The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) recently released an updated list of the twelve greenest cars of 2010. The council rates each car with a score, with higher scores going to those cars produce less pollution and are more fuel efficient, resulting in lower energy consumption and carbon dioxide emissions.
Here are the top twelve greenest cars of 2010.
- Honda Civic GX automatic transmission, compressed natural gas
- Toyota Prius automatic transmission
- Honda Civic Hybrid automatic transmission
- Smart Fortwo Convertible/Coupe manual transmission
- Honda Insight manual transmission
- Ford Fusion Hybrid / Mercury Milan Hybrid automatic transmission
- Toyota Yaris manual transmission
- Nissan Altima Hybrid automatic transmission
- Mini Cooper manual transmission
- Chevrolet Cobalt XFE / Pontiac G5 XFE manual transmission
- Hyundai Accent Blue manual transmission
- Honda Fit automatic transmission
When shopping for a car, do you consider your effect to the environment? Most personal finance advice will guide someone to the best car for the available money or the car that is the least expensive to own. New, cleaner technology is often more expensive. Is being green a “luxury?”
Updated February 10, 2011 and originally published January 25, 2010. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @flexo on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.