Today on the Consumerism Commentary Podcast, Tom Dziubek and Flexo talk to Kimberly Palmer, senior editor at U.S. News & World Report and author of the newly released book, Generation Earn: The Young Professional’s Guide to Spending, Investing, and Giving Back.
After first talking with Tom about Generation Y back in May, Kim joins the podcast once again. This time we talk about how young professionals should define money goals, how those money goals tie in to life goals, the right time to discuss finances with a your partner in a budding relationship, and other topics from her new book.
Generation Earn, Kimberly Palmer: S03E26 / 101
Adobe Flash required
Download – RSS – iTunes
Table of contents
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo
[00:36] Interview with Kimberly Palmer
– [01:02] Generation Earn
– [01:52] Financial goals for young professionals
– [02:31] Tying financial goals to life goals
– [04:16] Having an entrepreneurial spirit
– [04:56] Combating spending
– [06:42] Good debt
– [07:51] Income smoothing
– [09:02] Beating the finance industry at their game
– [10:34] The correct amount of debt
– [11:39] Simplicity vs. consumerism
– [13:59] Discussing finances in a relationship
– [16:42] Home ownership’s effect on weight and happiness
– [18:57] Socially responsible companies
– [21:20] Charity trends among young professionals
– [23:00] Identifying the most efficient charities
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.