Receiving the First Time Homebuyer Credit

Although receiving the first-time homebuyer tax credit initially took six weeks to receive, many customers have had problems receiving their credit from the IRS. As evidenced by the six hundred comments below, many have not been thrilled with the process, even those who filed the paperwork correctly and legitimately should receive the credit.

For those of you who have filed or are planning to file an amended income tax return (form 1040X) to receive the (up to) $8,000 first time homebuyer tax credit this year rather than waiting for next year, there is some good news.

Although the IRS is more than likely overwhelmed, the refunds initially took six to eight weeks to receive. Here is an early comment from a Consumerism Commentary reader:

Just wanted to let you know that I received my $8,000 (plus interest) from my 1040X by mail yesterday. I mailed my amended return around June 25, so I feel the turnaround was very acceptable. Even though our original refund came by direct deposit, this one came by check; I don’t know why.

There are a few interesting notes to take away from Kimberly’s experience.

The IRS is providing interest payments as if they owed money to the taxpayer since April 15. This is the normal case when the IRS underpays a refund. It’s good to see they are providing interest in the same manner here even though the law was not created until after many people had filed their 2008 tax returns.

Six weeks is a reasonable time frame to expect your credit. Many people I’ve spoken with expected the credits to take much longer, prompting some to suggest waiting until the 2009 income tax return is due. I see no reason to wait that long. Plus, it’s unlikely you’ll receive interest if you wait until April 2010.

Keep in mind that if your paperwork requires manual intervention, like an address change, or if the information you provide does not match what the IRS has on file, your credit could take longer to receive.

The refunds are sent by paper check. I warned of this in earlier articles. Even though you may have designated a bank account for direct deposit when you filed your original tax return, the IRS is sending the refunds through the U.S. Postal Service as if we were still living in the twentieth century.

Have you received your first-time homebuyer tax credit yet? How long did it take?

Updated July 31, 2011 and originally published August 7, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.

Luke Landes is the founder of Consumerism Commentary. He has been blogging and writing for the internet since 1995 and has been building online communities since 1991. Find out more about Luke Landes and follow him on Twitter. View all articles by .

avatar Travis

On January 4, 2010, I posted on this website about my struggle with getting my check. After six months of waiting……………………..still NOTHING!!! I am not strapped for cash, but there are some repairs I would like to make to my house that there is really no reason to go in debt for. I call the IRS EVERY Tuesday and I am told a different thing every week. At one point someone told me that I was denied and then the next week they said they had made adjustments and now it is in a “holding pattern.” I know the IRS has to play it safe because they were getting people who made stuff up and awarded them a credit to find out that the name they used was phony. I am sorry, but that is the IRS fault. When I filed my amended return, I had all my loan paperwork, settlement statement, deed, everything I thought I would need. They ONLY needed the date I purchased the home, who I purchased it from, and how much I purchased the home…..gee….I wonder why they had people fraudulently scamming them. MAYBE IT’S BECAUSE THE IRS IS RETARDED. They should have required more info, and I know thats why they are being extra careful, but on the other hand, I don’t care, their “safety” isn’t my problem, they should have thought about that when they printed the forms for this credit. So after all of this bull, I have contacted my attorney and he put me in link with a tax payer advocate, which is basically a person that goes to the IRS and kicks them in their @$$ to get them moving. I am praying this is what gets it done. I don’t know why I expected this to go smooth from the get go because if there is one thing we all know about our government. This was a project set in place by republicans and democrats working together. In the FAMOUS words of Lewis Black, “There is only one thing dumber than a republican and a democrat, and thats when these pricks work together.” I wish you all better luck going through this because I have had it with this stupid run around. It would not surprise me if I never get a check because thats the way my luck usually runs. Take care, all of you. Stay in touch and share your story on my facebook page. Just search for me on facebook, Travis McGuire.

avatar No longer waiting to be approved

I just called the Irs and was told that my money will be direct deposit next week. Well the problem is I went to Jackson Hewitt last year and received a RAL. I no longer have that pre paid credit card that Jackson Hewitt gave me last year. So now I have to wait till it hits the bank and then be sent back to the IRS so they can cut me a check. This is crazy

avatar No longer waiting to be approved

I just called and spoke to another person and she told me that my check will be sent to me and not direct deposit. She also said that it will be cut on the 26th with added interest of $299.14. I’ve been waiting since Aug 11th 2009. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!

avatar Rasheed

Hello can you tell me what number you are contacting the IRS at? I get all automated lines

avatar Ron

6 weeks!!?? Ha! Try 7 months and counting! I filed in August of last year and I have made COUNTLESS calls the the irs and I still dont have my refund or an explanation as to why! I did everything right and they keep telling me to “be patient”. The IRS is the biggest joke of an organization I have ever dealt with.

avatar brittany

I also did mine in August of last year and still waiting they said wait 30 days then I called and they said an additional 90 days. I called my Congressman they said they can help! Give it a try!

avatar Ron

Im giving it a try. My representative is also a neighbor so that may help! Good luck to you Brittany.

avatar brittany

Good luck to you also Ron! I just got a letter today they need additional information and the rep did contact a local IRS building so at least I heard from them.

avatar Ron

Well I finally got my check!! I had $337 in interest included so that made the wait a little more bearable. The tax payer advocate representative was very helpful, I really don’t think I would have ever received my tax credit without them.

avatar CAROLYN

Finally…Filed October 13. Sent Suporting docs on my own Jan 5th (never recv letters from IRS),
got an Tax Advocated Feb 19th. Check will be mailed Mar 26th.
What a long, slow, miserable, frustrating road I’ve been own.
$8219 is what I’m getting which includes the TAXABLE interest they’ve tacked on.
Now I can do some repairs and save the rest for a rainy day.
Best wishes to those who are still going through the grind…this experiance has been a complete mess.

avatar Rasheed

I closed on Dec 28, 2009 in Virginia. I see some have talked to agents every place I get is automated. Can someone help me with getting a contact phone for someone? I have not been waiting long but at the looks of all the responses it looks like I will be waiting a long time. So can someone please give me some insight on what I should do.

avatar Ben

Call 1800 829-0582 and push extension 462. This is the number I was calling. You actually get a real person who is actually knowledgeable.
Jan 20- Sent In my hub statement and 5405.
Feb 23- Everything was approved
Mar 15- Got my 8000 check in the mail

avatar Rasheed

Hopefully I get mine in the mail that fast. I doubt it cause they sent my reg tax return and said they may need additional information.

avatar Hillary

What all paperwork did you send? I sent my settlement statement that had all the signatures on it. Is that good?

avatar Tooner

Okay, this one is interesting:

Hello,
I closed on November 25, 2009. I sent in the paperwork for the $8,000 credit the very next day. About a month later, I got notice that I was to be audited for the $8,000 and would need provide proof of purchase to include:

A copy of the completed purchase contract
A copy of personal identification reflecting my new address
A copy of the mortgage statement showing payments to my new address
A copy of my bank statement showing my new address as the mailing address

Since I had just made my first mortgage payment, I couldn’t send any of that paperwork until the end of January. But when I did (and I faxed it over by the way) I didn’t receive any additional notice until a week ago (mid-march) at which point I was informed that I would finally be receiving the credit by direct deposit on the 19th of March.
I still haven’t received the money and after double checking the routing and bank account numbers, know that the problem is not on my side.

So please, just know that some folks are having a painstaking time getting the credit. Do not rely on the money for any kind of bills nor expect this to be an easy process for everyone.

avatar shelby

Filled our taxes the first of Feb. of 2010 then a week later amended them Feb.9 2010, just received them in the mail today, march 29, 2010. Not too bad at all, just shy of 8 weeks.

avatar Ryan

Filled taxes and credit at the end of January, received letter mid February for HUD statement. Sent that in immediately. Since mid February, IRS site showed that the return would be mailed March 30th. As of today, no deposit or check.

avatar angela

They do not do direct deposits for the first time home buyer credit so expect a check mailed out today.

avatar Ryan

I will keep an eye out this week and repost my progress.

avatar Ryan

Went back to pending, that they have received it. I called and they can’t find my information in the system. Still waiting…

avatar Jayline

This is about my 8th posting since Aug.09. I mailed and fax all the required documents three times. I finally called an advocate early March and the advocate advised me to wait an additional 30 days, so that irs can review my docs. The advocate told me if I don’t get a letter from the IRS within 30 days, I can call back and then request an advocate. Does this make sense? In two days it will be a whole NINE MONTHS of waiting. I guess I can request an advocate on April 1st.

avatar Andrea

I sent my tax return and fthb credit on febuary 10th. I recieved a letter from irs on march 30th wanting more info on house.I owner financed so i didnt have a hud 1 form so had to send in a private closing document. irs told me give them another 6 to 8 weeks to get my credit.I am just playing the waiting game again.

avatar andrea

now they are telling me i should recieve my refund by may 14th. Everytime i call it just gets pushed back further and further.this is driving me crazy!

avatar Traci

I walked in my amended 2008 return for the FTHBC on Feb17, 2010. I took the return to the Atl, GA office. I received my check in the mail on March 26th. The things that I included in my packet are as follows:

Form 1040x
Form 5405
HUD Settlement Statement
Driver’s Licence showing current address
Utility Bills
Home Insurance Invoice
Paycheck Stubs showing current address
Bank Statements showing current address
Mortgage Statements and proof of payments

avatar Holly

This is one of the questions that I have we have not did an amendment yet and have not decided if we are going to do one or not. I was curious if the processing time will be shorter if you provide all of the documents upfront or just send in the 5405 and wait to see what else they ask for. In the past I had worked for a government agency where I processed licenses and those that sent everything in at once and there was no problems with the documents got their license quickly but those who sent in an incomplete packet you had to do a letter or phone call which delayed their license. Basically these applications went in a pending file and whenever I could get to them then a letter was done or a phone call was made but I would continue processing other completed packets. I dont want to send them things they wouldnt regularly request or give them any other information that they dont need. My other fear is that we do our return to our PO Box for security reasons and we do receive some mail at our house too but most of our important documents have a PO Box on it and not the physical address.

avatar Marie

I just got off the phone with IRS and I sent in my claim on Feb/27/10. I was told that they have recieved it but it has not yet been processed and It should take aleast another 6 weeks maybe more. Thanks for the number you gave on this comment page I didn’t know how to contact them .I only waited 3min

avatar Jayline

hello,
My last post was on March 30th. IRS advised me to call back if I don’t get a response within 30days. ofcoarse I got no response,so I called an advocate for the second time. The first time the advocate advised me to wait 30 days and now today they adivsed me to wait an additional 15 days. She informed me that If IRS doesn’t give me a response in 15 days, than an advocate will be assigned to me. In three months it will be a whole year that I’ve amended my return. Let’s not forget that I faxed and mailed all the require docs three times. HMMMMMMMM!

WISH ME LUCK!

avatar manu

wow …i feel better…..i closed on my house on 29 Sep 09 and sent the first week of OCT…still waiting i also sent HUD, Mortgage….all the proof that i live in this house and still dlon’t have an agent or person assign to my case….I called the advocate center and she suppost to call me by Tuesday of next week …..I’m so pissed i spend all my money on this house …due counting on this f credit ……and the IRS workers don’t know what are talking about cuz i called 3 times in one day and all 3 told me a different story…..plus they don’t even comment when you are calling…they are so LAZZZZYYYYYY….but any I write a letter and i will send it to Denise Kidd he supost to be the MANAGER in Atlanta will send a copy to congress and senator …..this is BS….

avatar brittany

You can call your congressman directly to have them help you that is what I did. So far so good we are making progress.

avatar manu

Thank you !!

avatar Burned

I wish that I had never heard of the First Time Homebuyer Credit!! What a nightmare! After waiting 4 months, I was denied. I researched to find arguments why my claim was indeed valid, and discovered that not only was I not actually eligible (free consultations with a lawyer and a CPA had previously confirmed my belief that I was eligible), but I had a made a mistake on past returns and actually OWE money, to the tune of $2000 or so.

My situation is unique and complicated by my acting as general contractor on my home, and it took me several years. I didn’t realize there is a 24 month limitation for claiming mortgage interest on my itemized deductions (“home acquisition debt”) until I read Publication 936 thoroughly during my research. So, though I am OK for claiming 24 months worth, this caused my house under construction to be qualified as a residence that I owned, thus disqualifying me for the 1st time homebuyer credit. Plus now I have to amend my federal and state returns for time beyond the 24 months to remove the MI that I claimed and of course there is interest on that which I owe. I am annoyed that the tax software I have used over the years (tried several) did not alert me to the issue, just had me plug in the info from my 1098. If you go digging, you can find the info, but even the actual federal form itself says to enter the amount from your 1098, and the only warning is that you cannot claim personal interest (like credit card interest).

Last year, I hired some guys for the final push to get me into the house before the deadline, thinking that I would be able to pay them with the 1st time homebuyer credit. I ended up having to refinance the house to pay them. And now instead of having more work done on the house (like railings for the stairs!), I owe money to the frigging government. Thanks for NOTHING, Congress and Mr. President!

avatar Burned (again)

Well, it gets better (NOT!!!!). Less than two hours after paying my back taxes with a credit card (because I didn’t want to pay the IRS $52-$104 to set up an installment agreement), I got an email notice from the card company that they are cutting my credit line, effectively maxing out my card. I wonder how much this has hurt my credit score and how much my interest rate is going to increase because of it.

avatar manu

Well today I received a call from the advocate…she told me i have to send all the proof i sent to IRS as proof of living in this property …….and she told me 30 days…….i hope ….this is such a pain …..IRS need to hire more people…..

avatar APICTON

I purchased my home on February 24, 2010. I mailed off my tax documents with the contract and the 1045 and the “amended return” form on March 15, 2010. I called last week just to be nosey and see where it was in the process. The woman I spoke with was very kind and she told me that it was not showing as “received” yet – but that when it is “received” in their system it will be close to disbursement and she advised I call back in two weeks.

She did put me on hold twice to make sure that it was not that far along into processing yet.

I snail-mailed it to Fresno after doing the amended return with H&R Block. I will keep you posted about what happens!

avatar APICTON

I forgot to mention… if you filed an AMENDED return it will NEVER show up on “Where’s My Refund?” online. You have to call. If you filed for your $8,000 FTHBC with your regular taxes, THEN you can check “Where’s My Refund?”

avatar Hillary

So I bought my house in Jan 30 2010. I filed my taxes then did my 09 amendment. I have been calling to see if they have at least got it in there system. Well today i called and the IRS guy was soooo helpful. He said its been assigned to someone and that there was issues with mine. On my amendement i put my moms address for the check to go to then of course i put my new house address as the house I bought. IRS was confused on why I put both well HR Block told me to put my old address because thats the address I put for my 09 return. Well anyways I said is there anyway I can fax proof that it is my house. Or what do I need to do. He said well I understand what happened and let me see if I can process this myself. He comes back about 7 minutes later and said ok your good to go. I said what. He said I processed it for you. You should get a check in the beginning of May… OMG. This was the best IRS guy ever!!!! I will let you know when I get my check. I asked if i will have any more problems he said no since its been processed and accepted. I have to say this has to be luck! Keep you posted.

avatar Jayline

Hello everyone,
Update from previous posting. It gets better…………….On April 8th I received a letter indicating that my social # wasn’t on file therefore, I must give irs a call if I want to continue to pursue the credit. I called the IRS in regards to the letter and the rep told me “I have no idea, which letter your speaking about”. I gave her the form# and still, she had nothing on file that indicated they didn’t have my social#. Again, mailed twiced last year and faxed once this year.On April 12th, I received another letter indicating they received my faxed docs on 3/1 and they will have a response for me by 5/15/10. Even better now, IRS claimed that the docs were not received, but how come those docs were returned to me on April 12th with a posted stamp on it from Jan. On April 13th I contacted a tax advocate for the 3rd time and finally they agreed to take my case. She called me today and told me that everything should be settled by 5/28. Three more months and it will be a whole year.

avatar manu

IRS workers are F ****** LAZZZZZYYYYY just receiving a pay check and not working ….

avatar Kac

I just had to post to this site one last time and say… All you people that filed within the last few months for the new home credit should be ashamed of yourself when you cry and throw names at the IRS! I waited from July 09 until Feb of this year before I got my check!! Wait that long then you have a reason to pout!!

avatar Brittany

I have been waiting since July 12 2009 and still waiting. So I do have a reason =)

avatar suzy h.

well good news i finally held my tax advacate on april 26, finally got my approval after 9months
still have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the check to come. i don’t care as long as i get it.i agree get a
tax advacate to help, because i was getting no place before i got them.

avatar George

So I bought my house in September 2, 2009, called the IRS several times (every time getting a different story on when the check was suppose to be coming and what the status of my filing was), then finally was told in January that my application had been sent to “fraud claims.” This is fine with me… I think that this is a very necessary department that should have been in place from the very begining of this program. I was told that I was sent to fraud claims b/c my zip code was the same from where I was living to where I moved to… whatever. I was told that someone would contact me and we woudl get it worked out. So 10 weeks after that I have not received a phone call… so I call to see what the status is again… I am told that they would need supporting documentation (something I was not told previously) to prove my new residence and they would send me a form to request this. “Fine, please send it.” 4 weeks after that I get the form in the mail… immediately that day I fax and send in the mail my supporting docs (just to make sure they get it.) Call 2 weeks later to make sure they got it, and they confirmed and told me it would take 30 to 45 days to review it. It has now been 50 days since they recieved it, and naturally I am curious so I call. Not only was the person I talked to the rudist person ever, but she told me that it takes MINIMUM 60 days until they pull my file for review… but more than likely it would be much more than that.
So now I am in week 30 since I ammended my return for this and who knows how long it will be before I see a check.
Anyone else seeing this problem?

avatar Katie

So, I have been waiting since April of 2008- can I get frustrated yet?!?!

avatar Lailoni

Hello All,
I’m a new home-owner, (thank you very much!), and I’ve only been waiting about 3 months for my refund. I’m not feeling too confident about this refund after I read previous comments. Some of you have been waiting since last year! Wow! What a drag! I was thinking that since alot of you have been waiting for such a long time, that maybe things at the IRS would have gotten better by now but, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Surely with all of the complaints that they’ve received they would have hired more staff to deal with the vast amount of refunds being requested!

Anyway, has anyone who has filed this year, 2010, received better service from the IRS regarding status of refunds? What about actual refunds? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

avatar Rolfe

I purchased a house in November 2009 and decided to wait to file for the homebuyer’s credit with my 2009 return.

In that little bit of time, I was told that I could file for my credit with my tax return, then I was told I needed to file it on an amended return, then I was told I had to file “OLD SCHOOL” … paper/pencil. After all that … I still need to wait 16 weeks.

The purpose of the credit was to revitalize people’s confidence in the housing market and encourage consumers to buy homes. With the incentive, they (IRS) should have known people would seriously pursue the credit … and they should have been prepared.

It is ridiculous that they are still encouraging people to buy houses and they haven’t lived up to their end of the bargain for those who have already purchased houses.

avatar troy

If your planning on getting the first time buyer tax credit you better hurry up and wait. They received our return on January 21st 2010. Its now May 6th and nothing. Everytime I call I get a different sob story. Our original refund date was April 6th that came and went with nothing so since April 7th its been in Error code 1301. I called that day and they said its in error resolution and to call back in two weeks and they will have a new date for me. I call back in two weeks and they say terribly sorry but we meant 2 business weeks so really three weeks. So I call back then and they say sorry no word yet. Finally last week they say its coming out of error processing on April 30th and ill have a date next week. Well this week is almost over and nothing. So now the rep is going to put a “referral” on it so if it sits there for more than 30 days it will be pushed threw???? yea ok right. Im sure that will screw it up somehow so I have to wait even longer, what a crock of crap this whole thing is. Going on 6 months to get a freaking tax refund give me a break. Im shooting for having it for christmas 2010 if I get it at all, its probly just a government scam to get the economy going again.

avatar angela

I would contact your state tax advocate. After 3 mos. I got tired of calling the IRS and getting the run around. It’s very easy – just contact your state advocate, there’s a form you can print online, fill it out explaining your situation and fax it to them. I received a call from them later that week and by the next week they were able to give me the exact date it would be mailed out. It definitley sped up the process. I would also exagerate your situation just to give it more urgency.

avatar t

We re long-term resident buyers. We purchased in October, 2009. Was told by everyone we would qualify for the credit. Now, after many resends of information, and phone calls, it says we don’t qualify. I know I read it in July or August 2009 that the long term resident credit was in effect. Otherwise, would not have bought a new home. Any ideas on how to fix this?

avatar Hillary

May 10,2010 and I got my $8000. I bought my house Jan 30,2010 and filed my income taxes. Then amended them at the end of February. They got my amendment March 3,2010 and I bugged every week after the 1st month. Finally a nice IRS employee answered and was nice enough to finish up the process while I was on the phone with him.. I waited 2 month and 9 days for my check. There is HOPE that it can go fast. Keep calling, keep bugging, ask someone if they can do it for you. I even had an address issue with IRS but I just had to explain my situation. Didnt need proof of anything. Just sent my statement of settlement with my amendment. Sorry for all of you that have been waiting. Its ridiculous.

avatar R-

Hello all ! I just wanna share my experience.. First off, my tax guy screwed up :( gave us the wrong address. Obviously, they never received it :( We sent it out on 02/19 and called about a month ago just to find out they didn’t have our paperworks. I had my wife resent IRS a copy of what we sent out but, this time we included 4 diff bills with our names and address, she also sent the package via USPS(which kinda pissed me off :( ) A couple of days later, went on line and it looks like they received it and it says that we should receive our refund on June 8, 2010. Ofcourse I thought it was just too good to be true after reading all these nightmares. I thought we need but, not worth stressing out about it, we will get it when we get it :) So this morning, I decided to check on it and to my suprised, it said that it will be direct deposited to our account on May 14th :-O. So I thought, yah sure whatever, i know something will come up to delay it.. Next thing you know, my wife calls me to tell me that the deposit is pending in our account. So I guess we got really lucky or a knowledgable person handled our file? Basically, it only took about 4weels to process our refund. I guess my advise is to send all needed paperworks along with bills supporting that you actually live there. Good luck to you all!

avatar Lailoni

R, thanks for sharing your experience. Did you send your original paperwork for the house credit with your regular return or did you send an amended return? Just wondering since you may get it direct deposited. Haven’t heard of too many people getting it direct deposited. I’m glad for you and yours!

avatar May

Closed escrow in November 2009. We filed our taxes early 2010. Filed 2010 amendment, included the WHOLE entire packet that the title company handed over and sent the entire copy of the packet via UPS overnight on February 26, 2010. March 29, 2010 we received a letter from IRS stating they received my amendment and that I will be receiving my $8000 refund. April 12, 2009 received check, so a total of 7 weeks for our check to arrive.

avatar Lailoni

May, I’m glad that you and yours didn’t have to wait as long as everyone else has. I think that the people in the past who filed those fraudulent claims and received that money illegally has truly messed it up for the rest of us. I think I can speak for everyone who filed last year and so on, that if we had known to send everything that we had, entire closing packets, bills, and so forth, we would have. It seems like it speeds up the process. I myself sent the signature pages, a copy of the deed, and the mortgage bill so hopefully that will be enough. I called on the 5th of May and she told me that they had until June 18th to even get it processed so I’ll just wait till then before I call back and hopefully it wont get placed on a shelf and forgotten about.

avatar Jenny

We have been waiting for a total of 14 weeks for our tax credit. Each time i call, the IRS says it is “under review”. Its very frustrating. I had no idea it would take so long. If we owed the IRS, they would be garnishing our wages, and we would have to file an extension. I hope they pay us interest as they would expect us to.

avatar ldmszm

We just closed on our house on 05/17/10 and mailed my paperwork (1040x, 5405 and HUD-1 statement) yesterday via FedEx to Austin IRS. I am very nervous as I was reading all comments…I hope we don’t have to wait too long to receive our check. I will check back in 6 weeks! Thanks guys for the information!!!

avatar Kris

Hi, Idmszm, did you receive your refund? My case is similar — closed on May 10th, mailed everything on May 20th (snail mail), and it is now July 10th with no word whatsoever.

avatar ldmszm

Not yet! I called the IRS today but was told that their system was down so I will need to call back… Today will be my 8th week so I will call back tomorrow!

avatar ldmszm

UPDATE!
I just called and spoke with a helpful person…My check was mailed last Friday but it was mailed to my old address. She was not sure why my address was not updated as it was noted on my amended return. I hope I will get it soon! Good luck to everyone.

avatar ldmszm

UPDATE!
I just received my check yesterday! $8,000 plus $66.02 interest. I can finally furnish my new house! it’s took me about 8 weeks (would’ve been 7 weeks but they sent my check to my old address). Good luck to everyone!

avatar Frustrated Ashley

Hey everyone! I’m really glad (sorry) that we are not alone! We amended our 2008 taxes and sent them in Oct 1, 2009 and still have not received our check!! We have called a million times, sent in more documentation, and have waited. This is insane!! Everytime we call they just tell us to give them more time…WHAT??!! Really? More time!! I have really lost all hope of getting this money. I think that the government doesn’t have it and they are just shuffling us around because they know there is absolutely nothing we can do about it except…..wait!!!

avatar Lailoni

I understand how you feel about this. We’ve been waiting 12 weeks today and haven’t herd nor received a thing from the IRS. I called, only to be told that they have 16 weeks to actually process a return, not including the other steps involved. I try not to complain because after reading notes here, I see that many people have been waiting far longer than I. It’s a shame. I honestly thought that things may have changed this year and that they may have gotten a little more help to deal with the numerous returns coming in but, I see that this may not be the case at all. I know how beneficial this money would be for us if it were to come now so I can just imagine how grateful some of you would be who have been waiting longer than I. Perhaps things will speed up there this summer and more people will recieve this much needed money. Who knows, maybe someone here may find that check in the mailbox this week….

avatar Frustrated Ashley

Quick response to some of the emails I have gotten…
I did check into a tax advocate but they are so buried by all of this that I really dont think it will help, not to mention they gave me the same…just wait another 30 days and then call us back if you havent heard from them, speech! I did write my congressman and hope to get some help there. Thanks for the comments!

avatar Monika

Hi Ashley,
I understand your frustration…If it makes you feel better we are waiting since end of june 2009. We called IRS maybe 12 times, mailed all documents they requested and we still don’t have our money….
We also contacted tax advocate but it didn’t help…

avatar P

I would like to know, why do it take so long to get a response from the IRS for the First time home buyer check. I have mailed them all the information they asked for but still no check. I have friends that got their check in a month or two without any long wait. I mailed my amend in to them in Nov. 2009 and i haven’t got a check yet. I bought my house in Sept. 18, 2009 and i sent them all the papaer work that i had to the new house. I call today May 20, 2010 and the worker told me that it was on a examiner desk, and that i can call back to check on it anytime.

avatar Frustrated Ashley

P-
It could sit at the examiner desk for months! What they told me was that they were now putting everyones claims through extra steps because of all the fradulent claims and that that has caused them to be backed up even more. Who knows if its the truth, but all I know is ours was officially at the “examiners desk” over 3 months ago and they just told me yesterday that they need more time and to call back if we havent heard anything by the end of June! Good luck but I would not get in any kind of hurry for the money.

avatar Monika

I wonder if they going to send us interest for all that waiting….ha ha ha…i dont think so :-(

avatar Frustrated Ashley

Actually I think they are! Don’t get too excited but I know a lot of people have posted that they received interest for the wait!

avatar Monika

I know some people received interest, but I am sure with our luck there will be some “law” which allows them not to pay interest…In the end it is probably going to be our fault that it took them so long to process the application.:-):-):-)

avatar Meg

I live in MA and closed on my condo on 5/21/09. I did not mail my amended 2008 return until I submitted my 2009 return – one of the first days of February. I never received any follow-up saying it had been received, or any requests for more documents so I assumed it was sitting at the bottom of a pile on someone’s desk. I just called a number I found online (1-800-829-0582 ext. 462) and spoke with a very sweet woman who told me that my check is actually being mailed tomorrow! It will be for $8,350.22 and should arrive within two weeks. So, by the time I receive it, it will have taken just about five months for turnaround… Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

avatar serene

Hi, I have been waiting for 12 weeks for the irs just to say the have recived it. I want to know if we can check the statas on the irs website or is the only way to get a responce is by calling? thx

avatar Nic

I just called to see if they received paperwork too and asked if there is a way to check status online and they said no just keep calling and bugging…I dont know how some people said they sent it then called to make sure it was received…we sent our weeks ago and they said they cant tell if its been received.

avatar Julie Replogle

It took the IRS 6 weeks to even put it in the computer that yes they have recieved my paperwork. Sent it in on 05/26/2010, they said they recieved it on the 28th of May but took 6 more weeks to actually put that info in the computer. Must have been a very slow typist. Haha.

avatar Frustrated Ashley

Nic if you are talking about the intial paperwork then we didnt call and check for approximatley 2 months. As for the additional papers we had to send in, we called about three weeks after we sent them in and they confirmed that they received them, but said they have not examined them yet. I would be worried if after a month they will not confirm that they atleast received the papers!

avatar serene

Can anyone tell me what the additional info is that they need?? I was thinking i would just fax the info over before I get the letter telling me to do so. thanks

avatar Slapp Chopp

I believe they just need verification that you own the house. You can probably give them as much as possible… mortgage statements… all the closing paperwork… a first born….

avatar Slapp Chopp

There doesnt seem to be as much of an issue going on in 2010. Filed my ammendment at the end of April 2010… Just spoke with IRS, and they said my check would most likely be sent June 18th.

avatar Nic

Was this the first time you called…i also sent mine end of april and ive been calling and so far they still say its not showing up. When did you send it and what did you send?

avatar Frustrated Ashley

Yeah the IRS told us in the beginning of May that we would be getting our check by May 20th because that was the absolute longest amount of time they had to have it to us……..Suprise!! May 20th came and went, called IRS, they said oh sorry we need more time..now they say call back by the end of JUNE!!! So don’t get your hopes up, but I definitely hope you get yours when they say you will!

avatar Kendall

I sent docs to the IRS, 6 weeks ago and just called 1-800-829-0582 ext. 462 to verify they received the HUD-1 and amendment tax forms, and I was told their systems are updated on Mondays, and there is a 8 week wait for docs to be entered and visible to them to verify, and it will be approximately 16 weeks until the refund is issued. It appears some people are just now receiving their tax credit a year later, but 4 -6 months is still a long time to wait for help with necessary expenses in fixing up your old/new home.

avatar richard

I recieved a certified letter today but was not home to sign for it do they usually send the check by cerified mail? The first time I got a uncertified letter saying I was ineligible then I went to a CPA about six weeks ago and he fixed my amended return he sent that in around 10 April 2010.

avatar Frustrated Ashley

Everyone that I have talked to that got the check says that it just shows up in your mailbox in a plain white envelope.

avatar Jenny

Just received a notice (filed in February) that the IRS wants to verify that our property is our primary residence. They are asking for bank statements, moving receipts, postal confirmations, etc..that show our address. I think there has been a lot of fraud regarding the tax credit and people filing for it that do not qualify. Maybe that is the reason some of us have been waiting for so long.

avatar Jackie

Well – just like most people, I too am waiting for my check. I called last week (05/27/10) and spoke to a representative and she verified that my information was received on 04/12/10 and all processed on 05/12/10. One month, all clear, nothing else needed. Sweet, right? Hell to the no! I have to call back on June 11, 2010 to figure out when they will mail it to me. What? Really? You process a return in record time (in my opinion) and you sit on it for a month or more. Geez, give me a break. So, I am bracing myself for the call on 6/11/10 and expect them to tell me that I should be good to go by Christmas.

avatar Tasha

After reading all of these I wanted to share my story. My fiance and I bought our home October 2009. I mailed our return on Feb 1. After a few weeks I saw in WMR we should receive our refund on April 20. A week before that date I received a letter to send more information. I faxed it the next day. On April 21 WMR started showing an error and extention to call. When I did that the man said they did not see anyting yet. When I called 2 weeks later the lady said she saw something but didn’t know what it was. She was very rude! She yelled at me for calling!!! She did say I should receive something in 2-4 weeks. After four weeks I called again. This lady told me she she was going to send a referral. She put me on hold for 10 minutes while she did this and when she came back she said it could take up 30 days to process. Of couse that is business days. If I do receive then it will be July 2! That is 6 months and 1 day from when I mailed it. Now WMR says they can’t find my refund and tells me to call another number. My fiance and I were hoping to use this money for our October wedding now we are borrowing money to pay for it and have to pay everyone back when we do get. I am not holding my breath that I will receive before December!

avatar scbuyer

I just wanted to say that after reading some of the stories on this web site I was a little scared. I brought my house in april 2010 . I sent my paper work in the same day. After visting this site I realized that I had to send in my hud statement . Well needless to say I mailed another copy right away. I call several times checking and had the same waited a few more weeks. I check every thursday since the fourth week. Well when I check on yesterday they said mine was being released today and I should be recieving it within two weeks. Whew so for those of us that brought our house in 2010 it not quite the wait.

avatar ldmszm

Where did you mail your return to (City)?

avatar scbuyer

i mailed mine to atlanta because i live in SC

avatar Nic

When did you mail yours in…We mailed ours the end of april and they are still saying it is not yet processed, as of Tuesday. They get crappy and say to wait 12 weeks at least, and to stop calling, there is no need to call until the 12 week point! Well our post office returned our mail in mid april because of shortage of postage, took it to the post office and put same postage on that was on it, and it was fine! Just trying to find a glimpse of hope…that they at least got it…i live in PA, can’t remember where i was supposed to send mine but wherever it was, that’s who i sent it to.

avatar scbuyer

I live in SC as I stated before I mailed mine to the Atlanta office. I called the number that was listed on this web site and kept getting the run around. So I called the 1-800-829-1040 line and thats when she told me that it was pending. When I asked what did that mean she to told me it was approved and to be release on 6/11/10. Its been a liitle shy of 8 weeks for me. So maybe it depends on the state you live in.

avatar Nic

Was your check released on 6/11 as stated? If so, how long did you wait to get it in the mail after 6/11?

avatar julie

I filed my amended first time home buyer return at end of Feb. I called after 12 weeks and was told by IRS my return was received and being processed with no issues and allow few more weeks. I called today and very rude and disrespectful Irs lady tells me my return has been chosen for audit. When i ask why audit on home buyer return she replies she is IRS and doesnt have to give me reason. So then she says i will receive papers n 21 days to fill out and return. so in all it will b 4 months or longer before receiving my return. Why wait 3 months of holding my claim then decide when 16 weeks are up lets do audit? My tax representative says there is some fraud going on and more audits could come about. They have assured me they would take care of but still another 4-6 weeks of waiting..not happy!

avatar Lailoni

Hello All, anyone been through “exams” yet? I called today to check on the status of my FTHC and the rep that I spoke with says that it is in “exams” and it could take up to 6 weeks for them to review it. I asked what happens after “exams” and she stated that if they dont find any problems then it will be released. She also stated that their system is updated over the weekends so give it at least a week or so before I call back. Still waiting…filed back in February…….

avatar Lailoni

Anyone been through exams yet? The rep that I spoke with today stated that my return was in “exams” and could take up to 6 weeks for them to reveiw. She stated that if all goes well after that time then it will be released. She stated that their system is updated over the weekends so wait at least a week or so before you call back.

avatar Alicia

Filed first week in April. Checked Where’s My Refund on IRS site. It states if they don not need any further info check coming on June 8. Approx. a week b/f June 8 we got a letter stating that more documentation was needed and to send at least 2 from a list of items including copy of drivers license, copy of last 2 pay stubs with address, etc. basically need to verify that we actually live at our newly purchased home. When I called the number to check with the person whose number was assigned to us, we were told several other items to include which the letter had not. She asked whether this was the first letter we had received implying that once we had sent in the requested info that they would have been another letter asking for even more. I overnighted USPS $18+ all the paperwork from the letter, plus the additional stuff she told us to include and also to put hubby’s SS number on each piece. The letter said we had 30 days to respond. We sent it right away. I am tempted to call, the WMR says it has been received and is being processed. I’ll want another week or so and call. I sure hope they don’t need anything else because it takes a long time for them to request them and additional time for them to go through it yet again. At least I am hearing from them and it has not been that long so far.

avatar Alicia

Filed first week in April. Checked Where's My Refund on IRS site. It states if they don not need any further info check coming on June 8. Approx. a week b/f June 8 we got a letter stating that more documentation was needed and to send at least 2 from a list of items including copy of drivers license, copy of last 2 pay stubs with address, etc. basically need to verify that we actually live at our newly purchased home. When I called the number to check with the person whose number was assigned to us, we were told several other items to include which the letter had not. She asked whether this was the first letter we had received implying that once we had sent in the requested info that they would have been another letter asking for even more. I overnighted USPS $18+ all the paperwork from the letter, plus the additional stuff she told us to include and also to put hubby's SS number on each piece. The letter said we had 30 days to respond. We sent it right away. I am tempted to call, the WMR says it has been received and is being processed. I'll want another week or so and call. I sure hope they don't need anything else because it takes a long time for them to request them and additional time for them to go through it yet again. At least I am hearing from them and it has not been that long so far.

avatar Rolfe

I received my credit yesterday. : )

I initially mailed off my paperwork in February 2010. I think the process would have been a lot easier if they spoke in laymen’s terms … and just told us what forms they wanted. I ended up having to send extra information to the IRS twice. When it was all said and done … I sent in my amended return, a copy of my schedule M form, Form 5405 and a copy of my settlement statement.

I hope this is helpful!

avatar Lailoni

Rolfe, the magic question that a lot of us want to be clear on is do they send out paper checks for the refund or was yours direct deposited?

avatar kt

I have written before, but just need to vent again. We bought our house April 2009 and sent in the forms within 2 weeks. We are STILL waiting- over a year later!

If you haven’t sent in your forms yet make sure you send in EVERYTHING (If you have children, maybe if you give them one of them it will speed up the process). We sent in everything they mentioned, sent in more and are still waiting.

avatar Phil

Same here… Filed for 2009 credit in January and STILL nothing… Very frustrating…

avatar GP

WOW!! Just reading everybody’s story today and it makes me nervous…..I closed on my home 5/10/10 my attorney at closing advised me of what to send irs for FTHBC which was 1040x, 5405 and hud. On 5/13/10 I mailed the 3 overnight usps. to the fresno loc. I waited about 2 wks and called the 800# x462 and rep did not show my return recieved. I got nervous and mentioned how I sent my return overnight and rep said never send them overnight becuz that does not speed up the process. So of course I am even more nervous knowing I sent overnight and it has not shown up. Well ater the first call I just started calling like crazy every other day and still saying we have not received yet. I checked on usps and saw that they signed for it on 5/14/2010 so I was alittle better knowing that at least signed for it. So I chilled out from calling and waited 2 more weeks 6/9/2010 rep had me on hold longer than the other reps so I was thinking what is going on finally rep returned and said your refund will be issued shortly. I said WHAT yes rep said it is in it’s final stages pending adjustment means final stages, no issues just waiting for a release date. WOW. No other rep was able to even see it being received but this rep was able to give me info and it’s in final stages. GREAT!! So he said give another 3 weeks. My old address was still showing current in there system and I was wondering when that was going to be updated so I called back and rep told me that tax credit and my new address was pending. I called on 6/22/2010 to check status and my new address was now showing current but my adjustment was still pending. Today after reading all the stories I decided to call the advocate hotline and rep said another week delay because of the address update. So now I should wait another 2-3 weeks before check is mailed out. So hopefully my check will mail out the 9th or 16th. I will keep everyone posted like everybody else I have a couple projects too do and plus my first mortgage payment is due July so that would be perfect timing.Keep the faith everyone and if anybody has a similar story as mine far as the new address being updated and how long after that was checked mailed please share as I am still leary. IRS is not dependable. Thanks! Congrats to all the first time homebuyers………..

avatar Greg

Mailed my 1040x on March 8th 2010, it took 14 weeks to show in the system, they have the receive date as April 27th they told me 12 to 16 weeks from this date even though I have waited 16 weeks. For the forsake of all the people effected by the BP oil spill in the gulf, I hope to god the goverment manages the gulf oil money from BP better than they handle this.

avatar Jenny

Filed in January, every time they ask for something, its another 30 days before I can even check the status! Its so rediculous. I will be happy if I get it by Christmas.

avatar Amanda

Mailed our amended 2009 return with HUD settlement statement April 30th 2010 certified mail. Today June 26th received letters to both my husband and I stating that our account had been updated and we will be receiving the 8000.00 FTHBC. Will post again when I get the money! Oh, and we used the Fresno, CA irs office.

avatar GP

Hi Amanda just curior what date did the IRS recieve your return and what day will your check mail out?

avatar GP

one more question on your original 09 taxes was the address the same or different from your amended return?

avatar Amanda

IRS received our amended 2009 return May 5th. The address on our original return was base housing rental before we purchased our house. I had to put our NEW address on the amended return and state it was a New address. The letter I received does not state when we will receive the 8000 check.. I hope with in the next two weeks. Will post as soon as I get it.

avatar Amanda

Update! I checked my bank account this morning and had the 8000. credit automatically deposited yesterday guess it was pending Friday. Our original return was direct deposit and on the amended form I kept the same bank information……SO It obviously can be direct deposit… but I would assume you would receive a letter of update/approval at the same time. I am glad ours came so quickly and I had no errors to cause delay on the forms. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting… I hope you receive it very soon!

avatar Amanda

Oh, and received 47.00 interest!

avatar LDMSZM

There was no place to put the bank information on 1040x amended form…

avatar Amanda

I am assuming because My original return was direct deposit the IRS used the same bank information on file and Direct deposited the credit. I am glad, probably got it faster that way!

avatar Angela

I received mine also on Friday by direct deposit. I put in for it April 20th to the Fresno, CA office, submitted my HUD and copy of my drivers license with it. Took all together about 9 weeks. I also, began calling every few days after the 6th week just so I could catch any problems asap. I’m wondering if they are getting faster now that the extension is over.

avatar Nic

I called this morning and they said July 9th for a release date :) but they stated it could take 7-10 days after that…can anyone clue me in on about how long after the release date you received your check in the mail?

avatar angela

My parent’s $8,000 was direct deposited on Friday 6/25…it only took 10 weeks out of the Fresno, CA IRS office. It all depends if you put direct deposit with you bank info on the amended return. When I received mine back in November 09′ I waited nearly 3 mos and it was a paper check mailed to me.

avatar Nic

There was no place to put bank info and either the 1040x or 5405!

avatar Jen

Well, I first posted on Jan 18th and at that time was already waiting for 28 weeks. Well guess what, it is now June 29th and I am still waiting. I have had to send in more things than I would have ever though possible. I cna’t believe I haven’t had to send in a child at this point. I keep calling and they say that they haven’t had time to review it yet. It has been sitting on the examiners desk for 3 months now with the latest paperwork. The tax advisors I have talked to say they can’t help me here. I am getting so frustrated and don’t know what to do about it.

avatar ldmszm

Which IRS office did you send your paperwork to?

avatar shane

I thought I should post my results for others to read. I am a first time homebuyer, closed on March 9, 2010. Sent my ammended 2009 return May 5, 2010. Only sent the required documents, no copy of drivers license, no mortgage statement, just the 1040X, 5405, and HUD statement. After reading comments on here I figured I was in for the long haul, and would need to send additional documentation. I live in Missouri and sent the ammended return to the Kansas City office, (correct office for my area). Called the IRS (1800 829-0582 extension 462) yesterday (6/28/2010) as mentioned in previous posts, asked if the package was recieved in the system, gave required verification information and was told my tax credit was approved and should be mailed out the 7/9/2010, which would be 9 weeks from the date I mailed the ammendment. Said if I didn’t receive within 2 weeks from then, to call back.

So as long as they send the tax credit when they are scheduled to, I receive it at 2 weeks from then, my total wait time from mailing would be 11 weeks.

I hope everyone that is having troubles gets them figured out, and good luck to all the homebuyers. But my situation is at least something to compare to on the faster end of things, at least I think so.

avatar GP

UPDATE: Called IRS on 6/28 was told my check will be mailed on 7/9 8k plus $66 in interest. Was told it could take 7-10 days for mailing. Total wait was 9wks (fresno loc) without adding mailing time. Would have been 8wks but the address change delayed it by one week. Will post once check comes.

avatar Jameo Smith

hello, I am responding to the statement that you can’t go on the website to get your refund status. What number do you call.

avatar GP

800-829-0582 ext. 462

avatar Mshock

I’ve read through just about all these comments, and it looks like I have filed the most recent amendment…I closed on 6/25 and on 6/30 I sent my 1040x, 5405, HUD-1, and copy of the purchase contract (to prove that we had a radification date before May 1st). Lot of horror stories here, and I sympathize with everyone who’s had a bad experience, but I’m hoping my process will go a little smoother since I’m among the last trickle of new claims.

avatar Dethklok

I submitted mine the end of November. I got a letter stating I will receive a response by second week of July. I understood that I was going to have to wait, and from what I’ve read, it looks like I’ve gotten it the worst so far. I better get some good interest!

avatar Jenny

If you are “under review”, good luck. Every time the IRS asks for something else, expect to wait at least another 90 days for them to look at it. We filed in January. I called today and the IRS said not to call again for at least another 45 days from today. (After August 24th). The woman was rude. My guess is it probably doesn’t do any good to keep on calling, its a waste of time. Sorry to sound so negative about the whole thing. Its turning me into a basket case. For those who have been waiting since last year!! OMG. Soooo frustrating.

avatar Kaety Thomas

Jenny, I am going through the “under review” bull. I think it is such a waste of time. Although when I called they didn’t tell me not to call back but they did tell me that they hadn’t reviewed it yet and it could be another month for them to look at it. I was supposed to have an answer the first of this month but of course I don’t. I just want to know what we can do about all this, we must have some rights for this tax.

avatar Nic

Any July 9th release daters receive their credit by Direct Deposit that had their original return direct deposited?? No where on the 1040x or 5405 form does it allow you to enter that info, but some are saying that’s how they received their credit. Thanks :)

avatar Cerulian

I’m a July 9th-er and I didn’t receive mine’s by direct deposit. However, what I noticed with everyone that said they received their amendments with the FTHBTC via direct deposit were all from the Fresno, CA office.

avatar Nic

I did see it usually deposited the saturday after the friday release date so i.ll keep others updated if it does indeed come direct deposit, however i had to use the kansas city, mo office.

avatar Cerulian

I had to use the Atlanta, GA office.

avatar ldmszm

When did you mail yours in?

avatar Nic

Mailed mine at the end of april, it got returned by the post office for postage the last day or so of april, so they probably didn’t actually receive ours until the beginning of may, but were still told july 9th

avatar Mshock

I have back tax debt so I’m hoping the IRS will be motivated to process mine quicker since they can withhold a portion of it to pay off the debt. The federal government doesn’t think opportunistically (or logically for that matter) like private enterprise so I’m probably getting my hopes up. It would be a real relief to free up that $500 installment I’m having to pay them every month.

avatar Betty Acevedo

I’m totally frustrated with the whole process. I filed my taxes included necessary forms for first time home buyer credit 3/1/10. They sent me a letter indicating I needed proof of address (a minimum of 3 proofs!). They received everything they requested 4/23/10. It’s 7/9/10 and nothing yet. I’ve called on 4 occassions and response was that they are behind. The last letter I received indicated I would get a response by 7/7/10. Nothing yet…..I bought a house relying on the credit to furnish my new home, as I wanted to start my life fresh after a divorce. I as a consumer feel I have no control over the process that is taking too long. The excuse is that they are behind. Oh! Get this…..they told me that people who were not eligible for first time home buyer credit applied and got it. Congress in turn told IRS to increase their scrutiny of paperwork to make certain people are in fact eligible. So in essence, the people who are trying to cheat the government actually created the back log.

avatar Cerulian

@ldmszm … I mailed mine’s on June 3rd, with a copy of my original return, a copy of the “new” return showing the FTHBTC, the 1040X form, form 5405, HUD-1 settlement statement (signed) and a copy of all the contract paperwork when my offer was accepted. I also called 2 weeks after mailing it to update my address with the IRS directly (of course, they hadn’t processed my amendment yet).

avatar Betty Acevedo

Well I called the same day of my original posting on this website. I was told that they finished reviewing my case and to call back mid to end of next week to see if I’m eligible and an approximate date I should be receiving the first home buyer credit (accoding to my calculations provided by IRS I’m eligible for a full credit…so I don’t know what they mean to check eligibiity status…as I’m a new home buyer and don’t owe money to IRS). Will let you know what information I receive.

I’m grateful to have stumbled upon this site. It eases my mind knowing I’m not the only one “in the same insane boat.”

avatar GP

UPDATE: I received my check today for 8066.00 along with a letter showing my adjustment. My check was mailed on friday 7/9 and the check is from the irs austin, tx my return was sent to the fresno, ca location. So it doesn’t matter where you mail it check will mail out of austin, tx or kansis city. It was a total of 9wks. Well I hope this info helps and good luck to everybody.

avatar Kris

I made a post on Saturday that we had bought a house 5/10/10 and sent the papers in on 5/21 snail mail with no response as of yet, so this is an update — I just called the number listed above w/ext 462 and was told that our check was mailed this past Friday.
Here are my facts:
Our 2009 return was filed in February, so this was an amended return.
We sent it regular mail
We went out of the Austin office
Our original return was elecronic and was direct deposit, however, they are mailing our check AND, there was no place on the amended form to ask for direct deposit. The lady told me that they don’t do direct deposit for amended returns. Hope this helps someone — so, that was 7 weeks from mail date.
Oh yeah, and…..I only sent in the HUD form, the amendment papers and the 5405x — nothing else required.

avatar Ryan S

Congrats on getting your return. I am happy for you, but I am pissed about my situation, My return was sent to Fresno. I closed on my house on April 30, 2010. Amended return was received on May 17th. No news yet. Its just processing. The rep said there were no issues with my amended return, but BOI do i need my money for updating of things in my house

avatar Cerulian

UPDATE: I also received my check today for $8,032.50 from the Austin, TX office. Mine’s was sent to the Atlanta, GA office. Originally mailed June 3rd, so total time was a little less then 6 wks. Hope this helps and don’t give up hope!

avatar Frustrated Ashley

Update: For the last 3 weeks we have been working with a tax advocate and she is amazing! It only took one week from working with her for the IRS to send us noitfication. Unfortunately we were just denied unless we can show proof that we did not live in a home that my husband owned within the last three years. So a word of advice, if you have owned a rental home, vacation property, etc in the last three years the IRS is going to make you send them some serious paperwork, so get it together now! They want all of our lease agreememts for the past 4 years, energy and or phone bills, W2′s (showing our address), and any other piece of paper showing our address for the past years. This takes time and they only give you 30 days, so if you are like me, and dont keep paperwork that long you will be in a rush.

avatar Kaety Thomas

I filed my tax return on 2/8/10. I got half of my return the next day and then we ammended the return for the homebuyer tax. It was sent out by mail on 2/12/10. I called them about a month after and they said they recieved the return on 2/22/10 and it would take 8-12 weeks. Finally on 5/24/10 I got paperwork stating they needed more paperwork. Mind you all the paperwork they needed was the exact paperwork that was sent in with the return in the first place! I went and copied the paperwork and sent it out on 5/28/10. I called the IRS on 6/22/10 to see if I could get some answers and they said they recieved it on 6/11/10 and it would be 30-45 days before I would know anything. That same day when I got the mail there was a letter from the IRS stating they recieved the new paperwork on 6/1/10 and I would know something within 30 days. Today 7/12/10 I called because it has been 30 days according to the letter, and they said it wasn’t even reviewed yet! They said to give it another month! I am so confused on where I should go from here because all I am getting is the run around, I know I have rights but what rights would I have in this case and how should I deal with it. I need my money and I want some interest on it for having to wait so long. Anything would be helpful! Thanks

avatar Lailoni

Hello All, I received a letter from the IRS on Friday stating that they have my information that I sent in on the 21st of June. I’m in what is called examinations. The letter says to wait 30 days before I call to give them enough time to review the paperwork. Other than that, I’m still waiting…..

avatar Cheryl

I bought my house on 12/07/2009. I had to wait until 01/15/2010 to file because I needed the revised 5405 form(if you bought after 11/07/2009 you had to use the new form). So, I filed on 01/16/2010. Had to mail it in because of sending HUD-1. IRS didn’t acknowledge they had received it until 03/15/2010. One week later it said my return would be direct deposited by 03/31/2010. Around 03/25/2010 they revised that to saying my return is being reviewed and they have no further information. Since that time I have been told many different things. Give it 30 days, give it 45 days, give it 1 week, give it another week. One person at the IRS told me that if I had to call back again without resolution that my case would be turned over to an advocate and it would have to be settled within 7 days. Well, on 06/14/2010 it was finally turned over to an advocate. I had to fax him my HUD-1, 5405, both which had already been sent with original return AND updated DL with new address, recent mtg. statement, recent bank statement and copies of all utilities showing the home I bought as my address. I faxed all of this to him the next day. Talked to him to be sure he got everything. Then he told me he would forward everything to the IRS and their expected return date is 08/23/2010. He is on vacation until 07/14/2010, he said not to call him back until 07/16/2010. The wording on the IRS website concerning my return changed slightly so I called them to see if anything had changed but since I am working with an advocate, they can’t discuss anything with me. I, like so many others plan to use this money on my house. Now I’m just hoping I get it before it gets too cold to do outside work.

avatar Jim Thompson

I sugned a contract on the house April 26 and Closed on June 1. Mailed (USPS Priority 2nd day to Austin) my Amended Tax Return, 1040X, 5405, Hud1, copy of signed Contract, Driver Lic with new address and Auto registration with new address on June 14. I almost did this on my own but was not clean on how to complete the forms, so I paid HR BLOCK. So glad I did because they had an updated reqirement sheets. Well, its been 4 weeks and have not had a peep. Have not called the number and have decided I will not until 7 or 8 weeks have passed. Hoping I will have a surprise one day in the mail box in a few more weeks. These stories on here scare me. Anyone else do all the things I have and sent to Austin around the same time? If so post back if you have heard anything.

avatar DH

I filed my 2009 return 12 weeks ago, including request for home buyers credit, to Kansas City office. I phoned IRS today and was told that my return was “in process” (feel like Kafka’s Joseph K?), and that the office predicts a 12 to 16 week period before completing “the process.” Call in August 19 if I haven’t heard anything by then. They’re swamped, and are not helped by buyers credit returns having to be on paper and not electronic..
DHeld

avatar KSY

Hi Everyone,
I am fed up with this CRAP! I sent my amendment the first week of March 2010. I waited 8 weeks to call the IRS because of their guidelines and they told me to check back in a couple of weeks. That’s fine I told myself give them a couple of weeks. One month has passed now we’re in 12 weeks; the person told me they have not seen the paperwork but that doesn’t mean that it’s not there and maybe the person that is looking into it did not post it or something and again call back in a couple of weeks and if I’m missing something I will get a letter in the mail stating it but I haven’t gotten anything in the mail. On July 6 2010, I called again which is the 16th week and the representative told me that my paperwork is not there and that I have to re-send my paperwork and I asked her how long would it take, you know what she told me “ABOUT THE SAME TIME 8-12 WEEKS”. I called again the next day and explain my situation that I had already sent in my Amended Tax return on March 5th 2010 and he said the same thing as the other lady we don’t have it. I said to him if you don’t have it how come when I called you the first time you people didn’t tell me then. He told me to re-send the original forms and I told him how can I send you the original when I already mailed it back in March. He was like well we don’t know if you really sent it in. The way he said it sounds like I was lying to him. So I checked online to see who can help I got a hold of an advocate she brush me off. She said well if they said they didn’t get it then they didn’t get it and for me to re-send the forms. I don’t mind re-sending it; it’s the simple fact that they should have told me this the first time I called. Does anyone know what I need to re-send?…I have copies of the 1040X, 5405, warranty of deed and insurance declaration. Ain’t nothing but a scam run by the U.S. Government misleading us by offering something good and then screwing us over and there’s nothing we can do about it. The advocates aren’t there to help us they are the to stall us.

avatar Jim T

KSY,
You can go here and see the Revised Sept 2009 Form 886-H-FTHBC
i thas all the requirements. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f886hfth.pdf

You need the following:
Current Tax form or Form 1040X if Amending,
Form 5405,
Hud-1 Settlement Statement,
A Copy of the Montly Mortage Statement, If Cash, copy of cancelled check,
if new construction – copy of occupancy permit,
AND AT LEAST TWO of the following:
A copy of your Driver License with Name and new address
A copy of your Auto registration with Name and new address
A Copy of your Bank Statement with Name and new address
A Copy of recent pay stub with Name and new address

Hope this helps.

Jim T

avatar Mshock

Jim T,

Are you serious? The instructions for the 5405 only mention the HUD-1, 5405, 1040x, and a copy of the purchase contract (and they say the purchase contract is only necessary if proof is needed that you had a ratified contract before May 1st). I’ve also seen several posts from people on here who received their refund in a reasonable timeframe and only submitted what I mentioned above. I understand that more items might be required if someone is selected for an audit, but I hope you don’t mean that anyone who sends a package that doesn’t contain all of the items on your list will be delayed. If that’s the case then a lot of people will be furious for not having this information spelled out in the 5405.

avatar Jim T

Mshock, Yes. All this is due to the extreme fraud that went on before Sept 2009 when people were allowed to file electronically for the Credit. I believe those that are having so mush delay are the ones who are being pulled for audits and did not provide all the required documentation for proof of a REAL Purchase of a home. Its always the Bad people that make it difficult for the honest people. I even sent a copy of my contract with dates and signatures. HR Block may have charged me $97 but I believe in the long run it will pay off. I had an older, unrevised copy of the Form 886-H-FTHBC. I would never have sent half the stuff in with my 1040X and 5404 that I finally decided to send. I will post that link again.

Revised Sept 2009 Form 886-H-FTHBC… http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f886hfth.pdf

Wishing us All the best of Luck!

avatar Cheryl

Jim, according the instructions for the revised Form 5405 the information you need to include is:

Completed revised Form 5405

Copy of HUD-1 closing statement with all signatures

If new construction, copy of occupancy permit

If contract for Deed, you need to send completed contract

Where the supporting documents come into play is if your return is pulled for review. Now, granted if you’ve already sent in more than they’ve asked for and yours get pulled, you may or may not have to resubmit the documentation. I had one lady at the IRS tell me that any returns that are pulled for review require additional information because the additional information you mail in with your return is NOT stored with your return. She actually said they are in a warehouse somewhere. So much for security of all our private information.

Anyway, I am one of those who have been waiting the longest. I filed ALL required documentation on 01/16/2010. I just got off the phone with my advocate. He’s telling me that the IRS is just too far behind. My estimated return date is still 8/23/2010, but that is subject to change this coming week. He will get updated on his cases on 7/20/2010 so he will be able to tell me more then. He could tell me that my case has been assigned to someone, so that is progress of some sort.

avatar Jen

I feel ya. I’ve been waiting since July of LAST year. I was told to wait until next month to call back again. I have been stuck in review since December and they always told me they needed something else. I realize that they are slow but this is rediculous. How much proof do you need to realize that I live here and that I own this house and that I didn’t own one in the last 3 years? It isn’t that dificult. They just seem to make it that way.

avatar Jim T

Cheryl,

If you did not included AT LEAST TWO of the following:
A copy of your Driver License with Name and new address
A copy of your Auto registration with Name and new address
A Copy of your Bank Statement with Name and new address
A Copy of recent pay stub with Name and new address
Then you did not have a copy of the Sept 2009 revised Form 886-H-FTHBC.

avatar Cheryl

Jim – Not to split hairs but these are the instructions on the REVISED 5405 form:

What To Attach to Your Return
If you claim the credit on your 2009 (or later) original or amended tax return, you must attach the following documentation regarding your main home (as applicable). If you do not attach the documentation, the credit may not be allowed.

Attach a copy a of your settlement statement showing all parties’ names and signatures, the property address, the contract sales price, and the date of purchase. In most cases, your settlement statement is your properly executed Form HUD-1, Settlement Statement. In locations where the signatures of the buyer and seller are not required, the IRS encourages the buyer to sign the settlement statement before attaching it to the tax return—even if the settlement statement does not include a signature line.

If you are unable to obtain a settlement statement because you purchased a mobile home, attach a copy of your executed retail sales contract showing all parties’ names and signatures, the property address, the purchase price, and the date of purchase.

If you are claiming the credit for a newly constructed home and you do not have an executed settlement statement, attach a copy of your certificate of occupancy showing your name, the property address, and the date of the certificate.

Additional documentation. You should also attach the following documentation, if applicable, to avoid delays in the processing of your return and the issuance of any refund.
If you checked the “Yes” box on line C, attach a copy of the pages from a signed contract to make a purchase showing all parties’ names and signatures, the property address, the purchase price, and the date of the contract.

If you are claiming the credit as a long-time resident of the same main home, attach copies of one of the following: Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement (or substitute statement), property tax records, or homeowner’s insurance records. These records should be for 5 consecutive years of the 8-year period ending on the purchase date of the new main home.

That’s it. Like I said, including the extra documentation can only be helpful but there is nowhere in the instructions for that form that asks that they be included.
The form you are referencing is the form the IRS refers to when they ask for additional documentation, no where is it mentioned on the 5405 form or the instructions.

avatar Jim T

Cheryl,
Oh your ARE spliting hair alright. And if you want to waste your time and more money waiting and waiting and waiting, then by ALL MEANS ignore the Form 886-H-FTHBC. The copy of this form I originally had was given to me at closing. I then went to H&R Block and they TOLD me the 5405 could not be filed without the supporting documents shown on the REVISED SEPT 2009 Form 886-H-FTHBC because of all the FRAUD before SEPT 2009. And that if I did not, it would be REJECTED.

So by all means Ignore the Form 886-H-FTHBC.

Later.

avatar Cheryl

Jen – I just went back and read your previous post. What are they asking you for now, that they didn’t ask for in the original request?

Have you called your Congressman? I’m giving mine until the 8/23/10 date but if I am still getting that it’s been assigned to someone at that time, I am calling my Congressman.

I asked my advocate today if they don’t do these in some kind of chronological order and he said yes they do, but it’s when the file lands on his desk, not our original filing date.

avatar Jenny

Just curious: Anybody on here been “under review” and received their refund yet? “Under review” meaning, they asked for additional documents for proof of primary residency..(ie.. auto registration, paystubs, bank statements, moving contract.). It seems to me that once you are in the land of “review” you never come out. Many from 2009.

avatar Betty Acevedo

Yes Jenny, I’ve been in the”land of review” since 4/23/10 when they received additional requested documents. I had to submit paperwork proving that I live in the house I purchased, such as copies of drivers license and registrtion, paystub with my new address, bank statement with new address. I also added a copy of my car insurance card with my new address. Still waiting, although I have called five times since then. It’s really frustrating. I bought a house with the thought that I would receive 8000.00 to ease the financial burden of owning a house for the first time (realizing that unexpected house expenditures may incur). Instead, frustration and disappointment in our govenment increased.

avatar Jane

I sent mine in 2/15/10, Got letter sent back saying they needed more information. They said they got all doc’s on 4/6/10 so that is my start time on this LOOOONNNG process. After MANY calls to IRS. I was told I was selected to be reviewed. I called two weeks later to check on this review and they said one it was approved. I do know they update all info at the end of the week so Friday I suggest calling on a Tuesda, I am in Arizona. Longest hold time for me was 10-15 min. A week later I called and my check would be cut 7/16/10. I did get direct depo. for my 2009 taxes. Checked my account this am and not deposit. I am going to assume I will get it via mail. Do any of you know at th is point how long it took to geyt your check. I know they say 7-10 days.but…just wonder if anyone got it sooner.

avatar Cheryl

Betty – Have they assigned you an advocate? I’m asking because at least then you only deal with one person, not whoever answers the phone at IRS. Also, he was able to give me an estimated return date. It is subject to change but at least it’s something.

I think my case went under formal review about the same time as yours, but I didn’t get asked for further information until I was assigned an advocate which was around the middle of June.

avatar Betty Acevedo

Cheryl, No, I haven’t been assigned an advocate yet. I called today 7/20 and was told that as of 7/3 my case went under review again and they have 45 days. That takes it to 8/17. It’s such a frustrating process that I’m just going to wait until 8/17 to make another move. If I’m not satisfied then I’ll insist on an advocate. I was told that things got backed up due to past fraud. It’s a shame that it takes some dishonest people to mess things up for the majority honest ones out there.

Thanks for your response to my comment and good luck with your case. Hope your estimated return date doesn’t change.

avatar Amanda

I received my rebate June 27th…direct deposit. Sent forms to Fresno office. I feel for all of you who are stuck in limbo waiting for your rebate… I used mine to pay off credit card debt, we all have somewhere that money can be put to use. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for all of you stuck in the waiting game.

avatar Zane

My wife and I ammended our 2008 return in Nov 09 for our credit. Wwe have been stuck in review land since then. only getting letters that state we are sorry but we havent been able to review yet giving ourselfs xxx number of days. I am sure some of you have got these same letters. well today after almost 9 months we got a letter stating they are allowing our amendment and we should have our check in another 6-8 weeks.. I guess we will see how that goes. but at least its something different than the “we havent even looked at your paperwork yet” letter. It just makes me mad because they can take their sweet time but if we owed them money, they would be garnishing wages, stealing from my savings or any other means they want to use to get their money.

avatar Shawna

Hello,
On Oct. 19, 2009 we bought our first home ( owner financed).I electronicall filed our regular tax return and got it about 10 days later (direct deposit). On Feb 24, 2010 I mailed the amemded retrun with the contract for purchase and a copy of all the paperwork the seller gave us along with the form 5405. We have not received the first letter or anything from the IRS to date. We have a tax advocate and he only talks to us once a month, which is frustrating within itself. About 45 days ago we received a call from him stating that the IRS has denied our claim due to they found documents of a mortgage with our names on it. We told him that that was a TIMESHARE that we had bought into a few years ago. I faxed him the documents that clearly showed it was a TIMESHARE. He called back the next day to say that the IRS was being “silly” because they should have been able to see that. He made his monthly call last week to say ” there is NOTHING to report” . There has been “NO CHANGE” in the progress of our claim. He did say that the IRS agreed that it was a TIMESHARE and so they are continuing to review our case. My husband calls the IRS about every other week but they just keep telling him that they have NOTHING TO REPORT. I get on the IRS website and it tells me “they have nothing “. My husband has been unemployed since Dec. so we could REALLY use this money. After reading all the posts prior to mine, I can see we are not in this alone but …..MAN!!!
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me, PLEASE REPLY to this post. Thank You!!

avatar William

I have been waiting 17 .5 weeks with no contact what so ever from the IRS. I have called twice with no help in site.

avatar Cheryl

The advocate called this morning. He said the IRS is now asking for an extension until 8/02/10. Considering they gave me a date of 8/23/10 when I first spoke to the advocate I’m not sure just how that’s an extension, but whatever. LOL Advocate will be in Pittsburgh for training until 8/10/10, so if the refund doesn’t happen before then he will call me when he gets back to his office. He said then if it hasn’t happened my case gets bumped up to his supervisor who can require them to work on mine immediately. So we’ll see how this goes.

avatar Rose

If you filed for the First Time Home Buyer Credit with your original taxes, and requested direct deposit, it will be direct deposited.
If you amended your prior year taxes to get the first time home buyer tax credit, you will get a check mailed to you. (dont understand why they cant just Direct Deposit it, helloooo its year 2010!)

I bought a house and sent in my amended papers on May 28, 2010.
On 7/6/10 IRS said they could finally see my papers in their system and they’ve been approved and i had to wait up to 2 weeks for a check date to be assigned (date check is sent).
On 7/19/10 IRS told me the check woud be sent out on 7/30/10, with $83 interest.
So by the time i actually get the check, it will be about 10 weeks.

avatar Sarah

Hello everybody. I’ve been reading all these posts for a couple of months now but haven’t posted anything. Let me know if anbody has had this happen and if so, if you’ve been successful yet… here’s my story:
11/17/09 – closed on my 1st home
01/21/10 – dropped tax return off at post office
03/10 – was givin a date of 04/06/10 for return to be direct deposited into my acct
04/09/10 – status on website changed and rec’d a letter in the mail missing hud-1
(had already mailed that in attached to my return but refaxed anyhow)
04/09/10 – faxed hud-1 in on the same day letter was rec’d.
4/16-10 – called irs and was told they rec’d “correspondance via fax” on 4/9/10 but couldn’t tell me what was rec’d but to give it 6-8 weeks to process.
Called back a few times in the mean time but was told to wait out the full 8 weeks before calling back.
June 4th would have been the full 8 weeks. Well end of May the status on the website changed and said “the amount of your tax return has been changed. $$$ will be deposited into your account on May 28th and you will receive a letter explaining the changes made”
So… on May 28th the portion non related to the First Time Homebuyers Credit was deposited into my account.
So on June 7th I rec’d the letter that stated I was denied the credit because they never rec’d my Hud-1!!!!!!!! AHHHH seriously? YES YOU DID!! more than once!!
Anyways on June 22nd I mailed in the letter they sent me, with a letter stating why I don’t agree(which is what it said to do) and then yet another copy of my Hud-1, a copy of my DL with new address, copy of my vehicle registration with new address, copy of check stub with new address, copy of bank statement with new address, copy of mortgage statement with new address, copy of my water bill with new address on it…
07/09/10 – called IRS and they stated they rec’d “correspondance” from me on July 2nd and that it is “processing” and that they won’t have any information for me for 30 days. SOOO.. now I’m waiting until August 5th.. and trying to be as patient as possible.
Anybody have anything like this happen to them? and if so what has been your outcome thus far?
I mailed my correspondance to Atlanta Georgia office. I’m from Iowa but was told this was the location to send it to.
Any replies would be welcome and helpful. Thanks

avatar Julie Replogle

Send it in on May 26th 2010,they recieved it May 28.2010. As of July 10th 2010 it is under review.