Receiving the First Time Homebuyer Credit

Although receiving the first-time homebuyer tax credit initially took six weeks to receive, many customers have had problems receiving their credit from the IRS. As evidenced by the six hundred comments below, many have not been thrilled with the process, even those who filed the paperwork correctly and legitimately should receive the credit.

For those of you who have filed or are planning to file an amended income tax return (form 1040X) to receive the (up to) $8,000 first time homebuyer tax credit this year rather than waiting for next year, there is some good news.

Although the IRS is more than likely overwhelmed, the refunds initially took six to eight weeks to receive. Here is an early comment from a Consumerism Commentary reader:

Just wanted to let you know that I received my $8,000 (plus interest) from my 1040X by mail yesterday. I mailed my amended return around June 25, so I feel the turnaround was very acceptable. Even though our original refund came by direct deposit, this one came by check; I don’t know why.

There are a few interesting notes to take away from Kimberly’s experience.

The IRS is providing interest payments as if they owed money to the taxpayer since April 15. This is the normal case when the IRS underpays a refund. It’s good to see they are providing interest in the same manner here even though the law was not created until after many people had filed their 2008 tax returns.

Six weeks is a reasonable time frame to expect your credit. Many people I’ve spoken with expected the credits to take much longer, prompting some to suggest waiting until the 2009 income tax return is due. I see no reason to wait that long. Plus, it’s unlikely you’ll receive interest if you wait until April 2010.

Keep in mind that if your paperwork requires manual intervention, like an address change, or if the information you provide does not match what the IRS has on file, your credit could take longer to receive.

The refunds are sent by paper check. I warned of this in earlier articles. Even though you may have designated a bank account for direct deposit when you filed your original tax return, the IRS is sending the refunds through the U.S. Postal Service as if we were still living in the twentieth century.

Have you received your first-time homebuyer tax credit yet? How long did it take?

Updated July 31, 2011 and originally published August 7, 2009. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.

avatar Peggy Anderson

This is absolutely unacceptable. My step-son bought a house in October 2009. He sent his return in for the $8000 credit February 2010. All the paper work was right. The IRS did say they have it, and he’s in the system. It is now July 22, 2010, and after lots of phone calls he’s still waiting for his check. I’ll guarantee if he owed the IRS they’d be attaching his paycheck and bank account by now. This fiasco is a prime example of your tax dollars and government at work.

avatar amy

I sent mine in Sept 2009. It went into review twice, and I called a bunch of times, and followed up every letter that said it’s still under review and give them 30 more days. I just got a letter on Friday that my check will arrive in 6 to 8 weeks, I’m hoping it will be sooner than the 6 to 8. So I feel for you guys, it will be close to under a year to finally get the check. I’ll let you know when I get mine.

avatar Jen

Congrats! I got the same letter today after being in review 3 times since last July. Here’s to finally getting our checks and please let one year of interest be worth it!

avatar Cheryl

My advocate called today. He said the IRS has decided that they will ‘allow’ my refund for the 1st time homebuyers credit. I love their wording! LOL Anyway, he has no date yet, probably within 2 weeks. I’ll report back when I get the money.

avatar ann

I am going on 5 months! I was under “review” in May. Sent paperwork that had my physical address on it. Have anyone had problems if they had a po box? I am running into that problem. I am 1st time homebuyer, I have had my po box for 5 years.

avatar Sarah

Does anybody know if the “Where’s My Refund” status will update on the website even after they’ve disallowed the credit and then you prove that you ARE elligable?
…because I still check it and today it just now says that they have no information available. So it’s making me think that maybe somethings going to happen with mine??? :)
…wishful thinking I’m sure :(

avatar Rose

I have been reading so many horror stories on message boards like this one, about peoples troubles with the home buyers credit. Mine went kinda smoothly, but to help along the process i would suggest the following:
1. Be sure to included the correct paper work along with extra (1040X, 5040, HUD settlement statment and closing papers) To cut down the ‘research’ the IRS has to do, include a copy of your lisence with the new address or some utilitiy bills with your name and new address. What they need is proof of your new residence. If you had prior propertys, send in the documentation proving the duration and times you lived there so you dont get denied due to their bad informatoin. Make sure all the required informatoin is on the forms like the signatures of both parties, date of closing, price, etc. Sounds silly, but there are states that dont require signatures, and so people forget, but the IRS requires it.
2. Once you’ve mailed in the amended return, CALL THE IRS to confirm they have received it – 800.829.0582 ext 462. Because its an amended return, you can not use the Wheres my Refund website or automated number.
3. Once IRS has confirmed they received your return, validate the IRS has the correct change of address. You should validate this everytime you call the IRS, as everytime you call you’ll probably get a different answer.
4. Call every week to ensure there is no issues, even if they say its been processed. If there is an issue, the IRS most likely will not contact you.
5. You only need to call once a week, IRS updates their systems on the weekends, so if you call more than once within the same week, you will get the same answer.
6. Be nice! If you are nice, the IRS person will do thier best to help you. If you have an attitude, they could careless for your issues. Just think about it, they take calls all day long from angry people that demand their money, if you had to do that, you would be miserable too!
7. If there is an issue, be sure to ask what documents you need to send in to prove them wrong and make sure to get the fax number! As snail mail will take way to long and its always a possiblitiy it gets lost in the mail. Once you fax the papers, call to ensure they actually received them!
8. If you think you are going to wait til next year to file for the credit with your normal taxes, think again! Its better to start the process now! because it takes so long, and who knows what will happen next year!
9. Since the tax rush is coming to an end, the credits are getting processed much faster! People that filed after June seem to be getting their refunds back quick than people that filed in April/May.

I closed on my house May 28th and sent in the paperwork that day
IRS processed my paperwork on 7/6
On 7/19 IRS said the check will be sent out on 7/30

Good luck to everyone!

avatar Patty

I got my refund today. I sent it out certified on 6/18/10 and received my check today 7/26/10. I was not even expecting it to come before October. I just don’t understand why some of us are getting it so quickly and others are waiting months.

Good luck to everyone!

avatar Jim T

Patty,
That fits my timeline. I hope I get me back soon. If I get it in the next few days I will post back.
I too was beginning to think it would be Sept-Oct before I got mine. We shall see.
CONGRATS!

avatar Jim T

WELL WELL, Guess hat I found in my Mail Box tonight! Woo Whoo!

So I say to all of you, Download the Form 886-H-FTHBC.

Follow it to the Letter like I did.

I got my Signed agreement April 26th,
Closed on house June 1st,
Mailed my 1040x and tax return (prepared by H&R Block for $97) & all other required documents, on June 14th USPS Priority 2nd day
IRS in Texas received it June 16th
Received my check July 28th (Which was mailed to old Address and forwarded to new one)

Good Luck everyone and Hang in there
And Download this form …. Form 886-H-FTHBC. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f886hfth.pdf

Later

avatar KSY

Hi Patty,
I am getting ready to send my information in…can you tell me exactly what I need to submit because everybody is telling different…I went to the IRS office they gave me form 8886-h-fthbc to go by but when I called the 800# they told something different…I am amending my return and these are the paperwork I have my HUD-1, 5405, 1040X and copies of my pay stub. They also ask for automobile registration,drivers license and bank statement with current address which I don’t have. I ask the IRS agent they told me that my utility bill would be fine but I don’t know for sure….Please help
Thank you.
KSY

avatar Jim T

KSY,

Its all right here in this IRS form http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f886hfth.pdf
Download it and print it out….

You need the following:
Current Tax form or Form 1040X if Amending,
Form 5405,
Hud-1 Settlement Statement,
A Copy of the Montly Mortage Statement, If Cash, copy of cancelled check,
if new construction – copy of occupancy permit,
AND AT LEAST TWO of the following:
A copy of your Driver License with Name and new address
A copy of your Auto registration with Name and new address
A Copy of your Bank Statement with Name and new address
A Copy of recent pay stub with Name and new address

avatar KSY

Jim,
The only thing I have with my new address are my paystubs, mortage statement, utility bills, water bill and home insurance policy. Will it do? My license still shows the old address but I wrote the new address on the back of my license. I bought my house last June but never got around to changing the address. When I called the IRS on Monday he told me I would also need a copy of a binding contract. I have no clue what that is. Is it a purchase and sales agreement or warranty of deed?

avatar Jim T

KSY,

You need to click this link an download this form from the IRS

It has everything on it.

If you do not have AND AT LEAST TWO of the following:
A copy of your Driver License with Name and new address
A copy of your Auto registration with Name and new address
A Copy of your Bank Statement with Name and new address
A Copy of recent pay stub with Name and new address…

.. to go with all the other required documents, then I suggest to get them.

If they decide to audit your claim, it sets you back weeks everytime they have to contact you for more information.

avatar Jim T

KSY

The Binding Contract is the contract you and the Seller SIGNED (both signatures) with your OFFER to buy the house. A copy of it should be in the CLOSING papers.

avatar Rose

Hello KSY,
You need forms 5405, 1040X, make sure you fill them out properly, read the instructions.
If you just bought a house (oppose to mobile home or constructing a house) then you need to send in the HUD-1 Settlement Statement. All other documentation is supporting documentation for the IRS. IRS has to do research to ensure its not fraud, so if you send them the proof, the process will go a lot quicker. It would be good to include the Closing Contract that has your name, sellers name, date of purchase, address and signatures, also the pay stub has your current address – thats what they are looking for, any official paper that has your new address, this includes utility bills, updated drivers license, bank statement.
So you MUST send:
1. 5405
2. 1040X
3. HUD-1 Settlement Statement with name of buyer, seller, date of purchase and signatures
Should also send:
1. Closing Contract
2. Utilitiy bill of other document with new address
3. pay stub (maybe to prove you do not make more than the limit requires)

Since the tax season is over, the credits are getting processed a lot quicker. Peopler are getting their returns in less than a month! Be sure to include as much information/proof as possible, because if they send you a letter requesting more information, they say they can take up to another 12 weeks to process it and it could get sent to audit.
Good Luck!!!

avatar SAKS

I mailed my stuff out via normal mail on June 7, 2010. My refund check was mailed on July 23 and I received it today, July 26, 2010. I live in Indiana and I sent it to the Fresno office. After reading all the scary comments here about the Fresno office, I didn’t think I would get it back so soon, but I did……just a little over 6 weeks. Woohhhoooo! For those of you who would like to call, I used the number that was posted here and got through very easily. The woman told me that my check would be mailed on July 23 and it certainly was! I will repost the number here: 800-829-0582 EXT. 462

avatar Kel

4/29/2010 – Settled
5/6/2010 – IRS acknowledeld receipt of ammended return and hud 1 (signed by all parties)
6/17/2010 – began calling weekly for updates
7/8/2010 – Said it was being processed
7/24/2010 – Received letter from IRS requesting hud 1, driver’s license, bank statement, mortgage statement
7/24/2010 – mailed all that stuff back to them – priority
7/27/2010 – contacted tax payer advocate—I don’t feel like dealing with this anymore

avatar Scott

Hi, does anyone have any experience with the Ogden, UT office? My tax return has been sitting there since March, I sent in my HUD and additional information the first week of May, and every 30 days i received a letter saying they need 30 more days. It’s now 2 weeks since the last notice expired and they appear to have given up sending me letters. A call to the IRS said “we can’t contact tax offices, you just have to wait”

avatar Betty Acevedo

Scott, Call 800-829-0582 Ext. 462. I have been calling that office every week. I haven’t called in 2 weeks because I requested that my case be assigned to a Tax Advocate. It was assigned and he called me directly. Everytime I called the above number I had to wait 10 to 15 minutes, but a person answered that was able to bring up my file in the computer and tell me my status. I have been receiving correspondence from the Cincinnati, OH office. Good Luck! I’ve been waiting since 4/23/10 and no home credit yet. However, the advocate did inform me that my case has been approved and should receive a response in approximately a month.

avatar Peggy

Yes, my step-son is in the area supported by the Ogden office. He got a letter stating his check will be mailed in a month. Still waiting. He has been waiting since February. When he calls, they just tell him he is in the system, and they don’t need any further information. This is a bunch of BS.

avatar FRANK TREVINO

WELL HERE IS MY STORY:

SENT IN MY 1040X ALONG WITH THE 5405 AND THE HUD CLOSING SETTLEMENT FOR MOBILE HOME ON MAY 21ST AND WAS RECEIVED BY IRS MAY 28TH. IT IS NOW JULY28 AND JUST GOT OFF PHONE WITH AGENT AND SHE TOLD ME IT WAS BEING PROCESSED BUT TO WAIT THE 8-12 WEEKS TIME. SO I GUESS I AM RIGHT ONLINE HOWEVER I DID NOT SEND ALL THE OTHER DOCS THAT HAVE BEEN MENTIONED SUCH AS THE ORIGINAL SALES CONTRACT AND A COPY OF MY LICENSE, BANK STATEMENT, REGISTRATION, ETC. I ASKED THE AGENT IF I NEEDED ANYTHING BUT SHE SAID NOT AT THIS TIME. I ALSO HAD ADVISED HER THAT I ORIGINALLY PUT MY OLD ADDRESS INSTEAD OF THE NEW ADDRESS AND THAT MY NEW ADDRESS WAS CORRECT EXCEPT FOR THE SPACE NUMBER BUT SHE TOLD ME IT WAS UPDATED IN THE SYSTEM BUT STILL SHOWED THE INCORRECT SPACE NUMBER ON THE 5405 FORM. I HOPE THIS DOES NOT HOLD ME UP. THEY HAD TOLD ME ABOUT A MONTH AGO THAT ALL MY DOCS HAD BEEN SENT BACK BECAUSE OF REJECTION BUT TODAY SHE TOLD ME THEY HAD ACTUALLY BEEN MAILED TO ANOTHER IRS OFFICE. I SENT TO THE FRESNO OFFICE, DON’T KNOW WHERE IT IS NOW BUT AN BEING CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC. WELL LET EVERYBODY KNOW WHAT HAPPENS, I REALLY FEEL FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO BEEN WAITING SINCE MARCH OR BEFORE, I ONLY HOPE I HAVE GOOD LUCK AND OF COURSE GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE I KNOW WE ALL NEED THE MONEY BECAUSE OF ALL THE EXPENSES INCURRED DURING A MOVE.

avatar Jim T

To ALL,

I posted this to another response last night per a promise but I wanted others to see it…

—-
WELL WELL, Guess what I found in my Mail Box tonight! Woo Whoo!

So I say to all of you, Download the Form 886-H-FTHBC.

Follow it to the Letter like I did.

I got my Signed agreement on the offer April 26th,
Closed on house June 1st,
Mailed my 1040x, 5405 and tax return (prepared by H&R Block for $97) & all other required documents, on June 14th USPS Priority 2nd day
IRS in Texas received it June 16th
(exactly 6 weeks)

Good Luck everyone and Hang in there

Later

avatar Lisa

Well, we bought our house in April 2009 and submitted our amended 2008 tax return in September 2009. Wating. Waiting. They want an additional document from us in March 2010 so we send that in. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. We keep getting letter after letter saying that we should hear something in x number of weeks. It’s been going on FOREVER!!!! We’ve called the IRS several times, but they have NO information for us. We KNOW that we qualify for the rebate so WHAT THE HELL IS THEIR PROBLEM????!!!!!!!! We have loans to pay and debts to pay down and we just want to know what in the world is going on and why aren’t they telling us anything. It’s an absolute outrage that it should take ONE YEAR TO GET THIS F-NG 1ST TIME HOME BUYER TAX REBATE. It’s all a scam. We’re finally going to get our Congressman to look into this.

avatar kelly

I guess I should be glad to find out that I am not the only one having a problem with this but I am so frustrated I don’t know what to do. I closed on my new house on 8/28/09, mailed an amended 08 return the next day and still have not received my credit so I have been waiting almost a year now. I have called many times and always get the same answers. It wasn’t until when I called in May that someone finally told me that I had to send in additional documentation (no documentation at all was required when I first filed.) I also found out that at some point they “closed out” my amended 08 return because based on my income they did not believe I could have purchased a house. They never bothered to notify me of this or ask for proof. They have since re-opened it as an 09 return instead of 08. The taxpayer advocate service would not accept my case. I don’t know what else to do. Would it really help to contact my congressman? Are there lawyers that can help? Is there anything else I can do?

avatar Lisa

After having called the IRS again a few days ago, I was told that we actually had someone handling our case and that this person would call us. Wow, I was (almost) impressed. Well, nobody called (of course). We had been in contact with the office of our Congressman and were just about to drop off our documents and a permission for them to look into our case (our Congressman was REALLY helpful when we were in a similar situation with the Immigration Service. I really recommend that anyone with problems like this — when you just can’t get an answer from a government agency — contact their Congressman who has several really good people working hard to help their constituents with all sort of problems). However, yesterday there was a LETTER from the IRS in our mail stating that we WILL get our $8000 check (plus interest – does anyone know what that interest rate is?!). FINALLY!! We were quietly wondering if it was that last phone call that ‘did it’ and that they finally wanted to get us off their backs. I guess we will never know why it took such a long time. On the other hand, until we actually have the check in our hands, I don’t just assume that everything is resolved. Show me the money! Good luck to you others out there stuck in the same place.

avatar Sarah

Well we are over 7 months now. This last time that i sent something in, they rec’d it on July 6th, was told to wait 30 days(which would be this Thursday).. I called today to check status, as I have been every week …and was told another 6-8 weeks!!!!
I faxed all of my information to my local office to be assigned a tax advocate today!

avatar Sarah

Weird thing. I faxed in a request for a tax advocate on August 3rd and I call the IRS on August 4th and looks like my credit has been APPROVED!!! :) they said the check will be mailed within 3-4 weeks of this Friday.
Has anybody been told this? ..if so how long did it take for you to get your check? …did it actually take the full 3-4 weeks?

avatar Lailoni

HI Sarah! Congrats on this bit of info! When did you originally file and had you received a letter from the IRS stating that they were reviewing paperwork that you sent in? Just curious; that’s where I am right now and I originally filed February 21st 2010. I hope that your refund comes within that 3-4 week window! I’ll be praying for you and everyone else!

avatar Sarah

I mailed my orginial return in on January 20th 2010. Last week of March received a request for more information. Last week of May it was actually disallowed (they said they ever received more information that they requested, which is not true)
Anyhow, i then sent in the information the requested again along with:
copy of my drivers license with the new address
copy of my vehicle registration with the new address
copy of pay stub with new address
copy of mortgage statement with the new address
copy of water bill with the new address

and then i kept being told it was in processing(everytime i called they gave me a different wait time: 30 days, 45 days, 6-8 weeks) it was actually at 30 days that I got the news that it has been allowed. :)

I’m wishing you ALL the luck with this. It has been the most frustrating, disappointing process I’ve probably ever been through.
I know this site has kept me sane, just knowing there’s others going through the same troubles.

Let’s hope that since you only filed a month after me that you are just a few weeks away from the same good news!!

avatar wilder boar

I found with the IRS to not trust any verbal promises. Putting your case on some conveyor belt for any IRS agent assigned(no limitation as to number assigned to your case) to start from scratch each time(with typical IRS excuse letters making you verify and re-verifiy your residential mailing address, that you really live there, that you haven’t owned a home in over 3 years, that you are who you are, that your closing papers are the same ones you sent them several times before, that they still haven’t found your original filing forms, that you closed under as specific rebate time frame such as 2009 for the up to $8,000 rebate and NOT the 2010 $6,500 rebate, etc., etc.) is all typical of what what you will have to do.
Perhaps these agents are perpetually ‘in training’ and coaxed to ‘pass the buck’.
It will take the filer for these rebates up to two years in some cases to get a refund. I’ve gone almost seven months, and filed with a one source income hardship case.The IRS doesn’t care, their employees are kept in a job.They are not serving the public well, and have no first obligation to, anymore, like in the ‘good old days’.
This is the worst performance I’ve seen on the part of the IRS and the Federal Government to monitor the IRS’s performance in over forty years.
I did have an IRS TAS agent that I thought would be helping me to obtain my legitimate, legal, just due rebate refund, but it hasn’t happened.That agent removed themselves promptly from my case (their following of it), when they said they fulfilled what they were supposed to-”resolving”. That does not mean following to the end to make sure the regular IRS agents and people responsible for getting your refund to you, have to perform.
To open a new case with some TAS service offices, it may take them two months to get around to have time to start your case.
You are better of, I feel, contacting your Congressional representative, taking out a highway billboard, posting proliferantly online, contacting local and national media, hounding the IRS with frequent phone calls and certified mail letters(they did deny a personal fax of mine, for which I had the receipt, as always-but had told me to fax the requested information to them).
The IRS online “Where’s My Refund” site is a stupid as the Pillsbury Doughboy.

avatar wilder boar

The IRS online “Where’s My Refund” site is as stupid as the Pillsbury Doughboy.

avatar DH

Finally it’s here. I filed for homebuyers credit April 10, and 16 weeks or so later, I received the refund (from the Kansas City office).

DH

avatar Kel

DH did they request additional information from you during this 16 week period?

I’m asking because they requested additional information from me, I sent it and they received it but I was wondering if it’s going to be another 6 weeks before they actually process my refund. Things seem to be moving along much more quickly now and mine is in the Kansas cit office as well.

avatar DH

No, there was no request for further information. I did call IRS in July when I was told that the return was in process, and 12 to 16 weeks was the requisite time needed.

avatar ann

Yes!!! I finally have an answer end of August. I filed mine in Febuary and FINALLY received an answer. Sarah you took the words out of my mouth. Frustrating, stressful, and angry. After several phone calls, getting a tax advocate, it literally took an act of congress to get my refund. All else fails contact LOCAL CONGRESSMAN. To all that are waiting don’t give up it will come.

avatar wilder boar

Today, August 6, 2010, received a PARTIAL rebate from the IRS.They still have made errors on my refund; found out calling my TAS agent this morning, they “thought” I had filed under the long term homeowners rebate! I CLEARLY filed proper refunds for the advertised then 2009, up to $8,000 FTHB rebate/refund! My IRS TAS agent, again suggested, I file a 1040X.At that I know the rest of my money owed me will take another six months to arrive here. And most likely intervention of an IRS TAS agent to get it.
Out of this entire 6+ month process to get my rebate, only ONE person at the IRS was helpful and meant it-that was my IRS TAS agent(B. Johnson) out of the Fresno, CA office.She knew my hardship issues, a couple grave. She used her skill and experience to get this to and across to the IRS Processing,over whom she has no control. She was the best.The rest of the regular and auditing IRS agents need be fired, publically shamed, and the entire IRS needs revamping STAT YESTERDAY. Somewhere long the line, some agent took the personal LIBERTY of changing my filed for up to $8,000 stimulus rebate and CHANGING it on their OWN to an entirely different program than the one which I filed under. Not too swift!
I say again, CAVEAT EMPTOR when it comes to IRS promises, IRS rebate programs advertised.I am still going ‘full guns’ after the IRS for over $200 they STILL owe me. MY money.
I will keep with this forum from time to time to update you on this next stage filing to get my full refund.Best of LUCK(for that is what it will take) to all of you.

avatar Carrie Ray

Closed on 4/30/10, went “under review” on 7/12/10. I only found out when I ended up calling them myself about it. I had a panic attack when they said the words “examination unit” because I thought that I’d done something wrong. Hell, I WORK for the Federal government, I’d be the LAST one to get away with cheating on taxes!

Finding this forum has eased my mind considerably, because it appears that a lot of people have been going through this…. and that there’s been a lot of prior fraud about. As usual, the dishonest ruin it for everyone.

If the 150 days holds true in my case, I’m looking at December…. that’ll be a nice Christmas present, in any case. :D

avatar Cheryl

UPDATE: August 6th I received my refund, by direct deposit. They paid me $90.81 interest for a refund that was filed on 1/15/2010.

Just a comment on the post by Wilder Boar. My tax advocate told me the IRS has hired temps, moved people from different departments and are working OT to try to cover all the returns. Everyone knows when you hire temps and move people to a job they don’t know, the people who are training them could probably do more work on their own instead of training, supervising and correcting errors. Just my thoughts.

I hope this process moves along faster for all of you.

avatar wilder boar

I agree with Cheryl, that hiring of temps by the IRS is unproductive; especially from the standpoint of just how expediently they can be trained to produce results of a faster processing rate(questionable). Furthermore, there may be a few more chances for security breaches using outside temps and far broader chances of IRS mistakes. Additionally, putting regular and/or temp into overtime pay situations is a undue tax burden on the public. I would dread to see the IRS implement a (costly)program (at tax payer expense) to work audit their own labor cost vs.temp man hours.
One would only shudder to anticipate a simple solution to such large, broad practices of any government agency that should be operated as a tight, and streamlined business with only the goal of pure service efficiency.

avatar kelly

Update: called the IRS again today since it was 45 days after the date of the last letter I received and was told that they finally approved my refund. After 11 months. Also I had filed it as an amended 08, they closed that out at some point and reopened it as 09 but she told me today they went back and approved it from 08. Do you think they’ll pay me interest for all this time? I’m supposed to get it in 3-4 weeks so we’ll see.

avatar wilder boar

One mode of transmittal of requested additional information to the IRS, was denied as ever having been received, even though I had a receipted FAX.
The only reliable way I found was by certified mail,return receipt requested. Of course the correspodence being received in their mailing rooms and stamped, does not mean any agent will get around to reviewing what one sends right away.
Taxfilers having difficulty receiving their rebate refund are not told this of course, but we are subject to the IRS’s many internal rules without all the information on them. This non-transparency on the part of the IRS has led to much distrust.
The very first excuse letter I received from them denying my qualification for the 2009 rebate, I called them on. I knew about the commonly used excuse letter, and countered them with their ploy to “verify” MY address(they sure knew where to mail the letter to!) with several statements and told them to NOT wait the two or so weeks and mail me another document to fill out on my address(would have been a total thirty or more days). I had to keep insisting on the phone, that they drop that right then, circumvent the thirty more days and just straighten out my address right then and there. They did. I would never have received another correspondence from them if they continued to mail to old and older addresses, from which the post offices were no longer liable for forwarding! I’m not amazed at them finding several old, old addresses for me, but why the step in time BACKWARDS?

avatar J. White

Sent amended return on 6-2-10, they sent a check on July 30th…to the wrong address. Even though our amended documents had the correct mailing address, the IRS sent it to our old address. Called them, and they said whenever they receive it, they will reissue, in about 2-3 weeks. Very irritating.

avatar wilder boar

Yes, the IRS will take YOUR time, unwanted time processing to get any return/rebate processed.They are intentionally taking significantly more time reviewing, re-reviewing by multiple agents any return who has not had the tax liablity to file for years(violating particulary the majority of ADA backed people.The IRS thinks these people will complain the least…..).They do pay FULL Interest if you demand it, and in arbitrarily selected cases(no legal basis) they will fight you on a full refund(then get a free tax action lawyer, join lawsuits).They did this to me with them thinking that I’d be stupifieed by only a partial refund they recently send, the IRS taking ‘priviledge’ to put me under a totally different qualifying program stimulus then I was originally eligible for AND filed under. I will stick it to them,no matter how long(as before), keep posting and more, to make THEM perform the correct way including illegal penalties pay to me plus full interest. Done many similar things before, always, a life time of reactive, solid behavior their employees will never have ingrained, nor the Federal Government as it exists today. I don’t care about ‘them’, just me and don’t have any politeness with them in approach. Get it while you can, posters.

avatar R1e9d9a9n

I am waiting on my credit. I sent in my amended return on July 7. I’ve been calling everyday so just waiting to see. I hope it doesn’t take too long. It is now in the processing stage/ examination.

avatar tax-o-derby

R1…we are in the same boat, mine was recieved 7-6 and the IRS told me that my rebate would be mailed out on 8-20. Yet we recieved a letter yesterday dated 8-23(?) that said we “may have received our refund already by direct deposit or mail” but if not to expect it in “approximately 2 weeks.”

Has anyone else received their refund by direct deposit? I heard of one person, which I though the IRS couldn’t do that?

avatar R1e9d9a9n

Really! Wow that is good news. Was yours in examination stage? Is that a good or bad thing to be in examination?

avatar Kendra_jefferies_78

They got out original documents on 04/02/10.Was told it would be 6 weeks to get the return.We called and called to check on it but have gotten no where.On July 15 we got a letter they needed more info which we faxed in and were told it would take 30 days to review it. Well the 30 days is once again up and we have been waiting on our refund or any info on it for going on 5 months now.This is crazy and is really begining to piss me off. Is there anything I can do???

avatar Katie7447

Has anyone dealt with the Georgia office? If so how long did it take for you to get refund? mine is in futher processing right now and i daxed my papers to austin on august 5th and they are still sitting there and havent been sent to the georgia office yet? How do you get a tax avocate and should i contact one or what should i do. I am ready for my money and it’s so frustrating dealing with the stupid people on the other end of the line!

avatar Binh

I closed the house on 5/21. Procrastinated and didn’t sent in the paperwork until 7/10. On 8/6, I called and was told I would receive it in 3-4 weeks. I got the check on 8/23.

avatar Binh

I got the same letter. Got the check about 2 days later. I’m pretty sure I heard/read somewhere that you only get the check for the homebuyer rebate.

avatar Imacatlvr

We received our rebate check direct deposit, my only guess was because our original return was direct deposit.

avatar Lynn

The IRS received my paper work on 8/11 and processed, I called them on 8/25 and was told my check would be mailed out on 9/11. Even the rep said “they normally don’t process that fast”. Don’t know why mine processed so quickly but I am glad it did. I did include my HUD 1 and also a complete copy of my contract.

avatar R1e9d9a9n

Well update its been since 07/07 that is when they received. Called yesterday and they advised still processing. So I just hope I can know something soon if I have to provide documentation or when to expect check. Tick Tock Tick Tock…

avatar hollabama

I filed on March 5, 2009, been waiting since then! I received a request for more info on April 20 and faxed that information the same day. It is now in our 7th month and I get the same crud, “it’s still processing”, “it’s out of errors”, “time frame extended from 4 to 6 weeks to 9 to 12 weeks”, etc, etc…we finally filed with the tax advocacy office because we are so fed up. They have everything they need, just give us the money! Funny thing is, we had to fax in everything all over again to the tax advocacy office, it’s such a run around and it’s so frustrating. Good to hear they will be paying interest on the time they have made us wait. Does anyone know what that percentage is? How much interest and how will they determine that? I am really hoping to get this refund by mid-September or before, but at this rate, I honestly have no expectations. I called today and was told, “it’s out of processing, you had 6 weeks, it’s been 9 weeks and now it’s in Quality Control which takes 4 to 6 weeks”, what the hell is that phase? Just give me my money!!

avatar ann

***Update****
Was told by tax advocate on July 20th that I was APPROVED, I would not hear anything till the end of August. I called IRS middle of August they let me know that I was not APPROVED it was still in review and it was in “quality control” what does that mean? I asked she had NO IDEA. So I received a letter yesterday saying. “that it was still under review” I would hear something by Oct 9th. I am going on 7 months I’m afraid I want get it till my 9 month. Have anyone else had problems with the Atlanta office? I will stay hopeful…

avatar Lynn

Here’s an update. My check was actually scheduled to be mailed on 9/10/10. I recieved my check today. exactly 4 weeks from the date the IRS recieved my paperwork.

I can finally finish some odds and ends, I had put somethings on hold after reading some of the other poster’s delays I was afraid to keep dipping into my savings.

avatar Guest

***Update**** Called IRS today they said refund should be received in 3-4 weeks! Yay!

avatar R1e9d9a9n

avatar SPRING

MAILED OFF THREE SETS OF RETURNS. THE FIRST ONE BEING ON MARCH 20TH 2010. IT IS NOT SEPTEMBER 22 AND THEY STILL SAY THEY HAVE NOT RECEIVED IT. I EVEN SENT IT CERTIFIED!!!! WE HAVE DECIDED WE ARE NEVER GOING TO RECEIVE IT.

avatar Frustrated Ashley

UPDATE!!! After filing almost a complete year ago we finally have received a letter from the IRS stating that we get our check in 6-8 WEEKS!!!! Im not banking on it coming before the 8 weeks but it is still nice to have the end in sight!!

avatar Re

I am going to give you some advise make sure you include 1040X, 5405 form and the HUD Settlement Statement. Also, calll call callll. I stayed on them I would call like 2 times a week on Monday and Friday. Another hint I did but it is up to you. I applied money toward estimated taxes for 2010. I don’t know if that sped it up but they received July 07 and I spoke with them today and they said refund approved and should be receiving my check in a week.

avatar Jenny

Waiting since january when we filed. Received direct deposit for full refund today. Took 8 months to get our refund. We got a phone call from an auditor a couple weeks ago, and she said to be sure we have our full first and last names on our cell phones and home answering machines, otherwise, they will call but are not allowed to leave a message. She said she was working on “June’s” refunds that came in. We had sent in additional information for proof of residence in June. So, generally speaking, it takes about an additional 3 months for them to review additional information such as proof of primary residency. Just hang in there if you haven’t received yours yet. Its coming.

avatar wilder boar

I find no solstice in groupy togethereness, but understand the dilemna of each and sympathize.
Unregulated IRS sent me a partial return off odd dollars and odd cents only sentsually pandering to what the employees of the ‘investigation devision’ will never know.
I will be hounding them, as I did for months and months for my FULL payment remainder.I am below Federal Poverty Level Income right now, crippled, disabled, have MS, broken spine and will hound them for years to come. Medical is expensive, way beyond my reach for even basics. The IRS does owe me, I spent years paying tax in the past and I am entitiled.

avatar Paul

I closed on May 21 2010, mailed my amended return on Aug. 28 2010. I called to check the status on Sept. 27 2010 and was told that the check was going to mailed on Fri. Oct. 1 2010. That would put it at 5 weeks to process. HR Block did my amendment for 100 bucks, and couldn’t be happier.

avatar Re

*************UPDATE*******************

Official Mail out date will be October 8, 2010. With $146 in interest. So total is $8,146. Has anyone ever had a mail out date and got sooner?

avatar Re

Received today! Total of 14 weeks. $8,146. First received July 7, 2010.

avatar Hmmm

I filed amended return early April 2010. I received a letter asking for more documentation on 6/25/10. I sent it in the next day.

I received a letter saying it was received on 7/6/10 and I would hear some sort of response by 9/19/10.

Nothing yet.

For some reason, they’re sending to my previous address, even though in both my regular return and amended return, I used my new address.

My guess is that the address discrepancy is what’s slowing it down. Anyone else have this experience?

avatar elizabeth

Oh yeah I had that happen.. its like I filed my tax return based on new address, and they sent a response to an old email address that I NEVER officially filed with the state or on my Drivers license or anything. Its like, what idiot let that glitch happen?

avatar wilder boar

Could you have been dealing with a scam? The IRS does not send responses by email after the fact of submitting one’s return.

avatar ann

****Update***

Finally, received a call from tax advocate. My check will be mailed out Oct 8th with $457.34 worth of interest. That will put me at 8 LONG months. He did make a point to say that the interest will have to be paid back next year. For the many people that have been waiting FOREVER it is coming….GOOD LUCK ALL.

avatar wilder boar

It is “coming’ as long as you call, call, call the IRS for it; otherwise not. Especailly with IRS free access to ALL personal information about you, if they see you are below Federal Poverty Level Income and make any arbitrary decision they want regarding you ‘not being able to afford a home’ Our President granted the IRS more UNUSUAL powers in April, 2010 to disqualify certain classes of buyers and further save the Government a few dollars to verse the national spending payouts in the last two years.
BUYER BEWARE, and fight, fight, fight for YOUR rights.
Some off the ‘backs of the POOREST’.

avatar chemjes

Mailed ammended return May 10th 2010 with ALL the right paperwork. Nothing happened until I called Aug 1st. When called they claimed that they didnt have the closing document for my house. I know they did b/c I photocopied exactly what I sent. They said they were going to mail me something which I had to respond to, which did come in 1 week. I sent in everthing again on Aug 15th. I just called today, 10/8/10 to check. They said it was under review and I should call back in a month.

There seems to be 2 takeaways so far. 1 is that you need to call to make anything happen. This is too bad as it wastes tax payers money to have all these people around answering phones. They should’ve gave people realistic expectations instead of these 6 week rumors. 2 is that it is going to take a long time to get a return. I think I will be lucky if it happens in 2010.

avatar wilder boar

Good takeaway points, good observations; both factual.
I wish we all knew from the onset of filing, to call, call, call or forsake our legal return amounts. Made me feel like the Fed and IRS are not working for the people.
I wish all these online helpful type, sharing sites, complaint sites on the FTH stimulus rebate used realistic headlines and cut that “six weeks’” bit out. Realtors, specifically, used the ‘six weeks” enticement to get people to buy.
We all need to educate ourselves to how the government is now operating, left to our own devises on what and how we can do this.
Buyers, consumers,tax filer citizens BEWARE!

avatar elizabeth

Filed 4/15. They wanted more info in June, got notification to hear something by July 31st. Get a letter SEPTEMBER, telling me wait till 10/31! All mine through Ogden, UT!

I filed all my stuff to validate I am legit, and it takes this long???

avatar Cat

I sent my amended return on 3/2/10 the IRS received it on 3/4. Today is 10/9 and still no refund. Every time i call they say to give it 6-8 weeks because they are just “running a little behind”. Very frustrated. Was hoping to use $ for nice summer vacation, but hopefully will have by next sumer.

avatar Laurie

This has been the most frustrating experience with the IRS….we mailed EVERYTHING plus some to them…then they say they are missing a signature page from the HUD settlement statment so as instructed by the “IRS” agent, I fax the information to them….call back in two weeks…they can’t even confirm receipt but the agent does tell me something will become of this by Oct 8th….well, here it is Oct 12 and I just receceived a letter from the IRS informing me to file an “amended” return on form 1040X….I don’t have anything to amend..the information is still the same as our original return…..why is it my fault the IRS employees can’t adequately perform their job responsibilities and review the information presented to them??? And when I called on them on the most recent letter, the agent didn’t have access to the “data wharehouse” how the hell can they do their job if they don’t have access to the information?

Nice incentive President Obama…now put your actions where your mouth is….who is overseeing the agencies that are to full-fill your acts? It’s not you!

avatar kel

Called today and found that my case was finally been closed in my favor on 10/7. Does anyone know how long after approval it takes for the check to be generated and mailed?

I first filed in April, so this is the best news I’ve had in a while.

avatar re

Takes about two weeks after close to mail.

avatar wilder boar

My 1040X will be identical to my original return for which the IRS deliberately shorted me the flat amount by scale based on my tax. And I anticipate another ‘tussle’ with them, that will take a whole bunch of months just as my partial refund did.
Their agents are ill-trained, not treating one’s return FIRST just as the individual filed it under a particular stimulus. Those inept agents Ilicitately CHANGE anyone’s stimulus rebate appopo filing to any kind the agent(s) please. And that is regardless of how the individual filed the return and WHAT stimulus they filed it for. Fraud, graft in the IRS.

avatar John

What phone number can i call to check? impossible to find one!

avatar wilder boar

figure IRS will STILL be merry-go-rounding me on my return for the balance OWED ME of the FULL amount they owed me in 2009 and they will call THEIR erroneous delay MY delay so they rationalize paying me less interest.TG I’ll never have their liability on me imposed again, as punishment for requesting MY FSTHBR.

avatar Rosemary

My daughter filed in March and still has not seen her return.
Is there an advocacy group she can contact?

avatar John

filed back in February for the credit. It’s not October and nothing. I’ve called at least once a month. First they lost my info, then they sent me the wrong forms. They told me today it’ll be another 12-16 weeks which takes us to a year after first filing. You absolutely have to call to get anything done

avatar Magy

We filed in February , today is October 14 we did not get our refund yet ! the funny thing in November we got letter from IRS telling us how much we supposed to get but they did not mention when we will get the money ! toda is October 14 we got another letter saying you received First time home buyer tax credit and you can’t sell or rent the house for three years!
The funny thing we did not received a penny yet .

avatar wilder boar

All I wanted to do, was improve my house so it was liveable, some for better energy savings. The IRS gave me only a partial return, and cheated me on the interest. I am still going to file for the rest of my return. It cost well over $200 pursuing what I got. On a below poverty level SS income.
The IRS is harsh, mean, obnoxious. They are not working for the people.
LIfe is hard, but plenty, without the $ insult from the IRS over their own problems and trying to keep the legal rebate money. I hope their is a big change in Congressional seats in Nov and the biggest change in leadership in 2012, before the IRS and other government agencies are entrenched in these types of practices to the point of no ‘return’ for us.
This new-fangled IRS is shameful.

avatar wilder boar

The joy stories of checks received are far between and infrequent.
This “evaluation” and “review” terminology used so loosely by the IRS to consumers means you are under audit.Don’t feel badly, a large part of FTHBR candidates are audited; nothing new there. Make sure you stick the IRS with ALL the interest they owe you. This audit interception and delay tactic is intended to rob the public of their ‘wealth’ and unnecessay in most cases.
I have yet to see one class action suit broadly advertised appealing to cheated and delayed taxpayer filers for the FTHBR.

avatar Carrie Ray

Update: Letter from the IRS sent September 5 “requesting more information”. Gathered up everything they asked for (and a few things they didn’t) and OVERNIGHTED it all on September 8. Received all documentation on September 9 (and I know it was because it was SIGNED FOR, I have a copy of the signature confirmation). No word until September 27 – “still under review, you’ll hear from us in 30 days”. Today, October 18 – another letter, only now the story is “you’ll hear from us by November 22nd”.

At this point I think I just should have waited to file the damn thing with my ’10 tax return, because that’s how long it’s looking to be before I ever get it – IF I get it. At this point, I’m not holding my damn breath.

If I don’t hear anything in my favor by December 1st, my U.S. House rep is getting a call, along with my Senator AND the tax advocate. I am SICK OF THIS. It’s no wonder the country is the way it is.

Want to know what’s ironic? I saw a poster the other day that said “Support Obama – Vote Early.” As if!!!! He can’t manage to keep the promises that he DOES make, what makes him think I’d sign up for a second round of this?

Yes, I am UBER-TICKED.

avatar charmin

i filed my fthbc april 8 i recieved a letter august 8 for more information on august 12 they recieved it and told me i should recieve notice in 30 days september 20 i recieved a tax advocate whom told me i should hear something form her by oct 26 , oct 8 i recieved a letter stating i was approved and it will take 4- 6 wks…………. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME ….IS THAT TRUE WOW !

avatar Paul

They recieved our info on May 26th.. it went into reviews in August.. they sent in a referal on Sept 30 and said that we would definiately here something in 30 days.. welp its been 21 days so far and we have heard nothing..Has this happened to anyone else?

avatar Emily

I am in the exact same boat as you. They received my information on the 25th of June. The 18th of October was the 16th week. I called and they sent in a referal. It has only been 7days since then, but I am in desperate need of that check! I am calling again right now to ask more questions. The woman I talked to last time couldn’t even tell me on what day interest would begin to accrue. >.<

avatar KSY

Hi Everyone,
For those of you that still did not receive your refund…I feel your frustration. As you can see from my two previous posts, I sent my amended return back in March 2010 but the IRS claimed they never received it…This is what I did, after 16 weeks and getting no where with them. I went to my local IRS office with all my documents and the agent that help with my case told me exactly what I need to bring and the following day I brought all the documents to him and he submitted and gave me a stamped copy…I receive the refund 1 month after that. Good luck to you all…
ksy

avatar Tim

I closed on my very first home in early May10, filled out and sent in the 1040x, 5405, and HUD form end of May/early June. In mid July I received letter stating it was processed and denied with little to no reason as to why, when I called the number for questions/concerns on the denial, the Agent I spoke to said that I had to mail a letter with my inquiries, which I did promtly that same day. I didn’t receive a response from them until August 21/23with a Aug 16th date, stateing that it was being researched and to give them 45 days. I waited and received another letter over 45 days later asking for another 45 days. Called today and was told it was still being researched and to wait that second 45 days and call back if I dont hear anything an advocate will be assigned. This whole process is very frustrating. It will probally be resolved or denied again after I deploy in service of this country.;

avatar Susanne

You are not alone. We bought a house in May and are given the same spiel…. It is now November and I would like to know who to contact to make this right. I feel violated since I lost my joy and really need this money now.

avatar Tim

A follow up to my previous post on October 25, 2010. Now out of country for my Military duties. My wife had called asking for a tax advocate, after the last 45 days was up, which the person on the other end said, sorry you can’t get one since another letter had been sent out asking for another 45 days while it is being researched. Getting more frustrated by the day. I guess all they have to do is keep sending out letters to avoid whaat they should be doing, which is paying the people who qualify for the credit.

avatar Tim

A followup to the follow up. We finally got our check with some interest, but it only took 10 Months!!!!

avatar Kris Stille

6 to 8 weeks my a$$!! I’ve been waiting since JUNE to get my rebate. ITS IS NOT THE END OF OCTOBER!!! WHERE THE HELL IS MY MONEY IRS???!!!!! I have called them 2-3 times a month and they keep telling me it is in transit or being review. I hate the IRS

avatar wilder boar

Apparently, the IRS and our Federal Government loves the bad,criminally negligent actions against the people regarding the FTHB SR. Maybe all of them think it’s good for their re-election in November.

avatar Heather G

I am also playing this nasty game with the IRS. I have mailed paperwork to them 5 times now. Some of the requested information is duplicates from prior mailings. WTH are they doing with thte paperwork . I keep getting letters that this correspondance was recieved or now being reviewed. I call and it’s still being reviewed. I files originally february 21. It’s now creeping up on November. The last letter I recieved said I should hear something by Nov 11. It better be a damn check!

avatar amy

I have been waiting five months for my refund. I have gotten three requests for additional information and each time it is for something different and than I have to wait another 30 to 60 days. I have been requested to send my diver license with new address, mortgage statement, copy of insurance for auto and etc. I just want to thank all those that took the credit when they did not even qualify for it, so it makes us that now do qualify for the credit have to keep sending in information and waiting because of all the fraud.

(re:Amy)
An IRS TAS agent out of FRESNO told me there hasn’t really been that much fraud.
I had surmised that.

Is is scandolously shameful that the IRS(supposedly working for the people) is mistreating the people, treating a majority of rebate filers as red flag audit candidates. The people working for the IRS, and moreso the politicians who place them there, need to be fired in the Nov election. Threats of further taxation need be nipped in the bud now. The entire nationwide IRS needs to be torn apart and restructured, bring speed and efficiency-not overbearing ioppression on our pocketbooks. This would take a huge Congressional investigation and clean up under the current bulwarks of the Federal Government.

Trust you own instincts and be prepared to call several times a week, fight for your legitimate return-rebate with patience over months. I feel sorry for those who have not gotten a penny yet.
Yes, they asked me for all kinds of personal information they have no business knowing, that they can use or actually share/sell regaring how much on accounts, mortgage payment statements, drivers license, etc.. The government is trying to catalogue all the information bits they can on indiduals, now. This is not good, not in favor of our free nor entrepeneurial, nor freedom of speech.They will keep trying to take away our Constitutional liberties and using the IRS as one of their controls over us is part of that larger effort picture. Frankly, I think the IRS can be done away with, entirely.

And Amy, keep at it after the IRS, hound them-I did and am not done yet.Best to you getting your return back. THEY owe YOU.

avatar Betty Acevedo

This is incredible! We were promised a credit (incentive money) to purchase a home….and now we have to beg to get. That’s just not right. I settled late January and filed my taxes, with Home Credit paperwork, March 1st. After diligent weekly phone calls to the IRS and requesting an advocate I finally received it in September with interest. At one time when I called, someone on the other line told me my name was red flagged on the computer as calling from a prison! Imagine my surprise! I immediately went to the social security office to make certain no one else was using my social security number. The IRS office told me that one of the data entry people must have made a mistake! A mistake! That’s unforgiveable incompetence at its’ best! I didn’t get anywhere until I requested an advocate who called me and I got my check 6 weeks later. My heart goes out for those of you who have been waiting for 8 to 9 months. That shouldn’t be…..there is something wrong with that picture. No one in politics has mentioned this “blunder”…It appears to be hush, hush….Somewhere up there is probably embarrased that it has gone on this far, with no end in sight.

avatar Betty Acevedo

Ann, Yes, I finally did receive the check sometime in September with interest. It didn’t happen until I requested a tax advocate. Good Luck!

avatar Cathy

Well, I sent mine in May and still have not seen that check as of yet. Two delays and request for more info, which btw was included with orignally submission.. and now I am learning there is a revised form generated in July that I may now have to resubmit and wait yet again…congrats to those of you who were successful. IRS stall..happy to learn about the interest..

avatar John Hubers

I’m writing this in November of 2010. I filed my income tax in March of 2009 and am still waiting for the $8,000 new home tax credit. I keep hearing “we are reviewing your file.” Is there anything I can do?

avatar wilder boar

For John H and others. It’s maybe time we complain bitterly to all our Congressional Reps and Senators. We need to explain the IRS slowness to them in terms of deliberate slow pace, neglect, shoddy evaluation of incoming tax returns, them not tracking in a decent business system incoming/outgoing paperwork.Our reps and senators need to hear how INEFFICIENT this branch of government is and be told to have the IRS rehauled, giving jobs to people who are workers, not takers of paychecks and benefits ‘job earned’, stretcher-outers-of -tasks just to collect MORE pay, overtime, benefits while the rest of us in general are hard up throughout the US.

avatar Christina

This is frusterating……So I have a couple of questions…We closed on our house June 30, 2010 (but we are military so extended) Sent in Paperwork for amended 2009 taxes in late August 2010. Since we bought the house in 2010 how would we qualify for interest on 2009 taxes? Also, I tried to use their tool on line for checking my refund and it finds nothing. Don’t they send anything stating they received it or an estimated time, or is this something I have to manually call and pester them about?- Thanks in advance… Christina

avatar wilder boar

“pester”(as one poster said, bother, call very often to the IRS. Best get an IRS TAS AGENT immediately.Whatever information your TAS agent can’t take by phone,MAKE SURE you send it ONLY certified mail, return receipt requested. That is the ONLY way you will make headway getting your return-rebate. Even receipted FAXES are denied by the IRS.
CALL VERY OFTEN, MAIL ONLY CERTIFIED, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED and WAIT, and WAIT-but maybe half the time. Sure it will run high, my case a couple hundred dollars in postage getting the IRS to respond, but think of the gross amount of the rebate.

avatar John Hubers

I’ve called four times over the past five months. Each time I get: “we are processing it, sir.” The last time I got an incredibly patronizing person who told me in a voice dripping with sarcasm: “you’re talking about getting the free money from the government, right? The money you did nothing to deserve?” In other words – we’ll hold you up as long as we feel like holding you up because you don’t deserve this money in the first place.

My wife and I are actually resigned to not getting this money at all as its clear they’re just going to keep putting us off until we give up. Is there any recourse we have here?

avatar Barb

Can someone tell me how to get a tax advocate? Who do you call? I have filed an amended return and it has been 8 weeks. I have been told it has been received and it is in line to being reviewed. They said it is lawyers who are reviewing these returnes. They told me now it can be 16 weeks. I now have been reading these posts and some have not received theirs and it has been months. I need the money I have lost my job and now I will lose my first home. I need an advocate.

avatar Betty Acevedo

Barb, I requested a Tax advocate when I had called in July and they gave me one. I think it’s untrue when someone told you that lawyers are reviewing the paperwork. Maybe it’s law students, but not lawyers. Good luck with your quest in getting the money. I called them consistently every week before I received my check 6 months later.

avatar Christine

Fed up with the IRS, I filed mine first of April. It is now mid November and nothing, I have called, I have sent paper work 3 times, Once because they said they had a computer error and lost my Hud form. I have sent fed ex in August. Got a letter in Sept and said would be 30 days. Got another letter in Oct saying same thing be another 30 days. They said I was approved back in August just said they needed the Hud form again. Well I don’t know what to do. I am a single mother making it week to week and could use the funds to fix up my house, IE new Fridge, New Dryer and fix my overhang that is falling. Comeon IRS this is some BS.

avatar Ron Moore

I sent my paper return for 2009 prepared by H.R. Block into the I.R.S the middle of 1/10.My return included the 5405,First Time Homeowners Rebate,and my settlement papers from all the DOCS I got when my house closed in 9/2009.I moved in it in 10/2009.My house was a HUD home that needed some repairs.I am a senior citiuzen on a fixed income and no retirement.I get a small amount per month.I charged the cost of my repairs on my credit card to the tune of $4,000.00,to make the small house livable.HUD did not pay for any of these repairs.
I waited about three months before contacting the I.R.S.,I had not heard from them and in the past it usually took me about 4 weeks to get my refund.I file the simplest form.I called them several times and was told it’s being processed.So about the sixth month I got a taxpayer advocate.Two months later I got my regular refund of $800. They owed me 6700.I kept calling my advocateand in the 9th month, 9/10,I got a letter from a compliance officer for a meeting.I went to the meeting and brought copies of all my tax forms per her request, by the way I also mailed copies of all my tax forms to my taxpayer advocate9They were faxed costing me $11.00) .I asked each why they keep needing copies of my tax forms for 2009.They really avoided my questions.At the end of my meeting with the compliance officer she gave me a letter congratulating me saying she recommend no change in my refund.She also stated I would probably get my money before I get a final letter from her dept. closing my file, this was 9/13/10).By the way my tax payer advocate told me over the telephone that She was closing my file and that I would also get interest on my return for having to wait.In the begining of this run-around I was told my file went to Kansas City;Then later Oakland.The tax examiner in Oakland told me over the phone my return was never in Oakland, ca. Today is 11.14/2009, and I have yet to receve my Howneowners Rebate.”I DID EXACTLY WHAT PRESIDENT OBAMA TOLD AMERICANS TO DO.AND PUT REPAIRS ON CREDIT THINKING SURELY I WOULD HAVE MY REFUND IN 2-3 MONTHS,BECAUSE BEFORE MY REFUND NEVER TOOK MORE THAN 4 WEEKS.”In my mind I will not vote for President Obama next time.I was stupid enough to vote for him when he got elected.,I won’t vote for BARBARA BOXER again either because I tried to get some help from her staff before her election and was just kicked into the gutter.Ron Moore/TAX PAYING CITIZEN

avatar Ron Moore

Today is 11/14/10, and I still do not have my homeowners rebate for 2009.I used H.R. Block.I have been given the run-around by the I.R.S.I have had a tax advocate, who has closed my file after I met with a compliance officer.The compliance officer gave me a letter congratulating me and saying she recomended no changes to my return.That was two months ago.My return supposedly went to Kansas City;Oakland, and somewher else I can’t remember supposedly for processing.They owe me 6000.They finally paid me $820.which was my regular return one month ago(9 months).I called Barbara Boxers Office(My self proclaimed Rep.)Her staff kicked me to the curb.I will not vote for her again. I’m thinking seriously about not voting for Obama again too.(I guess Democrats Suck These Days)

avatar Jill

Submitted my tax return in May 2010. I split the tax credit with my boyfriend since we bought our home together. He received his half of the return within six weeks. It is now the middle of November and I still don’t have mine. I did get a letter in June which said to call them in 45 days if I heard nothing. So I called on day 45 and got crap because “It hasn’t been 45 business days yet; we don’t work on the weekends.” WELL your letter should specify BUSINESS days! I FINALLY got a letter in September requesting additional documentation including the signed HUD form which I had already submitted as well as bank statements, pay stubs, mortgage statements, etc. Got a letter saying I should hear from them by December 11th. We will see….It’s absurd that my boyfriend got his half and they’re withholding mine!

avatar John Hubers

Hi, Jill,

Well, we submitted ours in March and still haven’t gotten it. At issue (supposedly) was that we hadn’t sent in our HUD statement (our attorney’s fault actually). But that set the delay in motion. I’ve called several times, always waiting until their (arbitrary) time limit, only to be told the same thing over and over – “its in review.” When you protest they get snippy – “sir, we said its in REVIEW.” In other words – go away!

Don’t hold your breath – this is our government at its patronizing worst. I’m beginning to believe, in fact, that word has come down to not only delay, but cut off all other payments – save some money, you know.

avatar Jill

Hi John,

I actually got a letter today (although still no check) saying that I’ve recently received a new homeowner’s tax credit and explaining how repayment works if you move in the next three years…so I’m assuming the check is not far behind (I hope!).

avatar John

That’s good to hear. Did you use a tax advocate? That seems to be the way people have gotten their case heard.

avatar Jill

Hi John,

I actually did not use a tax advocate. I called the IRS two or three times. Once they sent out the letter asking me for my additional information they got the ball rolling relatively fast and I received my check today. It was definitely a pain in the butt process and having to be patient but hopefully yours will come soon!

Good luck,
Jill

avatar Christy

I mailed my ammended 2008 return along with form 5405 and a copy of my drivers license April 15th of this year. I received their request for additional documentation mid to late July. I returned the Purchase Agreement, signed and dated by both myself, my husband, and the seller, a copy of my most recent bank statement showing the address of the purchased home, U.S.P.S change of address confirmation, also showing the new homes address, and copies of every cancelled check written for the mortgage payment dating back to the January 12, 2009 purchase date. This was everything the IRS requested. In fact, I exceeded their request for proof of payment and faxed everything back to them the same day I received the letter. Every 6 weeks since then I’ve called to check on my refund (the time on hold is utterly absurd) and each time I’m told my submission is awaiting review, and could take another 6-8 weeks. The calls all end with an unfaltering invitation to call back in a couple of weeks for an update. The sad reality of this is I’ve yet to receive an update, OR, needless to say, a check!

avatar Tamra

That is exactly what is going on with us…. Sent all the stuff in April… last month they request more info… sent that in. Got in the mail letter saying they recieved everything and will be under review until 11-30-10… So very frustrated…. was really hoping to have a little extra Christmas money… Looks like next year some time… :(

avatar Christy

I called them again this morning, a feat which is proving them to be as useless as used toilet paper. The only update I received was that they’d mailed me a letter on November 5th, whose contents, she replied, “were unknown/unavailable to her” and if I hadn’t received it within 30 days of its mailing (she inaccurately quoted the deadline to be the 2nd week in December, her precise words “by the 12th of December”) to call back in. No doubt another one of their stall tactics. The only good thing that came of this conversation, my one and only glimmer of hope, was that she acknowledged it had been over 16 weeks since the RECEIPT of my ammended return, and verbally conceded it had been an unusually long wait for information (she must’ve been new to admit to wrongdoing on their part). Under the advice of other poster’s both here and other websites, I’ve began filling out the application for an Advocate. I suggest anyone else on this boat do the same. Good luck everyone!

avatar Christy

More news! Got a call from home saying I had received said Mystery Letter from the IRS today. More accurately, I received a large envelope from IRS Submission Processing Center as well as a standard envelope from the IRS Department of Treasury. Anyone gotten these? I won’t be home to open them ’til Monday! The suspicion is killing me! I was only expecting the one Mystery Letter.

avatar Nadiyah

Sounds like the IRS just doesn’t want to give taxpayers what is due to them. I closed 6/16 and sent the paperwork in 2 days later. they came back twice requesting additional information..not to mention the fact they lost my amended return and said I did not submit it! After sending them all the information requested, the file was complete on 8/16. Yesterday, I called and they are stating my case is closed, but no notes in the system as to why! This has been the most frustrating process. They are quick to take money, but slow as crap refunding money. I just don’t get it. Now I’m going to seek a tax advocate for assistance. This is TRULY insane! Guess I’ll be waiting another 6 months!

avatar Frustrated Ashley

Hey all! There is a light at the end of this horribly long tunnel of doom! We received our money plus interest exactly one day shy of a year!! Ridiculous, but it did come! Now I fully believe that if we did not have a tax advocate it would of taken even longer.

avatar Carrie Ray

Received a letter today dated November 18th stating that “my refund has been approved”. Of course, there’s now a 6 to 8 week waiting period for it, heh.

I estimate that I’ll probably finally receive this money – IF I do, that is – by early February.

Ten MONTHS after I send in the paperwork. Unbelievable.

But at least the wait is almost over – I hope. I won’t believe it until I actually hold the check in my hand.

Hang in there, all of those who haven’t gotten it yet. I totally feel your pain.

avatar Belle

I filed my tax return on Oct. 12, 2010 and 5 weeks later got by $8,000 check with $157 additional interest. I’m still in shock because I’ve heard so many horror stories about delays etc. All I know is that I brought my paperwork to H&R Block, they did my tax return and we attached my HUD, signed purchase agreement, and 2 pieces of mail I had recieved at my new address (401k and mortgage statement). I’ve heard that if you don’t send all of the information in correctly the first time, your return gets flagged as possible fraud, and thats when the long delays start. I honestly think having a professional look everything over and sending in proof that I am actually living in the home I purchased helped speed things along. I also didn’t call and harass the IRS people. I had a friend that did that and it didn’t help her case one bit, 3 months and she’s still waiting :(

avatar Maria

I sent in my amendment paperwork April 15th, called today and it is still under review. I just keep getting the run around they tell me they didn’t receive copies of paperwork, bull. I made copies of everything I sent for my own record, I open the folder and there they are. I think they claim they didn’t receive them just so they can stall more. I wish they were just up front and honest, then I wouldn’t be anticipating the refund. I think prisoners that are being fraudulent receive their check before me at this point.

avatar Carrie Ray

Final update to my update to my update: (yeah, I know..)

Received check today, December 1, for the full amount plus 200 in interest. It only took 7 months, 2 weeks and 2 days! :p

For those of you still doing the waiting dance: hang in there. I know it’s rough, but you will eventually see action. It might take 7 months, 2 weeks, etc… but you will.

avatar Tony

I submited my paper work to adjust my 09 tax return June 7.
I still have not recieved my credit. I called to check the status in
August. They said they recieved the paper work July 14 & the
processing time is 16-18 weeks. I still have not recieved my credit.
I’m not happy with the turn around time. I keep reminding myself
this program has never exsisted before and is part of the reason
why I bought my home. With that being said I want my damn money….lol

avatar John Hubers

Filed in March. Still waiting. Everytime I’ve called I get: “we are processing your paperwork.” Several dates I was given have passed. I get the same response: “we are processing your paperwork.”

My mistake? Actually it was our accountant. We gave him our HUD statement. He failed to send it in. This started the process giving the IRS an excuse to not pay us. The last conversation I had with an agent was disturbing to say the least. With sarcasm dripping from her mouth she said: “So you have a problem not receiving this free money that you did nothing to earn?” I guess they want us to beg.

avatar Barb

Received my check Dec 20th 2010. I sent in the paperwork Sept 17, 2010 I sent in a amended return and got my Christmas present.I had a tax service prepare it for me.

avatar John Hubers

Finally got an agent that I could converse with beyond: “it’s being investigated, sir. You just have to be patient.” This time he passed me on to another agent who said: “What we need is proof that you were out of your last residence for over three years.” That’s it. That’s what all this was about. The question is – why didn’t they tell me this back in June when I made the first inquiry, as I could have sent that on to them immediately.

So I’ll send on the papers and see what happens. . .

avatar Lisa

Am I the only one STILL waiting? We bought our home in Febuary 2009 and we filed in April. Since then we’ve received at least 7 letters saying the IRS will get back to us. We’ve called and called. It’s now Jan 2010 making it 9 months since we filed. Then today when we called, my husband was hung up on after being on hold for 30 minutes and when he called back after another 30 minute wait, an automated response said the IRS could not take our call. What the hell is up with this?! I’m so sick of waiting and getting the run around. This is horrible service! I just wish we didn’t need the money to get out of the debt we’re in for buying our house!