the check would be deposited today. Everything worked fine for me. Don’t give up hope. Good luck.

avatar v23envelope

Hi,

I received a bulk of mail after having the post office set up a mail forward to my new address. In the bundle was a notice stating my income tax check had bounced.

Have you heard anything back? Is the IRS holding our stimulus until everything is paid? Wish I had the notice with me right now..

avatar ANX

Any one know the new stimulus pay schedule since the old one seems garbage now. I was scheduled to get my refund this morning the 9th. Saw the news on TV last night reguarding Turbo Tax DD were now being mailed. Just wondered if that meant we are to refer to the mailing refund schedule or if will be mailed some day we were due to get them originally.

avatar MDpdx

The last two digits of my SSN are 02, my Husbands are 10. We filed jointly and did our taxes back in February, received our refund back in March.

We were scheduled to have our payment direct deposited on May 2nd. Didnt get anything. We waiting until today, still nothing. What gives? We didnt use HRblock or Turbotax but did them online through another program. We dont owe the IRS money, and yes we have student loans, who doesnt?? I know plenty of people who have student loans and who still got their money.

This sucks.

avatar csd

Yep, just found out that the money that was expected today will not be today. Had no idea about the issue with Turbotax until today..wish i had know.

Now get to wait until the end of june for my check.

Kind of took the shine off the weekend.

I was also supposed to have my rebate deposited on 5/2, but still haven’t gotten it. The phone number listed on the IRS website doesn’t connect you to a real live person, so it’s impossible to figure out that somehow the direct deposit that I set up through TurboTax doesn’t count as direct deposit, and that apparently I am getting a paper check.

It’s good to see that the IRS still is operating with top notch efficiency – just like the DMV!

avatar ERIC

FOR COMMENT #69 AND OTHERS I WOULD BELIEVE THAT THE IRS DOESNT KNOW WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT BUT WHEN I SPOKE TO A MS GLOVENS SHE WENT OVER MY ENTIRE RETURN AND ALSO STATED IT WAS IN MY IRS FILE THAT I HAD NO TAX LIABILITY. THEREFORE I DONT QUALIFY FOR A REBATE. ACCORDING TO HER THAT IS WHAT ALL THOSE CREDITS YOU GET WHEN YOU FILE YOUR TAXES IS FOR. SO LOW TO LOWER MIDDLE INCOME FAMILYS DONT PAY AS MUCH TAXES. HOWEVER THAT LOWERS YOUR LIABILTY. AND ACCORDING TO AN IRS AGENT NO LIABILTY EQUALS NO REBATE. I CAN ONLY HOPE IM WRONG BUT I SHOULD HAVE RECIEVED MY REBATE ON THE 2ND. AND ITS STILL NOT HERE. I TOLD A BUDDY OF MINE ABOUT IT. HE ONLY MADE 27000 HAS TWO KIDS. BUT HE GOT A 6600 INCOME TAX RETURN. WHEN HE CALLED HE WAS TOLD THE SAME THING HE WILL NOT GET A REBATE.

avatar ERIC

HEY MATT WHEN YOU CALL THAT IRS NUMBER DONT PRESS ANY BUTTONS AND YOU WILL BE DIRECTED TO A PERSON.

avatar JR

Wait… here is one for you. So, my husband and I filed “married filing separately” because by our calculations, he would get a BIGGER refund even though I owed money. So, in the end, that particular filing status would get us more of a refund.

However, I was suppose to get my today DD but nothing. He got his DD already. After doing a little research, looks like since I OWED money and paid it on time, I get it by check. Meanwhile, my husband got a refund AND already got his DD.

Nice.

Bunch of BS.

avatar ivyflower

I did the same exact thing. Efiled, owed taxes, paid them with my credit card and I should have gotten my check today, but nothing. The online service at the irs says they have no information for me and the phone recording say the same thing. I have no clue when to expect the money! Actually, I was really expecting it today……

avatar fran

Not going happen you will get a paper check you went through a 3rd party Turbox tax

fran: ivyflower’s getting a paper check not because he/she filed through Turbo tax, but because he/she OWED taxes. The IRS won’t have any direct deposit banking information on file. Some people who file through Turbotax can still receive their stimulus payment via direct deposit, but they have to meet certain conditions. See the post at the top of this page.

avatar ivyflower

So because I owed the irs and paid them on that day I will need to wait for a paper check? Seems odd because my payment cleared just three days later. Okay thanks for the help.

avatar Lilo

I smell ANOTHER Class action suit against H&R Block in relation to this situation.

avatar beagle

so you filed an amended return that got you back more money and you have also already received your stimulus payment as well?

avatar leano

We were expecting our dd today, but as of 4 o’clock, nothing. You can get through to the IRS by calling 866-234-2942, pressing the prompt for what language you would like, and then do nothing, you will be transferred to an operator. Used Turbo tax and had fees deducted, so we will get our paper check in SIX WEEKS! Check your bank account deposit history to see who deposited your refund. Ours says Tax refund per RALDept. Pretty disappointed, thinking for weeks we would get it today and now we have to wait until June 20th for it to be mailed.