In this episode of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast Tom Dziubek and I discuss home purchasing and ownership with David Crook, editor of the Wall Street Journal Sunday and author of Complete Home Owner’s Guidebook and Complete Real-Estate Investing Guidebook.
Within today’s podcast, David Crook shares his evaluation of today’s real estate market and offers suggestions for buying and managing a home.
To listen, use the player above (Adobe Flash required), download the podcast here, subscribe to the podcast RSS feed, or use the iTunes link. Note: open links in a new window (Ctrl-click or Command-click) to avoid interrupting the podcast.
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo and a reminder about Money Quantum
[00:44] Interview with David Crook
– [01:24] Collapse of the real estate bubble and its effect on home buying
– [01:41] Borrowing money to finance a house in the current market
– [05:59] The emotional aspect of purchasing a house
– [08:15] Buying vs. renting
– [11:35] Tips for first time home buyers
– [14:40] Owning and managing a home in a troubled market
– [15:40] — for first time home buyers
– [16:20] — for those who have purchased a home in the “early cycle”
– [16:42] — for those who have owned a home during the “mid and late cycles”
– [19:48] Government assistance for “early cycle” buyers affected by the market
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated December 22, 2011 and originally published August 16, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @flexo on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.