Our theme for today’s podcast is haggling and negotiating. The first guest in today’s Consumerism Commentary Podcast is Herb Cohen, author of You Can Negotiate Anything and adviser to Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. Herb speaks about the experiences that led to his work in high profile negotiations and offers tips for everyday haggling based on these experiences.
Also appearing in today’s Podcast is Teri Gault, author of Shop Smart, Save More and creator of The Grocery Game. Teri Gault proved listeners with specific advice for negotiating in retail stores and finding the best coupons online.
To listen, use the player above (Adobe Flash required), download the podcast here, subscribe to the podcast RSS feed, or use the iTunes link. Note: open links in a new window (Ctrl-click or Command-click) to avoid interrupting the podcast.
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo
[00:51] Interview with Herb Cohen
– [01:27] Herb Cohen’s history as a negotiator
– [04:46] Herb’s work as an adviser to Presidents Carter and Reagan
– [12:33] Understanding the needs of both parties
– [20:30] The right mentality for haggling
[23:31] Interview with Teri Gault
– [23:45] The Grocery Game
– [24:07] Negotiating with store employees
– [25:14] Using leverage
– [28:40] Uncommon places for negotiation
– [31:48] Haggling with professionals
– [32:58] Teri’s favorite haggling story
– [34:29] Finding coupons online
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated January 16, 2010 and originally published September 27, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.