This week’s guest on the Consumerism Commentary Podcast is Kara McGuire, personal finance columnist at the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Kara’s column, Ka-Ching, runs every Sunday, and she also writes Ka-Blog, a personal finance blog.
In today’s episode, Kara, Flexo and Tom Dziubek discuss the cost of raising a child, how to get a jump on those costs and at what age to introduce children to financial responsibility.
Money & Parenting, Kara McGuire
Production/Segment: S02E25 / 69
Adobe Flash required
Download – RSS – iTunes
Table of contents
[00:00] Introduction from Tom Dziubek
[00:31] Interview with Kara McGuire
– [01:26] The cost of raising a child
– [04:09] Reducing child-related expenses
– [08:23] Saving money despite the expenses
– [10:20] Future college costs
– [11:43] Preparing before starting a family
– [13:54] Tax credits for parents
– [14:33] Workplace benefits for parents
– [15:42] Talking with kids about financial responsibility
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated December 20, 2011 and originally published April 11, 2010. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @flexo on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.