FreeCreditReport.com is a Scam!

This article was written by in Consumer. 327 comments.

Updated: Get Out of FreeCreditReport.com’s “Triple Advantage”.

This isn’t the first time, but now the State of Florida Office of the Attorney General is investigating FreeCreditReport.com. You’ll notice I don’t link to the site. This site, run by credit reporting agency Experian is taking advantage of the ruling that anyone can receive a free annual credit report from each of the three major agencies.

FreeCreditReport.com is not the website that offers free credit reports in conjunction with this directive. It’s misleading, and here’s the fine print on the site:

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don’t cancel your membership within the 30-day trial period, you will be billed $12.95 for each month that you continue your membership. If you are not satisfied, you can cancel at any time to discontinue the membership and stop the monthly billing; however, you will not be eligible for a pro-rated refund of your current month’s paid membership fee.

FreeCreditReport.com has been investigated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and has been required to pay a significant penalty. However, they apparently have been allowed to keep operating.

The only way to get your free annual credit report is by going through AnnualCreditReport.com. To check your credit score for free at any point, you can use Credit Karma.

If you have already exhausted your free annual report, you can sign-up for a 7-day free trial at GoFreeCredit.com. You’ll receive three credit scores and well as three credit reports (with an easy option to cancel if you choose not to keep the trial membership), access to your scores each month and daily credit monitoring to help protect your Identity and Credit.

Hat tip to Red Tape Chronicles for the news about the Florida AG investigation.

Updated June 17, 2014 and originally published November 16, 2006. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.

Luke Landes is the founder of Consumerism Commentary. He has been blogging and writing for the internet since 1995 and has been building online communities since 1991. Find out more about Luke Landes and follow him on Twitter. View all articles by .

avatar Laura

Hi, my name is Laura and I am an analyst at Balestriere Lanza, a trials and investigations law firm in New York. I saw your post on expressing a desire to be contacted if any potential class action law suits against Free Credit Report were in the works. Our firm has been investigating Free Credit Report’s potential misconduct for several months and would be interested in hearing more from you about your experience. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at laura.sayler@balestriere.net or at (212) 374-5400 x 133.

avatar Martin C. Dennis

Our office has been charged for free credit report.com for about 6 years. We finally discovered that one of the secretaries failed to cancel. It should never have been charged to our account.

avatar Jenny

This must be how freecreditreport.com pays for their commercials. I had the same experience – I went on their website , tried to cancel and was told over and over again that there is no refund available for the $14.95 they charged. THIS IS HOW THEY PAY FOR THEIR COMMERCIALS!!! With $$$ they get for doing nothing for their customer. What a scam.

avatar KANDY

The TRUE ASSURE FREE CREDIT REPORT IS BOGUS THEY GET YOU TO SIGN UP SAYING FREE AND THEN AFTER 3-7 DAYS THEY WITHDRAWL AMOUNTS UP TO 49.95 OUT OF YOUR ACCT UNTIL YOU NOTICE AND CALL & THEN THEY HASSLE YOU ABOUT YOUR REFUND AND MOST OF THE TIME DON’T GIVE IT TO YOU AT ALL!!!! THE AGENT THAT ANSWERS THE PHONE WILL TELL YOU THEY CAN ONLY REFUND 1 MONTH AND THEN THEY GET THE SUPERVISOR WHICH TELL YOU THEY CAN ONLY DO 1 MORE AND THEY HAVE 2 SUBMIT FURTHER REQUEST TO COPORATE WHICH IN TURN SEND YOU AN E-MAIL SAYING THEY CAN NOT REFUND THE MONEY ITS YOUR FAULT YOU SHOULD READ WHAT U SIGNED UP FOR!!!! I WORK THERE AND TRUST ME DO NOT USE ANY OF THEIR SITE THEY HOOK YOU THRU FREESCORESTRIO, ANNUAL DREDIT REPORT, FREE CREDIT REPORT.COM, TRUEASSURE AND SEVERAL OTHER CODE NAMES THEY USE TO ROB YOU!!!! BEWARE!!!!

avatar shane

You work there but you don’t even know those sites are all run by separate enties? Wow…

avatar angrysword

Jason’s solution works for me. they finally say they will refund my first charge $14.95. But i am still fighting to get my second charge which leads me buy three credit score report. that report make no sense at all. the credit score is useless. be careful for this site.

avatar Obama

This is the biggest scam ever save your money! they will take money out of your account with out your permission and then it is hard to cancel membership.

avatar Johanna

I just wanted the 1 month membership and decided not to call after the 1 week trial, as of now, it is 1 week, not 9 days like some of you are saying. I just noticed my credit card being billed 99.95$ for the annual membership, so for the ones that said this is not a SCAM, I have a clear example that THIS IS A REAL SCAM! I called them just now, today is day 9 after I signed up, and they said, sorry but we cant give you a refund, I read all out to the rep that the website clearly says that after 1 week you would be charged a monthly membership not a year one! I was so furios I could not believe they really were trying to steal my money! I asked to speak to a supervisor and after going over the situation with him again, he said, fine we will refund you the 99.95$. I would never ever use their services again!

avatar George Jetson

There is no way you were charged for an annual billing rate. You can’t get that unless you call and ask for it. I have an annual account and it’s only $79.95 and it has been for a long time. Get your facts straight.

avatar George Jetson

Hey, how many of you idiots actually read the important information on the site before signing up? I did and it told me I had to CALL in to cancel within 9 days. I also noticed that it ASKED if I wanted to upgrade to a 3 bureau report for $24.95 and that it would charge me immediately for that. I pressed the button that said no thanks. You people who think this is a scam are too stupid for your own good. And that lawyer needs to do some research before she starts asking about a class action suit. It’s simple people, READ before you give someone your credit card info and quit complaining when you don’t.

avatar frank

Hi George Jetson. How long have you been working for those scumbags?

avatar George Jetson

So you feel that everyone that has a good experience with this company must work for them? No, I just pay attention to what I sign up for.

avatar buckwheat

you are a damn liar. and why so bitter? you didn’t find many victims today? perhaps you don’t work for them as an employee, you are probably one of the scumsuckers who direct innocent victims to their site for a piece of the action. where do you post your fictitious listings? on craigslist, maybe? also, nobody has a good experience with this website, except the slimeballs like yourself, who profit from the naivete of the innocent people who are victimized by these parasites. have you ever considered working for a living, instead of victimizing the innocent?

avatar George Jetson

first you call me a liar and then you call me bitter? I think you may need to look in the mirror. I believe you may be the bitter one because you didn’t look before you leapt. Like I said in my original post, read the information before you put your credit card info into any site and you won’t get “ripped off”.

avatar buckwheat

Haha, I did not get taken by them, George Jetson, you moron. I have more brains than that. But some people are much more innocent and naive than I am, and I am trying to help those people. Every time you defend this scumsucking company, you make it more and more clear that you are either employed by them, or you are one of their click through fraudsters. I seriously doubt that you are the satisfied customer that you pretend to be. How do I know that? They don’t have any satisfied customers. They have only victims who are trying to get their money back.

avatar claire moore

I agree with George Jetson. We need to be responsible for our own action. Saying that ‘I am not aware of that”is not an answer. That is why before everyhting else is done, there are what we call terms and conditions. In the first place, nobody forced you to sign up. It was your choice to know where you stand in your credit. THE LAW EXCUSES NO ONE! If you accidentally hit a person crossing the street, you cannot just say Ï was not aware that he would cross the street”. You have to be caustious at all times. Especially, you are providing your credit card information. Read discaimers and terms and conditions, there are reason why they are posted on the website. Don’t blame your own mistakes to someone. Accept it that you did not read the disclaimers and terms and conditions and move on!

avatar jake

Can you honestly say a site called “FREEcreditreport” that auto signs you up for a billed service and only allows you to cancel via phone is not a scam? Yes people should be more careful but that doesn’t mean the site isn’t a scam.

avatar George Jetson

If you cancel within the trial period you do receive a free credit report. It’s not a scam, it’s what they call negative option marketing. Many companies do it, people just need to take responsibility for their actions.

avatar Jackson

Wrongo. I tried, they give you a false report. I compared it to the authentic one from annualcreditreport.com.

avatar buckwheat

Tell me, George, if you are not affiliated with these slimeballs, why do you keep defending them? Just because you are a satisfied customer, correct? hahahahaha.

avatar Not born yesterday

Yo George. I never visited the site, never gave out credit card info, never knew what was going on until I read my bank statement. My banker told me that there are unscrupulous internet companies that sell credit card numbers and names to OTHER companies to be used at their discretion. So obviously reading the fine print wouldn’t apply in this case. The fact that there are so many people with the same complaint can’t be a fluke. More power to the lawyer who takes up this case. I’m on the band wagon for sure. If you want to pay a monthly fee so that you can sing along with their tv commercials by all means have at it. The truth is you have been scammed but are too embarrassed to admit it.

avatar Crystal Lake

Asside from the fact that the credit reports really aren’t free….I believe what the real scam is are the people they have posting fake job openings and when you send them your resume they reply back and say somthing along these lines…
“Thank you so much for sending us your resume. We have reviewed and would like to set up and interview with you. Before we can set up an interview, due to past misuse of the company credit card we will need you to get a copy of your credit report. We recommend this site….”
Then guess what that site is! So, I fell for it the first time but then after the next 15 responses on jobs I got were exactly the same and even after I emailed them back to inform them I had my report just to see what happend…never heard another word.
Considering I am a single mom and truely needing to find a job and sending out resumes like crazy it is extremely frustrating when I waste my time sending my resumes and responded to the fake ads to get you to get a credit report and now I find out that it’s NOT REALLY FREE. I don’t really have the money to pay them! Something really needs to be done about this company!

avatar frank

yes, I agree Crystal. Unfortunately, they also use a similar scam by posting bogus apartment listings on Craigslist. The bogus postings outnumber the legitimate ones. Of course, each application must be accompanied by a “free” credit report from guess who. They are victimizing not only job seekers like yourself, but also people who are looking for a place for their family to live. I wish these scum could be sent to jail.

avatar buckwheat

Hi Crystal. You are spot on with your assessment. These phony job postings are put on Craigslist and other sites, trying to entice people like yourself into signing up with these criminals. They also do the same routine by posting rentals, but demanding a “free” credit report from guess who? What do they get out of it? They get a tiny piece of the action when somebody clicks on the link in their bogus ad, and signs up with the shysters. I suspect our friend George Jetson fits into this category.
I call them click through fraudsters. Meaning, when some victim clicks on the link in their bogus ad, the poster of the ad gets a tiny payoff when the victim is fleeced by freecreditreport.com. I was not victimized by these lowlife scumsuckers, but they got me riled up when I was looking for an apartment on craigslist, and over half the ads I saw were posted by these sodomites. At that time, I did some research, and decided to do anything I can to discredit the slimeballs, and at the same time, try to keep people from being victimized. One day, these creeps will be on the wrong end of a massive class action lawsuit.

avatar B.Sherman

I, too, was ‘pimped’ out of money from them. They took money out of my account that wasn’t authorized! I ordered the 7 DAY TRIAL FOR $14.95. But instead they took out almost $26 out of my account. And that was 4 into the trial period. The representative told me I ordered something. I couldn’t have! I didn’t give them the okay to give me anything else. And when I put in my debit card number, right above that was the amount of $14.95!!! I hate that they get to get away with stuff like this. My bank (Wachovia) wouldn’t even cancel the transaction. They let them do whatever they wanted to my account!!! It’s not fair

avatar sean

Free credit report is a rip off, some Indian lady told me there is no refund. Its totally unfair and its not even in the untied states. I love how companies can trick people into payments. Its so wonderful knowing that they take your money than call you dumb. Its our right to have a credit report each year for free and they took that away from us by tricking consumers. Its really wrong and more people should fight them. I’m disputing them for fun now. I know its only 14.75 but ill spend more yelling at them to prove a point.

avatar George Jetson

You can get one free report a year from Annualcreditreport.com (ACR). You need to do more research before jumping into something blindly. On Freecreditreport’s(FCR) home page they even give you that information and if you do check into it you will see that ACR has nothing to do with FCR. You don’t get your score but you can get one report from each bureau once a year. Also, if you look at your credit card statement you will see that the company is based in California. Everybody outsources to other countries but I’ve spoken with people in the US everytime I’ve called. I could tell they were from the south due to their accent. Why waste your time and money over $15? You signed up and didn’t read the information, it’s your fault so take responsibility for your actions.

avatar kk

I know for a fact I DID NOT check the upgrade to a 3 bureau report for $24.95, and yet I was CHARGED for it. I also did not receive a receipt from FCR.com. Every other respectable internet purchasing system provides you with an email receipt with the exact amount of purchase listed. Despite the fact that I did not have a receipt, FCR.com would not refund me the money. I canceled within 24 hours of signing-up, well within the cancellation period and never was this charge communicated to me. How can someone like this George Jetson guy really think that is ethical?!

avatar buckwheat

george jetson is a butthole, liar, and thief. he does not care about ethics, he cares about getting into people’s bank accounts.

avatar jd

stick it jetson. it’s a scam. it’s actively promotes FREE FREE FREE to the point of even S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G it out….the point is to deliberately mislead consumers to visit a website under the misrepresentation of FREE…having consumer thinking FREE…and then, little teeny weeny “”requires membership” voiceover at end of commercial. MOST consumers, give a good faith benefit to wha tappears to be something reputable.

The ads shold be called “fifteendollarcreditreport.com”.

the point is, it’s deliberatley misleading, and deliberately difficult to cancel..and deliberately confusing on he registation website.

Negative consent is BS. The ads are clever and quirk…but deliberately misleading.

ID LOVE TO SEE THE MINUTES OF ANY INTERNAL MGT MEETIGN WHERE THIS AD —ANd the intent !! — was discussed. the intent it to rip people off with the word FREEEEE

i dont care wtf your employee training classes tell you to say to consumers. It’s a scam…and if you’re an employee, they’re shoving koolaid up your a*s too.

avatar linda wallace

I got scammed too! How can this be legal?
Linda Wallace

avatar buckwheat

it’s not technically illegal by letter of the law, but they are operating in a very grey zone. i guess they have had some sanctions imposed on them, but not been shut down yet. while not technically illegal, they are dishonest, and immoral. also parasites on the back of the honest working person.

avatar Kareen Reid

FreeCreditReport are Scammers! do not get caught up with them will scam you out of your hard earned money! They charge you and you wouldn’t even know it! A bunch of THIEVES!

avatar JPL

Give Ty Taylor a call at Experian. He’s the President of Experian Consumer Direct; the company that operates this scam. (949) 567-3800.

IMO this is misleading at best and if they truly weren’t interested in stealing the consumer’s money they’d give it back when you complained about the charge. Clearly, if you take advantage of that response then no, you won’t get it back.

avatar Eric Zajo

I had used this service and cancelled 2 years ago. It was marginally useful but not worth the money. Yesterday I recieved my credit card bill and what should show up but a charge from the company. I called to have the charge removed because I had not reapplied. After talking with customer service they said they would refund the payment. Not really satisfied I asked for verification that I had gone to their site and signed up. They gave me their sign up information but, lo and behold, the person that activated the account wasn’t me! I then spoke to a supervisor and she (Helen Employee #25676) told me their security was so good only one person had the information that could have opened the account. That person was me!!!
She then said who else could have this level of information? My reply was her company since
they had all the information from my previous account!!!
Just got back from the local authorities and have hired a lawyer. I understand personal responsibility but I would like to be naive enough like you Tony to believe in corporate responsibility.

avatar buckwheat

Wow, these guys have reached a new level of criminality. What scumbags they are. And then the woman there tells you that it must have been you who activated the account!! Unbelievable. But is it really necessary to hire a lawyer? Just get your credit card company to disallow the charge, or at worst case, just have the card cancelled and get a new one. Lawyers are very expensive. This whole incident just goes to prove my point that these people are criminals and scum. I would also like to point out that they have gotten so much bad press that they have reinvented themselves as: http://www.freescore.com Just another name for the same scum and scam. Same stupid tv ads, and same fine print on their website. Be careful out there!

avatar buckwheat

PS: It looks like they have Ben Stein whoring for them now, on the new freescore.com website. I guess he doesn’t have enough money already.

avatar shane

That site is actually transunion dude. All three bureaus have sites which all operate under the same principle

avatar Lew

I wish I had found this site first, I too was ripped off by freecreditreport.com, it appears I did not note the fine print that I had to cancel the service with in seven days or be charded $14.95 per month. After two months of said charges I called 1-877-481-6826 and reached a call center. After telling them I wanted to speak with the persons superviser and was reporting them to the BBB they cancelled their current months charge and their phony service. On top of that the one report I received was not correct.

avatar Brett Ware

For those of you who wish to cancel your subscription with freecreditreport.com all it takes is a phone call (The number is listed below.) Be sure you are ready to handle the sales pitch tho because they are very sly at getting you to purchase the sub again. Just say “I am not interested.”

Anyways the number is:1-888-829-6560.
and you can find it located on freecreditreport.com’s website located here: https://www.freecreditreport.com/FAQ.aspx

I hope this helps.

avatar Charles

WARNING: FreeCreditsReport is SCAM. They will charge small amount to your bank ($1) to avoid detection. If you do not response, they will charge you a bigger amount.

Credit Reports and Rating Agencies are scam, fraud, and crooks with license. They keep telling that you are entitled to 1 Free Credit Report a year but it is a bait to lure you in.

Watch out your bank’s transaction.

avatar Charles
avatar Mike

if you read the important details of the website FreeCreditReport.com you will not be billed,by reading the important information its your decision to continue to sign up or not,its your choice because it is clearly stated on the website..

avatar JT

Amen, finally someone else that reads the important information instead of seeing free and blindly blazing in.

avatar Carissa

As soon as I started getting junk in my inbox from other companiess (14 one, 10 another day, 37 one day & 10 more today). When I signed up, there was not an opt out option. After you’re set up, you can go to the Security section of the site and opt out there. However, by the time you do that, countless unwanted offers will be on their way. When you cancel, be sure to get a confirmation number and name from the person you’re talking to.

avatar Mint

Its a complete scam. I called and cancelled my account, later to find I was still being charged. I called my debit card company to dispute the charges and they called freecreditreport.com on 3-way. The lady from freecreditreport.com said I never called, then when I gave her proof that I did, she switched her story and said I called, but I didn’t ask to cancel. Full out scam.

avatar Gene

LOL all you idiots——-> just go to your local frickin bank, and for $25, they will run and get you all 3 credit reports—DAH!

avatar Gene
avatar Guest

They will scam you!
dont let anyone tell you different! annualcreditreport.com is the only free credit report website but you can only get it once a year. freecreditreport.com charge me multiple times for things i did not even sign up for even after i called to cancel they also would not refund an insufficient funds fee after they charged my account so many times it over drew. DONT LET THEM DO THIS TO YOU!

avatar avgjoe4u

Freecreditreport.com is a TOTAL rip off. My credit sucks and I’ve been looking to try and clean things up. I thought I would use this site to get a copy of the report and try to settle some of the smaller bad debts I had. Once I logged in it wanted me to pay $1 for “instant access”. Every tab I clicked said “Sample”…and I would have to pay more to actually get to the specific report. I don’t care how catchie there song is (maybe that’s the reason the dudes quit)…..the service is bogus!

avatar guest

I am extremely displeased with Experian & FreeCreditReport.com / ProtectMyID.com. I ordered my credit report and scores from Experian & paid $25.00. I did not sign up for the credit monitorig, but was charged $15.88 & $1.06 for it anyway! When I called to cancel, I was told that the 9 day trial period was over, which I had not idea about, and I could not be refunded. They did cancel the service, though. I am soooo angry with Experian for not making this monthly service more apparent on the website when you’re PAYING for your report & scores! SHAME ON THEM!

avatar Jklein

Wow, I’m 54 and decided to see what all the fuss is about credit scores. Every free site I went to wanted my credit card number to charge me a buck for my FREE credit score. No thanks, I’ll just keep paying my bills on time and stay away from the scam Jeff CharlotteNC

avatar Neeley4

freecreditreport.com is a SCAM they tell you it costs a dollar 9 days later there are charges on your credit card. My husband and I both needed a report done and we were charged different amounts but 37 dollars later and a hassle on the phone about cancelling they could not prorate the amount because they claim somewhere in some terms it states the money is nonrefundable. However good luck finding these terms.

avatar buckwheat

We must accept that freecreditreport.com , along with their various toadies and affiliates, are nothing but slimeballs. Consider yourself lucky that you only lost 37 bucks. (I would not cancel the CC, but I would be examining my bill closely every month. These characters are not above criminal antics.

avatar nknight

I did not fall for this scam. Thinking this was the way to get my “free” report, I did visit their web site. As soon as I saw the second page, I knew I was in the wrong spot. So I exited my browser and googled the REAL site I wanted.

Unfortunately, the first page had collected my real email address.

I am currently getting 50 or so spam emails every morning at about 8 am. It started out slower, and I’ve created filters for most of them, but what an unexpected pain in the ass.

This web site should be completely shut down, either by law enforcement, the internet powers-that-be, or hackers. What a scum-filled organization.

avatar buckwheat

Yes, they and their affiliates are indeed scumbags. I will never have anything to do with Experian, as they are the engine behind freecreditreport.com . I am sure that sometime in the future, they will be facing a large class action lawsuit, as many of their techniques go beyond shady.

avatar Shane

Was fooled into thinking I was receiving a free credit report. I was asked for my credit card number. I assumed they needed my credit card number for the free report. Instead I was scammed and signed up into receiving a monthly credit monitoring service for $14.95 a month. I called Discover to complain. They told me the company is legitimate that the charges were somewhere on the site hidden in the small print. Both companies Suck.

avatar buckwheat

They are scum. Have you managed to cancel the subscription? I would change to another credit card.

avatar JT

So I was just on the site and the very first thing I saw at the top of the page was:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
When you order your $1 Credit Report and Score here, you will begin your 7-day trial membership in Triple Advantage®. If you don´t cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period*, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership. You may cancel your trial membership anytime within the trial period without charge.

Kinda self explanatory if you ask me….

Yes, the company has improved its disclosures quite a bit in the last few years. It wasn’t always that way. This article was written in 2006.

avatar buckwheat

I believe that is pretty new. In the past, that information was available only if you carefully read the tiniest print on the site. I am sure that they have not added this banner voluntarily. At any rate, it is a good thing, and I congratulate the people who forced them to add this.

avatar Eric

Yeah not only does FREECREDITREPORT.COM screw you out of your money the score (s) you get from them are FAKE!!! It’s not the actual score (S) that the 3 credit agencies have. They use some bogus BS computer model to calculate what they think your score should be! I ask for my money back and they could only refund 10bucks of it. I told them I would tell everyone I know what a SCAM they are and report them to BBB.

DON’T USE FREECREDITREPORT .COM THEY ARE A CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT’S A SCAM

avatar Eric

The people running FREECREDITREPORT.COM would get the death penalty if I had anything to say about. I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody “took one for the team” and carried this out because GOD knows they deserve to DIE. I would take much pleasure in watching the slow and VERY painfull death of all assholes involved in such a shaddy scumbag operation. You know, like pulling out their finger nails one by one really slow; breaking fingers, toes, ankles; pulling out teeth; naked in the freezer for days; etc. etc.

avatar roylee

Wow, hope your coworkers at the post office don’t find this posting.

avatar buckwheat

dude, you are a mess. i hate these guys too, but there is something very disturbing about your comment.

avatar prodigious

After signing up for the trial membership I navigated to a page where I was able to view certain information on my credit reports (summary I believe). Today, 4 days later, I called to cancel my membership to avoid the $14.95 monthly fee, and was told that I had ordered a $24.95 3-bureau report. At no time during my first visit to the site was it plainly disclosed that I was authorizing a $24.95 charge. The rep I spoke to (call center in India I believe) said that the page where I authorized the charge could no longer be viewed. After several minutes of disputing my having authorized the charge I demanded to speak to a supervisor. After a pointed denial of any obvious authorization, and her inability to present me with the page/document to which I agreed, she refunded my $24.95. A scam? You decide. But without my unwavering insistence for 25 minutes on the phone, they would have taken my $24.95 for the reports that most people know can be had for free.

avatar buckwheat

Good for you. I commend you for hanging in there. Most people won’t , and that is what these scumsuckers depend on.

avatar jacked up

I ordered the report and they charged me 24.95 instantly on my card. I called to cancell as soon as they did that because I thought I had a trial period. Then after I cancelled I got another email that said this:
Your credit card used to enroll will be charged 239.40 monthly until you cancel. If you wish to cancel your membership, and stop the monthly billing, call us at 1-877-284-7942; however, you will not be eligible for a pro-rated refund of your current month’s paid membership fee.

WTF is that? Seriously? I did not get charged that yet, but I will check my account tomorrow and see what is going on. Only thing they have going for them is a decent band.. wait, they suck as well.

avatar jacked up

Thanks, I already cancelled the card, in fact, I had a new one in hand already because my old one was going out of date. Maybe they were going to charge me the entire years fee if I did not update my card or cancell. When I pro-rated it, it came out to around 20 bucks a month, but still, the email was crazy. I’de be better off not checking than paying an average car payment a month to check my credit.

avatar Purrdog

There must be hundreds of websites tricking honest people in to believing they don’t charge for their credit reports. I have literally blocked dozens of them and still keep getting emails trying to hook me with their scam. Don’t fall for ANY email that has the word FREE in it.

avatar bruce algier, sr.

there is one site that truly is free. creditkarma.com. they don’t ask for a credit card or any form of payment. it is truly free! you only get one score, but i figure thats enough to give you a general idea of your credit worthyness.

avatar buckwheat

I would not expect these weasels to voluntarily delete data which could be sold sometime in the future.

avatar susie2219

I woke up this morning and called the 1-877-297-7790 number to cancel my membership with creditreport.com that I opened yesterday. I was transferred to a representative who initially tried to make small talk with me without asking much about my information to pull up my account. I was immediately suspicious. He then tried to persuade me to keep the account after opening it yesterday and was still in my trial period. From everything that happened to people here, I knew I had to be ready for a phone conversation from hell or one that was extremely unproductive. What got him to finally cancel my membership was when I told him I had cancelled my credit card and therefore had no need for a credit report acccount with them. Before we hung up, I asked him if my personal information will be removed and he told me that I will still be able to access my account. I asked him why when my membership is cancelled. He became very quiet on the other line. I repeated the question and he told me that my information will “eventually” be erased from their site. He then assured that my membership was cancelled and I should be receiving a confirmation email within 24 hours. There was something fishy about this guy as the whole process just seemed to move too quickly and with ease, so I called the number again and this time I spoke to a real American with an American accent. The lady was very nice. She asked for my name, my mother’s maiden name, but I stopped her short by offering her my membership ID # instead to pull up my account. They never asked for my SSN. I think a good sign???

Again, the whole thing happened too quickly. She tried the sales pitch, but I shot her down by saying that I was scammed yesterday on craigslist, spoke to my bank, got my credit card cancelled, and that I was just trying to spend the day cancelling memberships that have access to my credit card information. The truth is, I did cancel my credit card yesterday and reported fraud — I panicked because I was scammed from a craigslist ad to open a creditreport.com account! The lady told me it looked like my membership is already cancelled. I told her I called again to make sure because the other rep did not seem to understand me fully. When you say your credit card is cancelled, they know they can’t make any money off you and, so, they will cancel your membership without any hassle. She seemed very nice even after the cancellation unlike the rep. I asked her whether my info like my SSN and such will be removed from the company’s data and she reassured me that the coding is very “cryptic” and the website is well-protected. yeah, but am I protected from creditreport.com!?!?! Instead, I told her I was worried b/c of being scammed by craigslist. I think she understood that as I got scammed to reveal my SSN to a craigslist ad. She gave me a number, 1-888-397-3742, to contact Experian for fraud control. Does anyone know if this is part of some deal between Experian and creditreport.com? The lady seemed too helpful and nice for her own good.

This was the email cancellation confirmation:

We’re sorry to see you go! But we would like to thank you for choosing Experian® as your credit monitoring provider.

This e-mail confirms that we have received your request to cancel CreditReport. We are currently processing your request, and this change will take effect on 2/4/2011.

No further monthly membership fees will be applied to your credit card.

Rest assured, you will still have unlimited access to the many features and benefits of CreditReport until 2/4/2011, when your membership expires. At that time, you will receive a final cancellation confirmation e-mail.

We hope you enjoyed your CreditReport benefits. Should you reconsider, and decide to keep CreditReport, simply call us toll-free at 1-877-297-7790. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please e-mail us at CustomerCare@Creditreport.com or visit us online at CreditReport.com.

As America’s #1 leader in providing online credit information, we strive to offer our customers the highest quality of credit monitoring products. We look forward to serving any of your personal credit monitoring, report or score needs in the future.
Sincerely,

Customer Care

Ref. Number: ##########

I really hope that my membership is cancelled and that they are not lying to me. I’ve been reading a lot of people’s stories who have been scammed by creditreport.com, so we will see if my membership including all my information will be removed from their data. Email spamming should give them away. Final email confirmation? I hope it’s not “if you don’t reply back to the final email confirmation, we will take it as an implied consent to not cancel your membership.”

avatar buckwheat

I believe freecreditreport is owned by Experian. That’s why they have your info. When I learned this, I vowed to never have any doings with Experian.

avatar roylee

“I was ready for the phone call from hell…” “She was way too nice and helpful for her own good” “I’m suspicious…”

Sounds like you were so ready for a fight that you still refused to be pleased that you got decent service, at least from the second agent.

avatar David Cox

I for one can tell you that the only thing you get from freecreditreport.com is a load of junk / spam email. It’s a waste of time trying to unsubscribe from any of this junk email. I’ve unsubscribed multiple times from the same sites only to continue to receive the same junk. My advice is to tell everyone I know and don’t know NEVER use their site unless you enjoy getting your JUNK folder filled two or three times a day !!!! STAY AWAY FROM FRECREDITREPORT.COM TRUST ME !!!!!

avatar buckwheat

I have found that it’s a mistake to unsubscribe from junk email. Why, you may ask? Because the people who send out the spam are: 1. not honorable 2. Looking for evidence that the email addresses they are sending to are valid. When you try to unsubscribe, you are showing them that they have reached a valid address. They then take your address, add it to a list of other valid addresses, and share it with their cohorts, or sell it to other spammers/scammers. It’s best to just use a good spam filter, and let it deal with the nonsense. Mailwasher is pretty good, they have a free version, and it works pretty well for me.

avatar Cody Frett

Is there currently any form of legal action or persons to contact to get on board against Freecreditreport.com?

avatar Christine E Schroeder

I am furious , can not get this removed from my monthly bill every time i call they give me a huge run around! Please help

avatar bruce algier, sr.

i wrote to the better business bureau and filed a complaint against consumerinfo.com. this apparently is the parent company. i did recieve a full refund on my credit card. i don’t know if they will try to charge me again, but i will write the BBB if it happens again.

avatar Former ECD employee

Here’s the deal, I am a FORMER employee of Experian Consumer Direct, the company that runs the websites. ECD is just another branch of Experian. All three of the major credit bureaus have a division that runs websites for credit monitoring and reports. All three use this “negative option marketing” model to run their sites. While it is a less than honest way of doing business, it is not a scam. The problems I keeping seeing with accounts not being deactivated or continued billing after a cancellation had been requested comes down to greed. It’s not the greed of the company, it’s the greed of the employees. The employees are given expectations and are pressured to keep up with these, for lack of a better term, “quotas”. Most representatives you speak with are just following the rules and trying to make a living. But, there are quite a few out there who are more focused on their bonuses and making their “numbers”, that they do not do what the customer asks of them. Many times I had an individual call and explain that they had just told the last rep that they wanted to cancel their trial but got disconnected. When I researched into the account, I could see where that rep had opened the account and done the security verification but not cancelled the account since they didn’t get to try to retain them as a customer. We were informed that if someone asks to cancel and you are disconnected, you cancel the account and notate it. But like I said before, greed drives people to do things, even if it does not line up with the company’s standards.
Now, I will give everyone a piece of advice for when you call. Don’t be a jerk to the rep right of the bat. If you come off as that, you are less likely to get the help in a timely manner. If you are cordial and non-chalant about the situation, but also firm at the same time, most reps are more than happy to help you out. Another thing, let them try to sell you on it. They have certain things they have to say during the call or they get griped at by their supervisors. It just makes them more open to your requests. So make sure you don’t call when you are in a rush because it just makes things harder on everyone. Especially of you let them know that you are in a hurry. They will take their time with you then.
As for refunds, depending on the company’s policy at the time, there are varying amounts that can be refunded by the reps and supervisors. There are times that a rep can authorize a one month refund and times where they can’t give any. Supervisors can give authorization for up to 6 months. Anything more has to go through the Consumer Relations Group which will take it case by case and inform you of the decision.

All that being said, I do not agree with the way they market their sites. But at the same time there is not a company wide scam going on. Just individuals that try to circumnavigate the rules to put a few extra dollars in their pockets. Especially the ones that are overseas. If you get someone who you think is from outside the US, they probably are. Just hang up and try again, usually by the third time you will reach one of the US call centers.

avatar Not born yesterday

If the company does nothing to police their own employees concerning these so called quotas then they are just as liable if not more so. The flack from all these unhappy persons will in time be a public relations nightmare they will not wake up from. I have gone all the legitimate routes to resolve this and they have yet to show me any proof that I signed up in the first place. I have never been to their website and still I became a victim. And yes I have spoken to higher ups in the company who have done nothing but run circles. So their company policies mean nothing when those higher up on the totem pole get a piece of the action.
You spoke of yourself as a “former” ECD employee. If they are such a great company and are innocent of what they are accused of, Why did you leave? Is it because you saw what was going on and have an ethical conscience? Something to ponder.

avatar Former ECD employee

Actually, the reason I am a former employee has nothing to do with the company’s policies genius. The fact that my wife had just miscarried our second child and the personal problems that arose from that led to me leaving.

As for the company policing itself, anytime a rep came across a situation such as I spoke of, we reported it immediately to our supervisor. The fact that someone signed you up means that one of a few things happened:
1. You’re confused about never visiting the site, which happens alot. I spoke with quite a few people didn’t remember signing up at first but then it dawned on them that they had.
2. A family member with your info signed up and forgot. I actually had a gentleman that let his 13 yr old daughter sign him up and then got upset because the company allowed it to happen. And of course I informed him that we have no control over his daughter and that we did not give her the credit card number to sign him up.
3. Your identity has been stolen and you are a victim of what this company is trying to help prevent.

ECD does not buy credit card information from the banks and sign people up. Someone outside the company has to enroll into this program. Take it or leave it, but that’s the truth of the matter. But in today’s society everyone is so quick to blame others for their mistakes. It’s time for people to own up to what they’ve done and take responsibility for their actions.

It’s funny that you talk about all the complaints on here about the company. Did you ever stop to ponder why there aren’t many people praising them? Could it be that the millions of satisfied customers don’t look for these sites and comment because they are happy with the service? This is a biased site with only one view being shown. I spoke with many customers who had to cancel their service, not because they wanted to, but because of financial reasons. And almost every single one of those customers said that they would be coming back as soon as they could afford it again because they loved the service and liked that they had the protection it provides. So there’s something for you to think about.

avatar Not born yesterday

Not that I need to explain anything to genius wannabe’s like yourself. I have been an accountant and tax preparer for the last 35 years. I keep very close tabs on every dollar I spend. I also am aware of the federal governments provisions for one FREE credit report per year. Since I am the only one who uses my computer I would remember if I accessed ECD’s web page. And since I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday your arguments have no validity. I have researched this company at great length and there are a number of attorney generals from a number of states who are opening investigations into their practices. Florida, Minnesota, New York and California to name just a few. Two of these have corresponded back to my letters and they are becoming more and more aware of the experiences posted on this site. They are actively looking into it. So you can sing their praises all you want. I’m sure there were people like you who did the same for companies like Enron and that crook Bernard Madoff. Sooner or later they are caught and people like you will be eating crow.

avatar shane

I hope you realize that the reason the state govs look into it so much is bc as soon as you see that they are listening, you’re way more likely to vote their way. The site is already regulated. They also probably think that you won’t realize that bc of the type of ppl you are. Ones who don’t think into things.

avatar sita

What a rip off. Free credit report my behind. They make it so confusing that before you know it you signed up for monthly fees, 20 dollars on top of that!!! NON REFUNDABLE. Banks are offering this service now too. Look into it and beware.

avatar lins

These con artists tried to rip me off to. I signed up and payed the $1 fee for the instant report. The next morning I get a call from Chase’s fraud center saying they tried to take $29.95 (which I later found out was for the three burough report which I did not authorize) Thankfully my bank declined the charge and I had my money refunded. I cancelled my account and have the email saved just incase I get billed again. My condolences go out to everybody else who has had problems with this company. Hopefully a nice molotov cocktail finds its way into the window of their corporate head quarters.

avatar bruce algier, sr.

the same thing happened to me. i agreed to the $1 charge to see the 1 score, but i did not see the three reports and scores. they charged me four times @$19.95. If they do that to you, i found the best course of action is to file a report with the irvine, ca. better business bureau against consumerinfo.com (the parent company) and you should get back any money they take. Good luck!

avatar Fred Lofton

Mr. DennIs, your own statement that one of your company’s secretaries failed to cancel negates your claim that you shouldn’t have been charged. Don’t come here claiming a scam when you just have idiots working with you.

avatar Jack Wortman

My daughter is a college student, that checked her credit report through FreeCreditReport.com. Being a bright college person, you would think she would know better, but FreeCredit.com has billed her credit card $14.95 every month since then. I called them, since her credit is listed under my name and was told about a small disclosure on they Terms & Conditions that allows to repeat bill a customer. I spoke to some Indian from India, who has a terrible grasp of the english language and appears to be reading from a manual, since he would refer to things I hadn’t even asked him about. They refused to reimburse the credit card for the past bills, but after a heated debate, they did cancel the account. I was happy to learn that the DA in Florida is investigating them.

avatar Employee

I’m a current employee there. And I’ll tell you up front, a lot of us agree with the consumers. Unfortunately, we have families to feed. I’m currently looking for another job but times are tough. Even tougher now that experian is making it so that we are required to “save” 20% of the people who call to cancel. If we don’t? Well, we have 8 weeks to improve else we will be terminated. I understand that this website and the membership is frustrating. I understand that you don’t want to hear the sales spiel that we give you. But please don’t take out your anger on the employees. They are people just like you. Trying to make a living and survive day to day.

avatar Employee 2

I am an employee too but I dont agree with what you said, there are customers who will understand the importance of watching their credit closely and choose to keep their account open. Making a living does give you a permission to fool people. Just a piece of advice, try loving what you do and have a fully understanding of how we want to protect and improve our credit standing, and for sure, your customers will understand as well the importance of keeping their account.

As for the others, THE LAW EXCUSES NO ONE!!! When you file a complaint with BBB, did you also mentioned that you failed to read the disclaimers and the terms and conditions, mind you, they are there for a reason. Simply answering that you were not aware that you would be charge is unacceptable. You have given your credit card infromation on the website and yet you just you heart out “click”thru the website”without even

avatar buck wheat

Employee2, I quote you here: “Making a living does give you a permission to fool people.” Wow, incredible. So, you are admitting that it’s ok to lie in order to get people’s money, and it’s ok to victimize them because you need to make a living? Wonderful. Nice of you to admit that you are a weasel and a liar, but it’s ok because it’s your job. Interesting philosophy you have. Riddle me this: Have you ever considered doing honest work?

avatar shane

The employees don’t make money by how many of you guys sign up with us. They make it by letting you know how the membership will help you and you decideing if it would. They are actually hurt by the free trial bc so many ppl then cancel and are also hurt by you ppl getting yourself charged cuz you end up just being angry, rude, and refuse to even consider anything they have to offer. I have also openly told ppl who called in fcr was a membership not just a one time credit report and if they wanted just that, annualcreditreport.com was were to go. So buck wheat, instead of calling the employees scumbags and crooks, why don’t you just let ppl know what the site is and the cost. You don’t look like a jerkoff that way and ppl would believe you more.

avatar gee

I consider myself pretty savvy as far as the computer is concerned. I requested the three credit reports and later I noticed their was a $14.95 charge on my bank account. Unbeknownst to me they claimed I signed up for some Triple Advantage program and I had NO idea. This really is a scam. There is no information that I saw that told me this was happening. They did not refund my money either. They can get rich if they do it to enough people. I guess this is the way Experian is off setting people getting free credit reports. Never again.

avatar travis

I hate this co. with a passion and every time I hear their commercial I almost vomit in disgust. Not free in fact the enroll you in a monthly charge and also charged 29.95 for a free report that was supposed to cost $1.00.

avatar Joe

This very thing happened to me. They goad you into thinking you get a free report but in fact you end up paying 30.95 to see what others give you free.
No wonder it’s run by Experian, the credit reporting slime ball company.

avatar Sergio Juarez

I had the same exact experience, they said they would refund my money, yet I haven’t received a refund and am disputing through my bank.

They are purposely charging people more and I hope someone files a class action against these scam artists.

avatar Diana Gonzales

Travis,

I wish I would have read this before I ordered my credit report and my husbands report before I did . They charged me 1.00 plus 31.95 each but I wasn’t going to be taken advantage like that. I’m got my 63.90 back!!

avatar J George

Scam – Free Credit Report.
I just cancelled my membership after having paid $29.95 and $12.95 within the span of 11 days. The company web site is false and misleading. It is making bundles by scamming persons with the ten day “free” trial membership. Never, never use this company.

avatar rachael

Same thing happened to me. I never got a free credit report, paid $1 for an instant report that well, wasnt instant and i never received access to. They started taking money from my account while i’m unemployed and refuse to refund me. I didnt sign up for this crap and this company needs to go down and people need to get their money reimbursed.

avatar andruha

Now another one has come – easyfreecreditreport.com
They are stealing your money and identity. Will somebody ever kill those bastards?

avatar Kymberli

THIS COMPANY IS TERRIBLE!!!
FREE REPORT, HAH! I DO NOT KNOW HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS! I eventually had to cancel my card since they would not cancel and I kept getting billed

avatar Danny M. Board

THE BASTARDS JUST GOT ME TOO.

avatar Ben Smith

I signed up for the free credit report and thought it was the $1. My wife also did the same and now we have over $60 in charges and they say we agreed to it while on their site and will not refund anything. Is there no way to do anything about this since they are doing it to so many people. It is a scam not only is it not free and not even the $1 they say but $30.

avatar bruce algier, sr.

i got the best results from filing a complaint with the better business bureau. i got a refund for 3 months worth of charges, which is all that i wanted. after reading some of the other peoples comments i figured out which office to file with. it is somewhere in california.

avatar bruce algier, sr.

you should also cancel your credit card.

avatar buckwheat

Good job. I commend you. The more people who repeat your action, the faster these bungholes will be shut down. There have been multiple employees of them posting on this site, attempting to defend them, while at the same time admitting that it’s OK to mislead and deceive people since it’s in an effort to make a living.

avatar Fred Lofton

Buttwheat, there is no deception going on. It’s the fact that the majority of the public see or hear the word free and jump all over it without a second glance. It’s just like Pavlov’s dog salivating when it hears that bell ring, the masses jump when they hear “free” because they are not bright enough to understand the old adage “there’s no such thing as a free lunch”. You’ve just got your panties in a wad, just like the rest of these “bungholes” (to use a term from your own book) because you didn’t read the Important Information.

avatar buckwheat

fred lofton, you seem to have the same verbal style as george jetson. I did not see your asinine posting before this, or I would have responded. here are some points for you to consider:

1. I have not been victimized by freecreditreport.com, because i never signed up for their service. Thus, my panties are not in a wad, as you suggest. I comment on this forum because I detest dishonesty, and I hate to see naive people being victimized.
2. There is plenty of deception going on by the site, it has been admitted in this forum be their employees.
3. I believe you are affiliated with these scum in some way, else why would you be on here defending their practices? If it is just a normal business with ethical practices, why do you need to be on here belittling the people who have been victimized by them? Riddle me that.
4. Yes, some people do not read the fine print, I admit that some people are naive enough to believe that a website which advertises free credit reports on tv, etc, will actually give them a free credit report. Fancy that!!
5. Why don’t you be a good boy, and report on here what is your actual affiliation with these bungholes?

Good day sir.

avatar Tomina

I pretty much consider something a scam when they intentionally set up their webpage for upgrades that don’t actually read as an upgrade. I directly asked the representative how it is that I did not hit anything on the webpage that indicated and upgrade NOR approved a “31.82″ charge…she was describing the PICTURE on the exact page where I made my “upgrade”…..not telling me what it was I actually clicked on to put myself in this mess. Look up the definition of fraud, b/c you apparently don’t know it….deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit. Might be worded differently elsewhere…but it all means the same thing.. Scamming companies are making a living these days…..and it’s b/c nobody is stepping up. You’re only posting this response b/c you haven’t had this experience yet. You’ll get yours….you should just hope its not a scammer taking advantage of you or family as they age. FYI….this company is outsourced….and handling US citizens personal info and credit info.

avatar net_raj

This is really deceptive practise. I thought I was getting a “free credit report” for a $1 :-) I should have caught it right then. Anyways signed up and started noticed two charges of 14.95 on top of $1 I had payed by giving my credit card.

Get this… called my Wells Fargo Credit Card customer service with whom I have banked for almost 20 years and got push back because I wanted to dispute the charges. She actually went to the website and tried to convince me freecreditreport had the proper fine print. I was wondering whose side is Wells Fargo.

I am going to call back and demand a refund. Keep away from freecreditreport.com

net_raj

avatar Fred Lofton

Demand a refund for what? Your own lack of judgement? You saw free/$1 and started chomping at the bit without paying attention. Face it, you got what you agreed to when you signed up. Suck it up buttercup and get over yourself.

avatar net_raj

Seems like you work for those thugs. Can you help me get the refund? I will give a commission.

avatar Chris Osborn

Fred,
People like you are the problem. Do you really think that people who go to a site called “Free Credit Report” are agreeing to buy a $15/month credit monitoring service?
FreeCreditReport.com is a scam. More than 5000 complaints have been filed with BBB in the last 3 years. The fact is they do not adequately disclose negative option enrollment, they have deceptive advertising, a misleading domain name, and fail to honor cancellations.

avatar Frediot

You Fred (fake name, supporting scammers) Lofton are an idiot.

People are not salivating over getting sometihng for nothing. Most consumers know you get a free report, they get duped into going to sites like freecreditreport.com because they think it’s the proper way to actually obtain a FREE report that they are entitled to yearly.

They are not signing up for some monthly service and are abmushed by scammers. Most could walk into their local bank or credit union and don’t realize it. Most would gladly pay a reasonable fee to have something pulled, formatted nicely and delivered to them. But nobody wants to be wacked for what these idiots do.

avatar Bob

Freecreditreport.com is a scam… I dont mind paying for a service if it is true…. actual credit scores pulled by a bank is considerably lower than what Freecreditreport gives you.. I canceled my membership…..

avatar Fred Lofton

Hey Bob, the whole credit score industry is a scam then. If you go to 15 different lenders, chances are you are going to get 15 different scores… Actually 45 different scores if they pull all three bureaus. No two creditors use the same scoring method. So if that’s your only problem you should have educated yourself before posting.

avatar bob

Fred…. I can see a few points difference but 30 to 40 points is ridiculous…

avatar Fred Lofton

If you understood the system that these companies use to set your credit score you would understand the major points differences. One creditor may use a scale that runs from 250-700, the next may use a scale that runs from 350-850, another 300-700… That’s why there are 60-70 point differences.

avatar Debbie Avila

Yup, you work for them you POS. Else you wouldn’t be so “informed.” SCUM OF THE EARTH

avatar Annoyed

Report them to the Better Business Bureau. They’ll respond real fast and give you at least most of your money back. They’ll also send you a confirmation email for a cancellation.

avatar Zieg Demetos

It is a sad day for humanity when so many people get so mad over a mistake that they themselves have caused. If you people would have taken time to read the terms and the conditions on the website you would have seen that it does state exactly what you are signing up for (a free trial that if you dont cxl it you get billed.) it doesn’t steal your money or your card info, you put the card number and the exp date in yourself. I used the website and it has two options a free credit report that you get in two days and a option that you pay a dollar to have a 7 day trial that if not cancelled within the 7 day trial you get billed for a continuing membership. Its clear and cut.

avatar Fred Lofton

You sir are spot on with your assessment of these people complaining. Society has forgotten the concept of personal responsibility and people like Buckwheat only add to the problem. He/she/it coddles those who fail to take responsibility for their actions. IMHO, he’s more of a danger to these people than they are to themselves due to him being an enabler.

avatar Chrisfragger

I see the employees of this RIP off company are sticking together like Felons.

avatar dc

ripoff got me for 32.00 and 16.95 misleading advertising Im going to report them to stte atty general

avatar Julie

GET YOUR REFUND THIS WAY. I was charged 14.95 per month for 7 months and did not notice it until last month. Yes, I will always check my charges from now on. I ususally just send the check to pay the bill.
Too busy working to pay bills, that is how the Big corporations like it. That is why we are too busy to read the fine print. I dont recall ever seeing this fine print.

Anyways, they wanted to only give me a refund of 3 months. I told them that I was going to:
Better Business bureau
Federal Communications Commission and
The attorney General (FL) (they are currently under investigation.

Well guess what, they came back on the line and gave me the full refund. I am still going to send a letter to all 3 above. They think they saved themselfs a hassle, nope. I will try to help and warn others.

avatar Fred Lofton

So if you signed up for car insurance and didn’t read the terms and conditions of the policy, then after 7 months decided you shouldn’t have been paying for those months because you didn’t pay attention to what your coverage was, would you demand a refund and write letters to those three entities? Basically you didn’t pay attention and decided you were “scammed”. You are refusing to take responsibilty for your own mistake. Grow up.

avatar In awe of your YOUR voluntary ignorance

HEY IDIOT,
When you buy car insurance they usually tell you upfront what your premiums will be and exactly what you will be paying. Plus you are talking to a person and can have your questions answered, not relying on an automated system that you are told you can trust. You’re buying into your own BS because it’s sadly obvious that you’re probably too lazy, stupid, or ignorant to pursue/defend anything other than quick money scams as your line of work. Your arguments are shallow and devoid of substance. If you use the word “FREE” or “$1.00″ to push a service, and the result is the exact opposite then by virtue of common sense, said service IS NOT “FREE” OR “$1.00″. The hilarious irony here is you preaching to other people to take responsibility. I truly feel sorry for anyone who makes the mistake of calling you friend.

avatar Cybele

ACTUALLY every where I read when I signed up said I had 30 days before charges were done it has been SEVEN days and I was charged and now they say I only had seven days. I am not blind I purposefully read everything while getting my one report from them for $1.00 which I was happy to pay..but charging me the extra fee after only 7 days which was NOT stated anywhere unless it was in very tiny print is in fact a scam.

avatar Fred Lofton

Well, you may not be blind but you must be illiterate. It clearly states in the important information, not once but twice, that you have a 7 day trial. Plus, if you read at the bottom it states that you have 9 days to cancel. I do not see anyplace on freedcreditreport.com where it states that you have 30 days to cancel. Nice try but ultimately a failure on your part.

avatar bruce algier, sr.

you are right Cybele it is a scam. i got my money back by contacting the better business bureau and filing a complaint. Unfortunately the world is full of assholes like fred lofton. Hitler had a whole bunch of them following him. They belive they are superior to everyone else and no matter what you say they will still be ego-maniacs, so just ignore him.

avatar Julie

Well said Cody!! thanks!

Fred, no response as your not worth the time.

Thanks again Cody! :)

avatar George Rogers

On Monday June 20 2011 I went on line to check my Bank statements, I notice that creditedReort withdrew 14.95 on June 15. And on May 16 the same 14.95 out of my checking account.
1 I never signed up for these services.
2 I filed a dispute on these fraudulent charges.
3 Canceled my credit card, will get another by next week.

So if I did not asked for the report then who? And how did they get my credit card Number?
And when one goes to creditreport web site and click on contact us. you get there email Addy but when you send out the email, It comes back as email not found.
So no more free money for credidt report stinking company.

avatar AnitaG

I just had a run another run in with FreeCreditReports.com. I should have known better since I dealt with these scam artists once before. On June 22nd, I checked my credit score to complete a housing application process. When I checked my bank account last night, I found a $29.95 dollar charge from Experian/FreeCreditReport.com. I had already planned to call them today to cancel the service before the end of the “free” trial period. The woman I spoke with said that they fees were clearly displayed on the screen 2 times before finalizing getting the report. I made it very clear to her that if I had seen that I was being charged $29.95 I would not have completed the transaction. She said she could only give me a refund of $15.00 because they were having a “sale” today. A sale on something that is supposed to be “free”. What a joke.

I called my bank and they faxed me the forms to dispute the charge. I am also going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Beyond this, does anyone else have any suggestions.

avatar bruce algier, sr.

filing a complaint with the BBB is the best way. I got all my money back after filing a complaint with the BBB

avatar Robert

Freecreditscore charged my card 14.95 and I have never called, contacted, emailed or even been to their website. I have had this card for over 22 years, never have had a problem like this until now. This occured in the same billing period that I signed up for PAYPAL ,,, very suspicious. I no longer have the card or a PAYPAL account.

avatar john

Bad Bus stay awawy from creditreport.com!!

avatar Sammy D

I agree… with Fred. People are thinking it’s a scam, but are disregarding the fine print. They see free and immediately sign up. It’s not a scam if they are stating everything in the terms and conditions.

avatar brian

this is pretty funny.. this site bashes one place, and recommends 2 others.. one of which does the same thing! you sign up for something, and if you don’t cancel you pay for a subscription to something… it is free if you cancel right after your initial credit report.. that’s any place you go to..

avatar bruce algier, sr.

i found one that is truly free. it is credit karma. they do not ask for a credit card or any type of payment. you get 1 score but that is enough to know where you stand. give it a try.

avatar Aman Patel

This website is a scam. Mint.com mislead me to give 7 days free trial but I got charged $24.99. Never ever subscribe to service like this even they give free for 7 days of a month. This is a money making business by showing something else and take more money by cheating. Most 99% will not get notice and read * small instructions hidden somewhere.

I request ppl not to signup with freecreditscore website. It is misleading.

Aman Patel

avatar Jamie

FYI I have been paying for Free Credit Report.com for months now, trying to buy a house, come to find out they reported my score being 90 points higher than what it really is. My financial advisor told me that this has happened to many people he has worked with. When I emailed FCR.com I got some generic reply not answering any of my questions, or even apologizing for charging me for an incorrect service.

avatar craig brown

Free credit report should be investigated by the federal government. They are a terrible scam and they are hard to cancel. You think you cancelled but you actually did not according to them

avatar bruce algier, sr.

i have tried to get my senator to investigate them twice and both times he would not even answer my e-mail. i believe that since it is run by experian, which is one of the three credit bureaus, the politicians recieve campaign contributions from them, so they protect them. i got my money back by filing a complaint with the better business bureau.

avatar Evelyn Valenza

I signed up with experian.com because I actually considered paying the monthly $15.00 which I read that I would be charged unless I cancel within 9 days of the say I signed up. It also clearly stated that I’d be charged $1 to view my report. Nowhere did I read that I’d be charged 29.95 extra!!! I signed up today and just checked my bank statement and there is that mysterious $30!! Now that I read your complaints and resolutions you better bet they’re gonna hear from me tomorrow morning!!! And rest assured they are NOT going to have my business like I originally planned.

avatar MC

I just signed up for their $1 service and it clearly stated the 7-day grace period and the automatic enrollment in their monthly service if not cancelled. Pretty legit, and pretty similar to free magazine subs.

avatar Mark

Wow some of you people are so ignorant……you just can’t wait to blame somebody else for your stupidity!!! What they are doing is perfectly legal and in no way is immoral. LOL I love how you all act like the fine print is some mysterious thing that is not visible to the normal person. In all honesty the fine print is not that fine at all and can be seen plain as day on multiple pages. Oh and did I mention that it follows the word IMPORTANT in bold letters!! As far as Florida doing an investigation…..They would investigate a pile of pig shit if enough people complained…..they wanna be sure to get reelected!! So suck it up and take responsibility for you mistakes!!

avatar Mark

Oh and before I get accused of it…….I am in no way affiliated with any company mentioned in these post or any company at all for that matter. I’m just a hard working normal guy who goes to school full time and works 60+ hours a week!!! So don’t start accusing me of working for the so called “scammers” cause I do not!!!

avatar Mark

It’s a scam! Being the cynic I am I read between the lines. I do my homework, investigate company profiles and their m/o’s. I can without a shadow of doubt label Free Credit Report a scam! Their mentally challenged TV ads should be reason enough not to do business with a company like theirs.

avatar Shawn

I have 420 in my name and I can still safely say that most of the people complaining about this being a “scam” or “ripoff” are absolute IDIOTS. I can settle this whole issue with a SIMPLE ANALOGY: When you go into ice cream store or a supermarket and they offer free samples, you can take them without HAVING TO PAY ANYTHING. Therefore, they ARE IN FACT FREE. The representative will then offer the ice-cream or product itself FOR A PRICE.

IDIOTS PAY ATTENTION PLEASE HERE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART>>>
ITS IMPOSSIBLE for them to be charge you for the membership over the internet unless YOU GAVE BILLING INFORMATION. You probably TOOK THE FREE SAMPLE AND GAVE BILLING INFORMATION FOR THE MEMBERSHIP. Next time don’t be an idiot when you give out your billing information and then you won’t have to write articles about scams to justify a decision that was not thought out.

avatar Rockage

Shawn, I am an educated professional who makes six figures with degrees in media. Fact, intelligent people are being charged $29.95 after signing up for a one dollar trial period. Obviously you have to provide billing information to be charged. There is a detailed security and confirmation process for them to charge the $1 with the understanding that if not canceled within 7 days, you will be charged $16.95. However, after this process is complete, if you mistakenly click on “see my reports now” instead of “view my member benefits”, you are automatically charged $29.95, without any confirmation whatsoever. The key is in the word “reports” meaning three instead of one – something easily overlooked by a non-idiott. The only idiocy is in your ignorance.

avatar rvindave

I got taken as well. Was willing to pay for the credit scores as a one time deal, but little did I know they were enrolling me in a monthly billing. And I received no email saying the monthly bill had posted on my credit card. I only noticed that when looking at my credit card bill .

avatar John

This company truly is the worst.

It cost me $45.90 for a “FREE” Credit Report.

$29.95 for I don’t even know what … they are taking advantage of the fact that they have your credit card number … It’s awful

avatar Mr. Goldman

I spoke to this group about being billed for something I don’t recall buying and even have a cancellation notice on another email account. If you don’t think it’s a scam, consider the following:

1 – They told me that they do not send monthly email invoices for billing (as every company does) since they have millions of customers and they cannot send out an email. I reminded them that numbers other companies do send out emails – same drivel. They obviously don’t send you a monthly invoice or notice you are being charged so you won’t suspect you’re being charged.

2 – I discovered that I had two accounts – I created one because the other email had become inaccessible and I couldn’t locate the user name. They knowingly allow you to sign up for the same name, social security number, date of birth and with two different email addresses. They don’t say “the same person is on file.” This is done so that you can buy or be billed for the same service on two accounts. It’s amazing how they can identify the same person when it’s convenient for them or would result in a problem for them.

They know what they are doing. They are using their status as a credit reporting company and making sure you have to be completely on top of every bit of fine print to not realize that there is virtually nothing “free” about signing up. They aren’t alone.

avatar Dana

Wow. You forget your email password and that’s freecreditreport.com’s fault? So you couldn’t pick up the phone and call customer service and have them change the email addy for you? Nope. Instead, let’s sign up for ANOTHER membership, not read the BIG letters that say “IMPORTANT” and then place blame cause that’s easier. LOL. Sounds like your problem, not theirs. You’re the one who entered your CC info!

avatar shane

Hey guys. I actually have worked in the past before for them and was a rep that’d you talk to cancel. Yeah, I was affiliated with the. No, its not a scam. For one, to start, this site is a credit monitoring site. It’s designed to help ppl with id theft and the like. That’s what the monthly charge is for. It also clearly tells you that in important information to the left of the page or top of the page. Anyway, if you aren’t interested in that, please stay alway. The site is for that and they just offer the report as a complimentary item. The 29.95 charge is for a 3 bureau report and it states you will be charged for that as well. So if you aren’t interested straight up go to annualcreditreport.com for you reports. You just end up annoying the reps by complaing and being rude.

avatar Dana

Fred, you do sound like you work for them…but in all honesty, if you do not….PROPS for reading the site. I have a membership at FreeCreditScore.com which is another monitoring service offered by Experian and I absolutely love it. I was in no way mis-lead…but of course, I’m not an idiot. I READ things when they ask for my CC info. It kind of makes you question people’s intelligence when they think something as complex as the sites’ services should be free…..who will build the site? who does the monitoring? who makes the interfaces? who issues emails for alerts? who takes your calls when you forget your username and passwords? Come on. NONE of those things are free….this company has employees to pay to even offer the services they provide. What they charge is minimal fee compared to what it SHOULD cost. Power to the smart people in these comments. Good job reading the extra large fine print in orange bold letters on the main page! ;)

avatar Rockage

I am an educated professional bringing in 6 figures and in no way an “idiot” as you so eloquently state. Your positive experience is based on the fact that you willingly signed up for the service. People who only want to see their credit scores are encouraged to sign up for the one dollar trial. Through trickery and bait/switch tactics, these people are being charged additional fees without their knowledge. The only idiocy is in the ignorance of people who believe that if it doesn’t happen to them, it doesn’t happen.

avatar Brian

Freecreditreport.com, what a scam. Intially cost me $29.95, plus the $1 and now I have been hit with a $16.95 charge because I didn’t cancel within 7 days. So what is supposed to be “virtullay” free has cost me $48.

avatar Laron Williams

I signed up for a free trial, I never gotten anything free, but worst they charged my card twice 2 days apart! A SCAM IF I NEVER SEEN ONE!!!

avatar I would never have touched freecreditreport.com if

I would never have touched freecreditreport.com if its link hadn’t come to me by a prospective employer who did not give me a choice about which credit reporting company I had to buy a report from. So, it was a genuine scam. The “Let the buyer beware” maxim does not apply to illegitimate offers linked to phony employment listings which don’t actually exist.

avatar Scam Baby

A recruiter made me choose freecreditreport.com and buy my own report and supply a subsequent customer number to be considered for a job.

avatar Rockage

I agree with the others that I hate freecreditreport.com with a passion. They are scam artists who literally got away with taking $60 from our checking account without our knowledge or consent. My husband and I wanted to see our credit scores so we each signed up for the one dollar free trial. The next day, we canceled (after much push-back from their CS reps). Upon looking at my bank statement, I noticed they charged each of us an additional $29.95. I called furious. I was told that when we were given the option to either “see my credit reports” or “go to my member benefits”, we chose to view reports. Apparently, this enabled them to charge us $30 each because they included all three reports, not just Experian. Neither my husband or I saw anything saying we would be charged this fee. We agreed to $1.00 to see our credit score only. I find it disgusting that you have to go through this whole security process to sign up for the free trial… But apparently one click after that allows them to charge you $29.95 without any confirmation. It’s financial molestation and they should not be allowed to get away with it. They are basically scamming the American public to pay for their outlandish commercials. Shame on freecreditreport.com!

avatar FreeCreditReportNOT

The same thing that happened to Rockage, just happened to me yesterday. I agreed to pay the $1 fee to see my reports now, not knowing that I had unwittingly agreed to an additional fee of $29.95 to see all three credit bureaus reports now. Without signing up again, I cannot see the page where this charge is supposedly disclosed (according the the CSR at FCR.com I spoke to a little while ag). I called to cancel my “free” trial membership and they tried to sell me a 1/2 price membership; they also told me I agreed to the $29.95, and I did NOT anywhere see where that was going to be charged before I clicked to view my reports now. I am not an uneducated person and I do read things before I sign/agree to them, so to have missed this disclosure is not like me, so I have to believe it isn’t readily apparent. I feel scammed, but lesson learned and I will not use their services again.

avatar Toya

IT IS A SCAMMMMM. Through mint.com I signed up for a free trial period- which I cancelled same day. I viewed my reports, mind you, NOWHERE did it say I was going to be charged 29.95 for viewing the reports. Now, I know some of the other comments say you should read what’s in the fine print. But as a professional company, you have to be forthright with what you are charging customers. I also think mint.com needs to research who they are doing business with, before referring all of their peopoe to such a scammy business. But truth be told, they are probably getting some back-end profits from freecreditscore.com .

Anyways, I threatened them that I would go to the better business bureau. After being “scolded” and told that for future purposes, I should read all fine (super fine, damn near invisible) print and disclosure agreements before buying anything, I ended up getting my 29.95. And you know what, thanks for the lesson Freecreditscore.com. I will… ’cause you can’t trust ANYONE with your money. Thanks alot!

avatar jesse

i avoided all the buttons that will charge you money. (it is possible) i went through the process of telling them all my private personal and financial info. end result….”we are unable to provide your score at this time”…gee, so the site is “free”. the only problem is…they give you literally nothing. and don’t forget, most people wouldn’t consider wasting 20 minutes of your time and giving-up private info “free”. also, i didn’t forget to immediately call them and cancell the $15-a-month charge that i know they would-have charged. (wouldn’t that be great….to be charged $15 a month to be told “we’re sorry, we can not provide you with your score”/) scamola

avatar Michelle

I had an amount of $19-95 debited to my credit card which I had no idea what it was about. On phoning my card company they told me the name of the company and I googled it only to find it was Experian and there were other people being defrauded. I have never gone onto their site to order a credit report (and as I live in South Africa I certainly would not order a credit report from the USA). So, where did they get my credit card details from (as it is always in my possession) and whose report did they do? Big scam I say.

avatar Dani

DO NOT use freecreditreport.com, I agreed to pay a fee of $1 for a 7 day trial. We cancelled our account within 4 days, I found 3 charges from my bank account in the amounts of 31.95. When I called, they explained that it was a mistake to charge 2 to one account and only refunded 50% of the charges!!! Tota BS… ScAM!!!!!!!l

avatar reiverpacific

The whole concept of three so-called credit bureaus covering a huge, complex nation like the US is ridiculous and needs to be entirely reformed as they are inefficient, incompetent, unforgiving (never taking into account human frailty or something happening in someone’s life which has hurt them already and these crooks just rub it in) and corrupt. You try to get any error -with which they are all riddled- fixed and you will end up in knots with little or no recourse. And yet their decisions are assumed by most people to be final and almost God-like, no questions asked (which we should, constantly). They can make or ruin a person or business. I think a national campaign for credit reporting reform is long overdue. And they are NOT government agencies by the way, with little oversight; they are totally privately funded, mostly by the “big brother” corporate banks and finance houses who use them most and whose side they always take.

avatar PISSED

OMG I had NO IDEA freecreditreport.com was a tricky rip off! I was horrified to see in my acccount that they charged me $31.95!!! I did NOT purchase anything! I’m gonna call them and I hope they will refund me my money. I can’t believe this! If they will not refund me my money I will report them to BBB. I should regardless! I just HATE freecreditreport.com AND Experian who was the ones that charged me. Dammit!

avatar Stonelion

Avoid this company and its website at all costs. I have just discovered that someone had registered with them using my American Express card account. I haven’t used this card in months so as soon as I saw the charge I knew it was fraudulent. To their credit they have refunded the charge and removed my card information from their database (supposedly), but what got me is they knew the names of the people using my card! I asked them why they would let someone with a name different than that on the account use the card and they said they don’t check that. THAT is the first, basic level of Customer Verification! And yes, they are also ripping everyone off that doesn’t realize you can get all this information for free. And the girl on the phone with me even admitted it! funny.

avatar Kim

Fred, explain how I am one of the “idiots who didnt read the fine print” if I was charged and have never even been to the site? And when i contacted them, they told me the reports i was being billed for were in my name, which i know to be wrong because i didnt authorize anything of the sort.

avatar Brian Holbrook

Yep, Free Credit Report is a scam. They charged me $31.95. They said it was to view all three credit reports. The $1 only included Experian. They also said that I would have had to agree to the 31.95 charge. I can assure you I would not have done that. SCAM!!

avatar David

I got duped by freecreditreport.com. Thought I was only paying $1 but they magically signed me up for a monthly fee of $19.95. Called a CSR with freecreditreport.com and spoke with Lanny who said there was nothing I could do and that it was clearly explained on the website what I was entering into. Told him to fuck off and then reported them to the BBB. I received my $$ back within the week. They are being investigated by the AG in Florida so I guess they are trying to not make waves.

avatar Josh

Just yesterday a co-worker told me about freecreditreport.com. I decided to go on as I was curious to see what my credit score was. This was just a one time thing as I was curious, so in order to cancel my account I had to call them. The woman was trying to convince me to not cancel, but eventually she caved in, and my account was cancelled. Today I decide to check my checking account balance, and find a $31.97 charge onto my account from this website, and a $1.00 charge today!! For using this site once, having it cancelled the next day, and having a $32.00 is ridiculous! I’m curious if I will be continuing to be getting charged, or not? Has anyone else had the same problem? I most definitely do NOT recommend this site!!