On today’s Consumerism Commentary Podcast, Tom Dziubek speaks with Renaud LaPlanche, co-founder and CEO of LendingClub and Rob Garcia, senior director of product strategy for the same company. The LendingClub teams discusses the benefits and drawbacks of peer-to-peer lending as an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Also in today’s episode, Flexo and Tom Dziubek discuss target date funds.
Production Number: S02E05
Segment Numbers: 42, 44
To listen, use the player above (Adobe Flash required), download the podcast here, subscribe to the podcast RSS feed, or use the iTunes link. Note: open links in a new window (Ctrl-click or Command-click) to avoid interrupting the podcast.
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo
[00:37] Interview with Rob Garcia and Renaud LaPlanche
– [00:57] Peer-to-peer lending
– [02:16] Prospective and typical peer-to-peer borrowers
– [03:49] Lending Club’s borrower screening process
– [04:37] Lending Club’s investor protection
– [05:33] Risks for investors
– [06:25] How to invest with Lending Club
– [08:04] Returns for investors
[09:23] Interview with Flexo about target date funds
– [09:39] Introduction to target date funds
– [10:45] Benefits of target date funds
– [12:30] Drawbacks of target date funds
– [14:27] Are there guarantees?
– [15:36] Costs of target date funds
– [17:05] SEC regulation of target date funds
– [19:25] What happens when the funds mature
– [20:26] The SEC and fund fees
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated May 7, 2014 and originally published November 22, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.