The first guest on today’s Consumerism Commentary Podcast is Dan Greenshields, President of ShareBuilder. Tom Dziubek speaks with Dan about giving stocks or other investments as gifts. Also featured on today’s Podcast is Consumerism Commentary’s staff writer, Kelly Whalen. Kelly, Flexo and Tom discuss Kelly’s background and her own website, The Centisble Life.
Production Number: S02E08
Segment Numbers: 49, 50
To listen, use the player above (Adobe Flash required), download the podcast here, subscribe to the podcast RSS feed, or use the iTunes link. Note: open links in a new window (Ctrl-click or Command-click) to avoid interrupting the podcast.
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo
[00:35] Interview with Dan Greenshields
– [00:48] ShareBuilder
– [01:09] Is it still a good time to start investing?
– [02:09] Tips for first-time investors
– [03:27] Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)
– [04:24] ShareBuilder vs. DRIPs
– [05:42] Stocks and investments as gifts
– [08:20] Picking the right investments
– [08:51] Fractional stocks
[11:28] Interview with Kelly Whalen
– [11:53] The audition for staff writer
– [15:04] Kelly’s interest in personal finance
– [16:11] The Centsible Life
– [16:48] Favorite personal finance tips
– [18:18] Surprises since starting The Centsible Life
– [18:48] Appearing on The Today Show
– [19:52] Favorite books and authors
– [20:46] Future contributions to Consumerism Commentary
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated January 16, 2010 and originally published December 13, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @flexo on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.