Today’s episode of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast focuses on budgeting. Our first guest is Jesse Mecham, designer of the budgeting software You Need a Budget. We speak with Jesse about his philosophy and rules of budgeting and how it relates to the software he designed.
In the second half of the podcast, our guests are Francois Bondiguel and Jason Leong, co-founders of the budgeting software PocketSmith. Tom Dziubek speaks with Francois and Jason about PocketSmith.
[podcast flashvars="titles: 'Consumerism Commentary Podcast 20: 2009-09-06'"]http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/audio/podcast-020-you-need-a-budget-pocketsmith.mp3[/podcast]
To listen, use the player above (Adobe Flash required), download the podcast here, subscribe to the podcast RSS feed, or use the iTunes link. Note: open links in a new window (Ctrl-click or Command-click) to avoid interrupting the podcast.
[00:00] Introduction from Tom Dziubek
[00:40] Interview with Jesse Mecham of You Need a Budget about budgeting
– [01:08] Traditional budgeting
– [02:05] Budget limits vs. ways to reduce spending
– [04:39] Budgeting philosophies that ensure success
– [09:46] You Need a Budget (YNAB)
– [13:05] How YNAB is different from other budgeting tools
– [14:44] Price of the YNAB software
[15:59] Interview with the co-founders of PocketSmith
– [16:15] How the co-founders met
– [18:24] Explaining PocketSmith
– [19:40] How PocketSmith is different
– [20:34] PocketSmith’s target audience
– [22:27] Information required by PocketSmith
– [23:19] PocketSmith membership accounts
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated January 16, 2010 and originally published September 6, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.