- Consumerism Commentary - https://www.consumerismcommentary.com -

2017 IRS Standard Deductions and Exemptions

Most taxpayers can choose between itemizing tax deductions to reduce taxable income, which requires accurate record-keeping and support and taking the standard deduction. The standard tax deduction is a fixed amount that reduces the amount of money on which year-end taxes are calculated. Generally, if you can show that you’ve had more deductible expenses than the amount of the default standard deduction, it’s better to itemize.

IRS publication 501 [1] outlines each year’s deduction amounts. There are some cases where adjustments should be made to the standard deduction. For example, if you are 65 or older, or if you are blind, the standard deduction increases.

The standard exemption is another deduction to your income that you can take [2] for yourself and for any dependents.

Tax Year 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Single $6,350 $6,300 $6,300 $6,200 $6,100 $5,950 $5,800 $5,700 $5,700
Married filing jointly $12,700 $12,600 $12,600 $12,400 $12,200 $11,900 $11,600 $11,400 $11,400
Married filing separately $6,350 $6,300 $6,300 $6,200 $6,100 $5,950 $5,800 $5,700 $5,700
Head of household $9,350 $9,300 $9,250 $9,100 $8,950 $8,700 $8,500 $8.400 $8,350
Personal exemption $4,050 $4,050 $4,000 $3,950 $3,900 $3,800 $3,750 $3,650 $3,650

Note: When you file taxes in April 2017, you’re actually filing for your 2016 earned income. Review the numbers in the 2016 column and understand the federal tax brackets [3].

A dependent child can increase the standard deduction by as much as $1,000, if certain requirements [4] are met.

Do you itemize your tax deductions or take the standard deduction?

23 Comments (Open | Close)

23 Comments To "2017 IRS Standard Deductions and Exemptions"

#1 Comment By Anonymous On January 5, 2011 @ 8:42 am

The standard deduction is about all you get when you’re retired. With the exception of one year where Medical Expenses (Dental expenses not covered by Medical Insurance) exceeded the standard deduction, all of my filings have been based on the standard deduction. But I’m looking forward to taking more exemptions when I turn 65 in a couple of years – followed by my wife a couple of years later. I guess those extra exemptions are like having a nice scenic view appear on your way downhill… :-)

#2 Comment By rewards On January 5, 2011 @ 8:47 am

I itemize mainly due to high property taxes.

#3 Comment By cstrunk On January 5, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I’m young (early 20s) and a renter, so I don’t think I’ll be itemizing anytime soon. It’s all about the adjustments and credits for me!

#4 Comment By Anonymous On January 5, 2011 @ 10:11 am

I itemize as well due to [5] and student loan interest.

#5 Comment By Anonymous On January 5, 2011 @ 11:24 am

We definitely itemize. This is primarily driven by owning a home, which includes interest expense and property taxes that are included in the itemized deductions.

#6 Comment By Sarah On January 5, 2011 @ 11:34 am

I’ve always just taken the standard deduction, mostly because I’ve used online software to file my taxes and the itemized deductions always seemed so complicated, I was afraid I would make some sort of mistake.

#7 Comment By kurt.moeller On January 5, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I let an accountant handle it, between that and a small business it is simpler letting a professional decide what the best option is for me. That way I don’t have to worry as much that there is a mistake present!

#8 Comment By Anonymous On July 20, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

Concur with the above posting 110%!

We pay our CPA/Tax Preparer $275/year (that’s just 75 CENTS/day annualized!) to prep & submit (electronically) BOTH our Fed & State personal income taxes – it’s always money well invested!

While his fee is not deductible (we’re fully retired) – his expertise ensures our income & deductions are correct. He reviews ALL associated supporting paperwork for accuracy (e.g., 1099-Rs, investment gains/losses, mortgage interest & property tax verifications, non-business energy tax credits), often finding deductions we would have overlooked had we tried to do our returns ourselves. Furthermore, as a ‘signer’ attesting to his preparation work, we no longer worry about an audit as we’ll have a true professional at our side!

#9 Comment By tbork84 On January 5, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

I am in the 20-something/single/renter category, so I will take the standard deduction and not worry about it. As far as I understand it, without a mortgage there are very few reasons that would justify itemizing.

#10 Comment By mrtrend On January 5, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

I usually check which option gives me the smaller tax bill. Using an online software like Turbotax, first I do my tax using the standard deduction and I write down the final tax bill. Then I switch from standard deduction to itemize. If the new tax bill is higher, it only takes me a second to switch back to standard deduction. I always plan on itemizing (keep all my receipts) because I never know how much I will end up spending on health care.

#11 Comment By ajonesin On January 5, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

I am a standard deduction kind of guy. I never have enough itemized deductions to match it, but I always check.

#12 Comment By Anonymous On January 5, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

Currently, I itemize, but expect to go to a standard deduction when I retire. If circumstance change, I change with it!

#13 Comment By Anonymous On January 5, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

I’ve never itemized because I’m young and rent. In fact, I’m not even sure what qualifies when you itemize.

#14 Comment By Anonymous On January 5, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

I always take the standard deduction because I too rent. Though I am not as young as some of the others who have said this. And being married just makes the standard deduction twice as big :)

#15 Comment By Anonymous On January 5, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

A dependent doesn’t increase the standard deduction for their parents, do they? Instead they get their own, which is equal to their earned income plus $300, but no lower than $950 and no higher than $5,800.

#16 Comment By Anonymous On January 6, 2011 @ 2:09 am

I figure it both ways every year and take the larger (obviously!) Because we move a lot, and sometimes live in rentals and sometimes live in houses we own, the best choice changes every year.

Just because you own a home doesn’t automatically mean that the itemized deduction is a better choice for you. If your mortgage interest is small, even including mortgage interest may not bring your itemized deductions up to the amount of the standard deduction. Plus, less paperwork with the standard deduction!

#17 Comment By Anonymous On January 7, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

If you use tax software it will figure both and tell you which is better.

#18 Comment By jillianb On January 6, 2011 @ 10:49 am

I’m a 20-something so it’s all about the standard deduction. I just started up my own company so soon there will be a whole new host of tax issues to look out for. I’m looking forward to the challenge.

#19 Comment By faithfueledbennetts On January 9, 2011 @ 9:59 am

I have always taken the standard deduction in the past. Taxes are a gray foggy area for me, so it’s always nice to be eductaed on any of it!

#20 Comment By faithfueledbennetts On January 9, 2011 @ 10:00 am

I have always taken the standard deduction in the past. Taxes are a gray foggy area for me, so it’s always nice to be educated on any of it!

#21 Comment By gotr31 On January 11, 2011 @ 11:44 am

It isn’t that hard to figure out your itemized deductions if you use tax software.

#22 Comment By Anonymous On April 19, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

Last year I gave each of my seven children $4000 as a gift. Is that deductible?

#23 Comment By Anonymous On January 26, 2013 @ 10:39 pm

Capital gains are taxed at a lower rate because the proceeds from the investments are used to create and/or sustain businesses that HIRE people. Also investors do not always make money. Many times they LOSE money. The lower tax rate is to give them incentive to put their money at RISK which allows more people to be HIRED. Also, LOSSES from investments are LIMITED in their deductibility, while their gains must be reported without limit.