Here are some tips for returning or getting rid of that tacky gift that has no place in your house, the tasteless joke present that you’d be embarassed for your children to see, or any otherwise unwanted present.
Marshall Loeb from MarketWatch suggests these tips:
* Try to return the item to the store as soon after the holidays as possible.
* Check for fees and restrictions.
* Bring the receipt and creit card and make sure tags are affixed to clothing.
* Be nice to the sales representative.
* Lump your returns into one or two transactions.
* Don’t tell the giver you’ve returned the item unless they ask.
* Make sure the item has not been damaged.
* Look out for any incentives with the return designed to enourage future patronage.
Additions from Ask Andy About Clothes:
* Keep the original box in which you received the item.
* Dress nicely and wear symbols of authority (tie and jacket for example) if you expect a hassle.
Any other tips?
Updated July 16, 2010 and originally published December 12, 2005. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @flexo on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.