Today’s guest on the Consumerism Commentary Podcast is Bob Meighan, CPA and Vice President of Consumer Advocacy at TurboTax. Bob and Tom Dziubek discuss income tax tips related to big life changes such as getting married, buying a home, having or adopting a child and changing jobs.
Production Number: S02E18
Segment Number: 61
To listen, use the player above (Adobe Flash required), download the podcast here, subscribe to the podcast RSS feed, or use the iTunes link. Note: open links in a new window (Ctrl-click or Command-click) to avoid interrupting the podcast.
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo
[00:34] Interview with Bob Meighan
– [00:46] Getting married: filing jointly vs. separately
– [02:51] Tips for those having or adopting a child
– [05:40] Tax tips for new homeowners
– [06:31] Home improvements for medical reasons
– [07:25] “Green” home improvements
– [08:14] Mortgage-related tax breaks
– [08:48] Tax tips when changing jobs
– [10:38] 401k plans
– [11:27] Social security benefits
– [12:14] Tax brackets
– [12:57] Tips for people laid off
– [13:18] Education-related tax breaks
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated March 21, 2011 and originally published February 21, 2010. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @flexo on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.