Leslie talks to Tom Dziubek and discusses the IRS’s waiver of the two-year waiting period for people applying for a certain type of innocent spouse relief. Leslie and Tom also discuss what an “innocent spouse” is, the criteria needed for innocent spouse relief and also the difference between an “innocent” spouse and an “injured” spouse.
Leslie Dawson, IRS Innocent Spouse Relief: S05E15 / 143
Table of contents
[00:00] Introduction from Tom Dziubek
[00:36] Interview with Leslie Dawson
– [00:50] Explaining an innocent spouse
– [02:16] Innocent spouse relief
– [03:26] The frequency of innocent spouse relief
– [06:34] The criteria that people must meet
– [07:48] Whether spouses benefit from relief if couple still files jointly
– [09:22] The relief process
– [11:10] How far back the IRS can go & seeking tax counsel
– [13:08] Keeping yourself from becoming an innocent spouse
– [14:24] Online resources
– [15:58] Handling of outstanding cases
– [16:12] “Innocent” spouse vs. “injured” spouse
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Theme music by Mindcube.