Tom Dziubek talks with Solin about planning for retirement.
Production Number: S02E02
Segment Number: 41
[podcast flashvars="titles: 'Consumerism Commentary Podcast 28: 2009-11-01'"]http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/audio/podcast-028-dan-solin-smartest-books.mp3[/podcast]
To listen, use the player above (Adobe Flash required), download the podcast here, subscribe to the podcast RSS feed, or use the iTunes link. Note: open links in a new window (Ctrl-click or Command-click) to avoid interrupting the podcast.
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo
[00:32] Interview with Dan Solin, author of the “Smartest Book You’ll Ever Read” series
– [00:48] Rethinking investing
– [02:03] Index funds
– [02:50] Exchange traded funds
– [04:19] Using your 401(k)
– [05:37] The value of the dollar
– [08:20] 4% safe withdrawal rate
– [09:14] Dan’s incident with Jim Cramer
– [13:08] Dan’s Golden Rules for Retirement
– [14:35] Fee-only financial planners
– [15:37] Registered investment advisors
– [17:35] Immediate annuities
– [19:29] Setting aside two years of living expenses
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated January 16, 2010 and originally published November 1, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.