On today’s episode of the Consumerism Commentary Podcast, Flexo speaks with Leigh Mutert, CPA and Community Manager at H&R Block. Flexo and Leigh discuss many aspects of the new tax laws including the extension of the Bush-era tax cuts, the payroll tax “holiday” and its impact on many self-employed people.
Leigh Mutert, H&R Block, The New Tax Laws: S04E10 / 112
Adobe Flash required
Download – RSS – iTunes
Table of contents
[00:00] Introduction from Flexo
[00:34] Interview with Leigh Mutert
– [00:29] The new tax laws
– [01:28] The payroll tax holiday
– [02:43] The impact on self-employed people
– [03:16] The alternative minimum tax
– [04:42] Income level for the AMT
– [06:38] The American Opportunity Credit
– [08:18] The Lifetime Learning Credit
– [09:03] The marriage “penalty”
– [11:45] The estate tax
– [15:59] Tips for self-employed individuals
We always welcome feedback from listeners. If you have any comments for this episode or for any other, or if you have suggestions for future episodes, please leave us comments here or email us at podcast at this domain name.
Updated March 21, 2011 and originally published December 26, 2010. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.