In this episode of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast Tom Dziubek speaks with Jeff Rose, Certified Financial Planner™ about financial planning. Jeff talks about different professional designations for financial planners and what it takes to become certified. He shares with Consumerism Commentary Podcast listeners some of the trends he sees with his clients, advice that could benefit everyone.
Tom also interviews Jeff Bartlett, online editor for autos at Consumer Reports, about how the magazine tests and evaluates cars. Jeff also shares suggestions for shoppers who are currently in the market for a safe, reliable car, either new or used, and offers tips for negotiating with car salespeople.
[podcast flashvars="titles: 'Consumerism Commentary Podcast 16: 2009-08-09'"]http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/audio/podcast-016-jeff-rose-cfp-jeff-bartlett-consumer-reports.mp3[/podcast]
To listen, use the player above (Adobe Flash required), download the podcast here, subscribe to the podcast RSS feed, or use the iTunes link. Note: open links in a new window (Ctrl-click or Command-click) to avoid interrupting the podcast.
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo and an announcement about Money Quantum
[00:58] Interview with Jeff Rose, Certified Financial Planner
– [01:12] Difference between Financial Planners and Financial Advisers
– [01:57] The CFP and other designations
– [04:50] Jeff’s website, Good Financial Cents
– [06:36] Changes in saving habits since the beginning of the recession
– [08:10] Tom asks Jeff for free 401(k) advice
[13:02] Interview with Jeff Bartlett, Autos Deputy Editor for Consumer Reports
– [13:15] Auto testing methodology at Consumer Reports
– [15:05] How Consumer Reports handles reliability reports from customers
– [17:02] Consumer Reports’ perceived bias towards foreign cars
– [19:20] Qualifications for the Cash for Clunkers program
– [21:17] Possibility of Cash for Clunkers hurting domestic car sales
– [22:12] American cars that have made the best strides in fuel efficiency
– [22:46] Best buys for new cars
– [23:58] Negotiating with car salesmen
– [26:37] Best choices for used cars
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated December 22, 2011 and originally published August 9, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.