On today’s Consumerism Commentary Podcast, Tom Dziubek speaks with author and columnist, Terri Cullen. Terri Cullen is the author of The Complete Identity Theft Guidebook: How to Protect Yourself from the Most Pervasive Crime in America and is a former columnist for the Wall Street Journal.
Tom Dziubek and Terri Cullen discuss identity theft and identity fraud.
Production Number: S02E07
Segment Number: 48
To listen, use the player above (Adobe Flash required), download the podcast here, subscribe to the podcast RSS feed, or use the iTunes link. Note: open links in a new window (Ctrl-click or Command-click) to avoid interrupting the podcast.
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo
[00:34] Interview with Terri Cullen
– [00:47] An overview of identity theft and identity fraud
– [01:06] How criminals steal your personal information
– [02:09] Medical identity theft
– [03:00] Identity theft and the internet
– [04:46] Child identity theft
– [05:11] Protecting yourself offline
– [07:37] Company security breaches
– [10:05] Knowing if your identity has been stolen
– [11:02] Protecting yourself online
– [12:00] Financial aggregation websites
– [14:15] Facebook and social networks
– [18:53] Protecting kids
– [22:35] Phishing
– [27:27] Social security numbers
– [29:20] Reclaiming your identity
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated January 16, 2010 and originally published December 6, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.