On today’s episode of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast, Tom Dziubek talks to Fred Williams, author of the book Fight Back Against Unfair Debt Collection Practices: Know Your Rights and Protect Yourself from Threats, Lies, and Intimidation.
Fred talks about going from being a journalist at the Buffalo News to working at a leading debt collection agency. He talks about many tactics employed by debt collectors, some legitimate and some unscrupulous, and what consumers can do to protect themselves.
Fight Back Against Unfair Debt Collection Practices, Fred Williams: S03E23 / 96
Adobe Flash required
Download – RSS – iTunes
Table of contents
[00:00] Introduction from Tom Dziubek
[00:35] Interview with Fred Williams
– [00:50] Going from journalist to debt collector
– [01:47] The demeanor of debt collectors
– [03:26] Debt collector training
– [04:21] The typical collection agent
– [06:26] The tricks and tools used by agents
– [08:51] Reactions of people who are called
– [09:46] Stopping collection calls
– [11:27] Disputing debts
– [14:55] Stopping communication at work
– [16:48] Guarding against scams and shakedowns
– [18:48] Taking collectors to court
– [19:55] What do debt collectors consider a success
– [21:05] Negotiating with a collection agency
– [23:39] Being wrongly targeted by collection agencies
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Published or updated September 26, 2010. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.