On today’s Consumerism Commentary Podcast, Tom Dziubek speaks with Laura Rowley, columnist at Yahoo Finance and author of the book Money and Happiness: A Guide to Living the Good Life. Laura talks about money and its correlation to happiness including topics such as how much money it takes to feel satisfied, at what monetary point people plateau at in regards to happiness and mindsets that contribute to people feeling unhappy.
Laura Rowley, Money & Happiness: S04E5 / 105
Adobe Flash required
Download – RSS – iTunes
Table of contents
[00:00] Introduction from Tom
[00:34] Interview with Laura Rowley
– [00:49] The differences between satisfaction and happiness
– [03:59] Hedonic adaptation
– [05:11] Social capital and mastery
– [06:53] Money as a tool
– [09:10] Aspiring to achieve happiness – identifying what you value most in life
– [12:06] Addressing debt
– [12:58] Prioritizing your debt payoffs
– [16:43] Money & kids
– [18:22] Savings and retirement tips
– [20:09] Having the right mindset to achieve happiness
– [27:22] Buying experiences instead of “things”
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Published or updated November 20, 2010. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.