On today’s Consumerism Commentary Podcast, Tom Dziubek speaks with Richard and Linda Eyre, authors of the book The Entitlement Trap: How to Rescue Your Child with a New Family System of Choosing, Earning, and Ownership. Richard and Linda discuss several concepts in the book including the definition of entitlement, the five family laws and reversing the behavior of a spoiled child.
Richard & Linda Eyre, The Entitlement Trap: S05E26 / 155
Table of contents
[00:00] Introduction from Tom Dziubek
[00:36] Interview with Richard and Linda Eyre
– [00:54] Definition of entitlement
– [01:54] The measurability of entitlements
– [02:46] The difference between generations
– [04:15] Instant and delayed gratification
– [05:52] Nurturing self-esteem
– [06:58] Valuing effort over results
– [09:12] Giving children “ownership”
– [11:47] When children can perceive ownership
– [13:54] Five family laws
– [14:53] Positive reinforcement and entitlement
– [19:32] Money and the “family bank”
– [22:28] Avoiding focusing too much on money
– [23:14] Reversing bad behavior in children
– [26:18] Helping children set goals
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Theme music by Mindcube.
Updated October 17, 2011 and originally published October 16, 2011. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @flexo on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.