Today’s guest on the Consumerism Commentary Podcast is Richard Lewins, founder of the LewinsLaw legal practice and author of the book, How to Keep From Going Broke with a Broker – A Guide to Opening, Maintaining and Surviving Your Brokerage Account. Tom Dziubek talks to Richard about the basics of what being a broker is, what their responsibilities are, and how to take precautions when dealing with one.
How to Keep From Going Broke With a Broker, Richard Lewins
Production/Segment: S03E06 / 77
Adobe Flash required
Download – RSS – iTunes
Table of contents
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo
[00:32] Interview with Richard Lewins
– [00:48] LewinsLaw legal practice
– [01:09] Defining brokers
– [01:53] Broker training and licenses
– [04:15] Brokers and fiduciaries
– [05:27] How brokers are compensated
– [06:06] The guidance that people can expect from brokers
– [07:09] The people who need brokers
– [08:50] Brokers and discount brokerages
– [09:48] How to deal with possible broker misconduct
– [12:41] Examples of broker misconduct
– [16:28] How to Keep From Going Broke with a Broker
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated February 6, 2012 and originally published May 30, 2010. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @flexo on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.