I’ve decided to clean out my apartment a small amount by selling some used books on Amazon.com. Most are college textbooks that have been sitting around for quite a while. I’m writing about this here for two reasons. First of all, I’ll track my experience selling on Amazon.com. Secondly, maybe there are readers of this blogs who happen to be interested in the books, and if so, here’s a chance to directly affect my income as I report every month.
Signing up to sell your own items through Amazon.com is pretty simple. Start here by entering the first item you wish to sell. If it’s your first time, you will go through a registration process where your identity is verified using a credit card. You will then be asked to set up your Amazon Payments account which will allow Amazon.com to deposit your revenue directly into your checking account every two weeks.
Once the registration process is complete, you will be returned to the form for selling your item. Describe the condition and set a price. I suggest opening the item’s page to view the prices other sellers are offering for the same item. This will help you select a price that will be noticed and will hopefully result in a quick sale. Once your shipping preference is entered (Amazon.com reimburses you for shipping but takes a $0.99 fee plus an additional fee based on a percentage of the sale price), you will be able to add another item.
Update: The first book was sold less than ten hours after listing for $40!
Continue reading for the list of books I’m selling through Amazon.com.
* Reasons for Living: A Basic Ethics by Porter, Burton F.
* Romantic Music: A History of Musical Style in Nineteenth-Century Europe (SOLD!)
* Straight Talk About Mental Tests by Arthur R. Jensen
* The Divine Proportion [Paperback] by Huntley, H. E.
* The Human Brain: A Guided Tour (Science Masters Series) by Greenfield, Susan A
* The Modern Conductor: A College Text on Conducting (SOLD!)
* Instrumentation and Orchestration [Hardcover] by Blatter, Alfred (SOLD!)
* Psychology by Darley, John M
* Writing About Music: An Introductory Guide by Wingell, Richard J.
* The Mind of a Mnemonist : A Little Book about a Vast Memory (SOLD!)
* Anthology for Musical Analysis by Burkhart, Charles
* The Enjoyment of Music by MacHlis, Joseph; Forney, Kristine
* Psychology: Themes and Variations (Psychology) [Hardcover] by Weiten, Wayne
* Sociocultural Perspectives in Social Psychology: Current Readings
* Modern Music: A Concise History (World of Art) by Griffiths, Paul
* Sound Recording Practice [Paperback] by Association of Professional Recording
* The Modern Conductor (6th Edition) [Hardcover] by Green, Elizabeth A.
Updated May 5, 2014 and originally published August 21, 2005. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.